Apr 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please take a look to 500 MP photo

www.haltadefinizione.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
Stephan
Apr 1, 2005
Tom wrote:

www.haltadefinizione.com

Interesting but you are too late to make it sensational.. Some guys are routinely producing pictures twice the size of yours these days

Stephan
I
Interested
Apr 1, 2005
I think its great. Thank you.

"Tom" wrote in message

www.haltadefinizione.com
H
Hecate
Apr 1, 2005
On 1 Apr 2005 07:44:09 -0800, (Tom) wrote:

www.haltadefinizione.com

Is that 500MP along one side, or the length multiplied by the width. And if it’s the latter, so what?

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
S
steel
Apr 2, 2005
Hecate …

www.haltadefinizione.com

Is that 500MP along one side, or the length multiplied by the width. And if it’s the latter, so what?

Hecate – The Real One

The image size is 19250 (width) x 26704 (lenght) pixel = 514.052.000 pixel
H
Hecate
Apr 3, 2005
On 2 Apr 2005 00:06:45 -0800, (Tom) wrote:

Hecate …

www.haltadefinizione.com

Hecate – The Real One

So it’s a medium to large sized image then. And the point is?

Hecate – The Real One

B
Brian
Apr 3, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 2 Apr 2005 00:06:45 -0800, (Tom) wrote:

Hecate …

www.haltadefinizione.com

Hecate – The Real One

So it’s a medium to large sized image then. And the point is?

Hecate – The Real One

What planet are you on Hecate? 500mp is FAR from medium. How many people do you know using 500MP cameras? How many MP is the Canon EOS 1D? The person who posted that message was quite overwhelmed and excited by the size of the image from that 500MP camera (which was huge). Why put a damper on that?

There may be much larger ones out there (I would not know?), but if you have a friend who is 7ft tall, does that mean your 6ft 8" friend is not tall? If you see my point.

Brian.
H
Hecate
Apr 4, 2005
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:51:54 +1000, Brian
wrote:

What planet are you on Hecate? 500mp is FAR from medium. How many people do you know using 500MP cameras? How many MP is the Canon EOS 1D? The person who posted that message was quite overwhelmed and excited by the size of the image from that 500MP camera (which was huge). Why put a damper on that?

Because images that size are common to users of medium and large format film. They are common to advertising photographers who use both those sizes and use things like Leaf scanning backs. (here I mean in terms of megabytes as well). And they’re common to anyone using 35mm film, scanning it in and making a few adjustments. Using a Minolta Elite scanner, my starting size for an image is 120Mb and . He’s not using a 500MP camera anyway, there isn’t one that size to my knowledge. Not even the Leaf scanning backs are that size. The only way you will get an image that size is either by stitching or interpolation.

There may be much larger ones out there (I would not know?), but if you have a friend who is 7ft tall, does that mean your 6ft 8" friend is not tall? If you see my point.
No, not at all, I’m afraid. I’d love to know where this 500 MP camera is and who makes it though.

Hecate – The Real One

B
Brian
Apr 4, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:51:54 +1000, Brian
wrote:

Because images that size are common to users of medium and large format film. They are common to advertising photographers who use both those sizes and use things like Leaf scanning backs. (here I mean in terms of megabytes as well). And they’re common to anyone using 35mm film, scanning it in and making a few adjustments. Using a Minolta Elite scanner, my starting size for an image is 120Mb and . He’s not using a 500MP camera anyway, there isn’t one that size to my knowledge. Not even the Leaf scanning backs are that size. The only way you will get an image that size is either by stitching or interpolation.

No, not at all, I’m afraid. I’d love to know where this 500 MP camera is and who makes it though.

Hecate – The Real One

Hi Hecate,

I did not read the article, just looked at the pic and scrolled it. There was a similar article in here a couple of weeks ago, and the image in that article was made by using a series of cameras in unison connected to a computer which created the single image. Maybe that was done here?

With those 120+mb images you work with, are they for posters of images you have taken? (just curious). What sort of quality are you getting out of those? It still seems that unless you are rich, film remains the best way to get "large" sized prints from a relatively inexpensive camera.

On that point, is there anyone in here using higher end digital cameras, say the 16+ mb cameras (or less even), who can tell me the size of image they can obtain at photo quality? The pixels don’t always seem to tell the story. I have seen images of lesser dimensions that are so high in quality that they print better than a much larger image in lower quality.

Brian.
H
Hecate
Apr 4, 2005
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:19:19 +1000, Brian
wrote:

Hi Hecate,

I did not read the article, just looked at the pic and scrolled it. There was a similar article in here a couple of weeks ago, and the image in that article was made by using a series of cameras in unison connected to a computer which created the single image. Maybe that was done here?

No idea. The point is that the OP is saying *wow, look at me, I used millions of pixels" whereas the appropriate, and only, question worth asking is "Is the image any good?".

With those 120+mb images you work with, are they for posters of images you have taken? (just curious). What sort of quality are you getting out of those? It still seems that unless you are rich, film remains the best way to get "large" sized prints from a relatively inexpensive camera.

Fine Art images, mainly. But various uses, usually printing at 360ppi with anything from 360-1440 dpi prints. The odd poster at 240ppi (although I have been told that 180 is worth trying – certainly for larger images that makes sense.)

On that point, is there anyone in here using higher end digital cameras, say the 16+ mb cameras (or less even), who can tell me the size of image they can obtain at photo quality? The pixels don’t always seem to tell the story. I have seen images of lesser dimensions that are so high in quality that they print better than a much larger image in lower quality.
The larger the image, the smaller the ppi required because of the viewing distance. I’ve seen images from the 1Ds II printed at A2 and they were very high quality.

Hecate – The Real One

B
Brian
Apr 5, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:19:19 +1000, Brian
wrote:

Hi Hecate,

No idea. The point is that the OP is saying *wow, look at me, I used millions of pixels" whereas the appropriate, and only, question worth asking is "Is the image any good?".

Fine Art images, mainly. But various uses, usually printing at 360ppi with anything from 360-1440 dpi prints. The odd poster at 240ppi (although I have been told that 180 is worth trying – certainly for larger images that makes sense.)

The larger the image, the smaller the ppi required because of the viewing distance. I’ve seen images from the 1Ds II printed at A2 and they were very high quality.

Hecate – The Real One

Thanks for the information Hecate, have a great day.

Brian.

p.s. when are we seeing "your" photo 😉

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections