mgg310
Sep 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope this is just me being stupid…
I’m running Windows 98 and Photoshop Elements 2.0
When I select the clone stamp tool and press and hold the Alt key the cursor changes to a ‘target’. While holding the Alt key down I click the left mouse button. Then release the button and then release the Alt key. Next I move the circular cursor to the region of interest and click the left mouse button. Every time I get a message: "Could not complete your request because the area to clone has not been defined. (Alt-click to define a source point)."
I’ve tried this on a freshly loaded file, on an unlocked copy of the layer, and, following the procedure outline in the knowledge base, turned off all running program using Ctrl/Alt/Delete except Photoshop Elements and Explorer. No change.
Anyone know a solution??
Mike Gordon.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DS
Dick_Smith
Sep 30, 2003
MIke,

Two thoughts…

First, try resetting your clone tool. You will see an icon of the clone tool at the left end of the options bar for the clone tool. Put your pointer over it and click the left mouse button, choose "reset tool". See if this helps.

Second, make sure when you use the "alt/click" function to pick an area that your mouse is steady over the area you want to choose and that you just "click" the left button, don’t hold it down for any length of time at all.

Make that three thoughts! Thirdly, make sure the layer you want to use as the source of the cloning is the active layer.

Hope any of this will help

Dick Smith
JF
Jodi_Frye
Sep 30, 2003
I think it’s the order you are using in the alt click. Hold the alt key down, click once with the clone tool in the area you want to pick up and then let go of the alt key. The area you clicked on can now be transfered to wherever you wish on the screen. Hope that helps.

edit; goodmorning Dick, you weren’t there a minute ago 😉
PD
Pete_D
Sep 30, 2003
Mike,

Also make sure that the "use all layers" box is checked.

Pete
DS
Dick_Smith
Sep 30, 2003
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:44:14 -0700, wrote:

Hi, Jodi,

I was there then gone, like a will ‘o the wisp! Back now, 7 hours later. 🙂
Was up early to get ready to go teach.
Dick

edit; goodmorning Dick, you weren’t there a minute ago 😉

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 1, 2003
Goodnight Dick 😉

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections