Question about using the Rubber Stamp Tool . . .

SS
Posted By
Stan Shankman
Apr 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

This has been bugging me for some time.
I often keep a layer as a copy of the one I’m working on. I may be making erasures on a layer to allow for some underlying image to "surface". And occasionally (well maybe almost always) I do a little overcutting. No problem, I just go to my "copy" layer, and set the rubber stamp, and then I go to the layer I have overcut and stamp the original image back in as needed. Or, I overcut intentionally, so that I can gain a better perspective of what it is I am doing and then I use the rubber stamp (often times in airbrush mode) to fill in the cut as I see fit. I find that by both cutting and filling, I’m able to crate a more realistic result when, say, putting one face over another. A little ying, a little yang.
Anyway, my problem is that by using this technique, it requires that the source and destination cursors be aligned pixel accurate and to the very same pixel. And in the past I have always done this by selecting a brush of size one, and then aligning on an obviously identifiable pixel. But it’s tedious. So, my question is, how do the big boys deal with this? What should I be doing?
And please, don’t go telling me about the "alignment" check box. This is for stroke alignment, and not for initial source-destination alignment. (And I personally think the checkbox is misnamed.)
Anyway, I’ll be kick’n back here and waiting for replies.

Thanks all,
– Stan Shankman

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Caitlin
Apr 7, 2005
"Stan Shankman" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I often keep a layer as a copy of the one I’m working on. I may be making erasures on a layer to allow for some underlying image to "surface". And occasionally (well maybe almost always) I do a little overcutting. No problem, I just go to my "copy" layer, and set the rubber stamp, and then I
go to the layer I have overcut and stamp the original image back in as needed. Or, I overcut intentionally, so that I can gain a better perspective
of what it is I am doing and then I use the rubber stamp (often times in airbrush mode) to fill in the cut as I see fit. I find that by both cutting
and filling, I’m able to crate a more realistic result when, say, putting one face over another. A little ying, a little yang.
Anyway, my problem is that by using this technique, it requires that the source and destination cursors be aligned pixel accurate and to the very same pixel. And in the past I have always done this by selecting a brush of
size one, and then aligning on an obviously identifiable pixel. But it’s tedious. So, my question is, how do the big boys deal with this? What should I be doing?
And please, don’t go telling me about the "alignment" check box. This is for
stroke alignment, and not for initial source-destination alignment. (And I personally think the checkbox is misnamed.)
Thanks all,
– Stan Shankman
The best method is probably to take a snapshop (in the history palette) of your unaltered image. (To do this, right click on the step in the history list) Then once you’ve done your editing choose the history brush, select the snapshop as the source (click on the box next to the snapshot so a paintbrush icon appears), then paint back the old pixels!
B
Brian
Apr 7, 2005
Caitlin wrote:

Hi everyone,

I often keep a layer as a copy of the one I’m working on. I may be making erasures on a layer to allow for some underlying image to "surface". And occasionally (well maybe almost always) I do a little overcutting. No problem, I just go to my "copy" layer, and set the rubber stamp, and then I
go to the layer I have overcut and stamp the original image back in as needed. Or, I overcut intentionally, so that I can gain a better perspective
of what it is I am doing and then I use the rubber stamp (often times in airbrush mode) to fill in the cut as I see fit. I find that by both cutting
and filling, I’m able to crate a more realistic result when, say, putting one face over another. A little ying, a little yang.
Anyway, my problem is that by using this technique, it requires that the source and destination cursors be aligned pixel accurate and to the very same pixel. And in the past I have always done this by selecting a brush of
size one, and then aligning on an obviously identifiable pixel. But it’s tedious. So, my question is, how do the big boys deal with this? What should I be doing?
stroke alignment, and not for initial source-destination alignment. (And I personally think the checkbox is misnamed.)
Thanks all,
– Stan Shankman

The best method is probably to take a snapshop (in the history palette) of your unaltered image. (To do this, right click on the step in the history list) Then once you’ve done your editing choose the history brush, select the snapshop as the source (click on the box next to the snapshot so a paintbrush icon appears), then paint back the old pixels!
Hi Stan,

Another way to do what you want is this: You have the original image open, click Ctrl-J to make a copy of the background. The background is your "fall back" image. Bring the new photo onto a layer between the background and copy of background layers. Now it is really simple. Working on the top layer (copy of background) – you erase to reveal the new image, paint over the areas you did not intend to reveal with the history brush tool. Simple as that. You can erase / put back as often as you like till all is perfect.

Regards,
Brian.
T
Tacit
Apr 7, 2005
In article ,
"Stan Shankman" wrote:

I often keep a layer as a copy of the one I’m working on. I may be making erasures on a layer to allow for some underlying image to "surface". And occasionally (well maybe almost always) I do a little overcutting. No problem, I just go to my "copy" layer, and set the rubber stamp, and then I go to the layer I have overcut and stamp the original image back in as needed. Or, I overcut intentionally, so that I can gain a better perspective of what it is I am doing and then I use the rubber stamp (often times in airbrush mode) to fill in the cut as I see fit.

Wow, you’re doing things the hard way. You need to learn about layer masks.

I find that by both cutting
Anyway, my problem is that by using this technique, it requires that the source and destination cursors be aligned pixel accurate and to the very same pixel. And in the past I have always done this by selecting a brush of size one, and then aligning on an obviously identifiable pixel. But it’s tedious. So, my question is, how do the big boys deal with this? What should I be doing?

Forget erasing. Never erase the contents of a layer; instead, use a layer mask.

A layer mask is just what its name implies–a mask that hides part of a layer and reveals part of a layer. If you paint in black on a layer mask, it looks like you are erasing the part of the layer–it vanishes, just like it does if you use the Eraser tool. However, it is still there, only hidden. If you paint in white in a layer mask, the original layer comes back.

When you erase part of a layer, it’s gone. When you use a layer mask, it looks like it’s gone, but it’s still there–it’s just hidden. You can bring it back any time.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
B
Brian
Apr 7, 2005
Tacit wrote:
In article ,
"Stan Shankman" wrote:

I often keep a layer as a copy of the one I’m working on. I may be making erasures on a layer to allow for some underlying image to "surface". And occasionally (well maybe almost always) I do a little overcutting. No problem, I just go to my "copy" layer, and set the rubber stamp, and then I go to the layer I have overcut and stamp the original image back in as needed. Or, I overcut intentionally, so that I can gain a better perspective of what it is I am doing and then I use the rubber stamp (often times in airbrush mode) to fill in the cut as I see fit.

Wow, you’re doing things the hard way. You need to learn about layer masks.

I find that by both cutting

Forget erasing. Never erase the contents of a layer; instead, use a layer mask.

A layer mask is just what its name implies–a mask that hides part of a layer and reveals part of a layer. If you paint in black on a layer mask, it looks like you are erasing the part of the layer–it vanishes, just like it does if you use the Eraser tool. However, it is still there, only hidden. If you paint in white in a layer mask, the original layer comes back.

When you erase part of a layer, it’s gone. When you use a layer mask, it looks like it’s gone, but it’s still there–it’s just hidden. You can bring it back any time.
Tacit’s method is the way to go if you are saving at regular intervals (as one always should). My method is fine for a quick job of the nature you are talking about, that will be done in one short session. You lose nothing erasing the layer because you can bring it back with the history brush tool, or simply delete the layer altogether and create a new one from the background.

Brian.
K
KatWoman
Apr 7, 2005
contrarian that I am and self taught, I do know the layer mask methods and use them for certain things like hiding the background and changing it.

But most often I am retouching faces and portraits. Often I do stuff and if I don’t like the result I will erase it.
I ALWAYS keep the original image on the first background layer, then I duplicate it and work on the layer above the orig. Then if I mess up an area I can erase to see the original layer under. To fill in the erased areas on the above layer, I make another duplicate layer of the original, place it under the retouched, erased layer, then use merge down, so I have a complete image on the retouch layer, plus my unretouched original on the background layer.
You can also lasso an area and use paste above it and merge down to restore an area to the original.

Hi everyone,

Thanks all,
– Stan Shankman

M
mono
Apr 7, 2005
Stan Shankman wrote:
snip
Anyway, my problem is that by using this technique, it requires that
the
source and destination cursors be aligned pixel accurate and to the
very
same pixel. And in the past I have always done this by selecting a
brush of
size one, and then aligning on an obviously identifiable pixel. But
it’s
tedious. So, my question is, how do the big boys deal with this? What should I be doing?

If you want to do it this way why not use the x y coordinates in the info palette to precisely locate the cursor for the source and destination. Just go to where you want the source to be, make a note of the coordinates and locate the same ones for when you set the destination.

Brian
(the other one)
B
Brian
Apr 8, 2005
KatWoman wrote:
contrarian that I am and self taught, I do know the layer mask methods and use them for certain things like hiding the background and changing it.
But most often I am retouching faces and portraits. Often I do stuff and if I don’t like the result I will erase it.
I ALWAYS keep the original image on the first background layer, then I duplicate it and work on the layer above the orig. Then if I mess up an area I can erase to see the original layer under. To fill in the erased areas on the above layer, I make another duplicate layer of the original, place it under the retouched, erased layer, then use merge down, so I have a complete image on the retouch layer, plus my unretouched original on the background layer.
You can also lasso an area and use paste above it and merge down to restore an area to the original.

Hi Katwoman,

like you, I am self taught (hundreds of hours of reading and many more in practice) and I do what works best for me. I often see tutorials telling one how to do something which I can do it in half the time. At the end of the day, do what works best for you. I certainly do.

Brian.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections