D
Posted By
Dan
Mar 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If got a wallpaper image of someone who is one a completely white background. I want to change this to a black background. What’s this best way of doing this without major artifacts around the edge of the character? I’m using CS.

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
PH
Mar 17, 2005
Dan wrote:
If got a wallpaper image of someone who is one a completely white background. I want to change this to a black background. What’s this best way of doing this without major artifacts around the edge of the character? I’m using CS.

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

1. If possible: select the white with the magic wand; play with the tolerance to make it as clean as possible.

2. Select the person with the lasso, zoom in, give it a
slight feather, reverse selection.

Peter
D
Dan
Mar 18, 2005
If got a wallpaper image of someone who is one a completely white background. I want to change this to a black background. What’s this
best
way of doing this without major artifacts around the edge of the
character?
I’m using CS.

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

1. If possible: select the white with the magic wand; play with the tolerance to make it as clean as possible.

I’ve tried that, but it leaves a glow around the edge of the character. Someone told me that CS had a feature that automatically handles this? But I can’t find anything like that. Is this true?

Cheers,
Dan.
P
PH
Mar 18, 2005
Dan wrote:
If got a wallpaper image of someone who is one a completely white background. I want to change this to a black background. What’s this
best
character?
I’m using CS.

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

I’ve tried that, but it leaves a glow around the edge of the character. Someone told me that CS had a feature that automatically handles this? But I can’t find anything like that. Is this true?

Cheers,
Dan.

I am afraid it that case your selection is not as correct as it should be. Dunno bout CS, but I would say a correct
selection is always the key. Plus the small amount of Feather. Is it for print or for web? I have done this many times for print (clipping path>>EPS), and I know sometimes it does not look perfect on screen but the off set print comes out great. —
Peter
D
Dan
Mar 18, 2005
If got a wallpaper image of someone who is one a completely white background. I want to change this to a black background. What’s
this
best
character?
I’m using CS.

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

I’ve tried that, but it leaves a glow around the edge of the character. Someone told me that CS had a feature that automatically handles this?
But
I can’t find anything like that. Is this true?

Cheers,
Dan.

I am afraid it that case your selection is not as correct as it should be. Dunno bout CS, but I would say a correct
selection is always the key. Plus the small amount of Feather. Is it for print or for web? I have done this many times for print (clipping path>>EPS), and I know sometimes it does not look perfect on screen but the off set print comes out great.

It’s for on screen. It’s a windows wallpaper. It’s not actually that bad – the slight glow around the edge looks quite good actually.

Thanks for the help,
Dan.
H
Hecate
Mar 18, 2005
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:20:56 -0000, "Dan" wrote:

It’s for on screen. It’s a windows wallpaper. It’s not actually that bad – the slight glow around the edge looks quite good actually.
Thanks for the help,
Dan.
Dan, when you make a selection like that you should try contracting the selection one or two pixels first to give you a more accurate selection.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 20, 2005
Dan wrote:

I’ve had good results with the extract tool – give it a shot.

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/restore/restore.htm
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 20, 2005
Dan wrote:

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
B
Brian
Mar 20, 2005
Mike Russell wrote:
Dan wrote:

Hi Mike,

I think the extract tool is a very useful tool and I use it all the time. I have no idea if you have any affiliation with "Janee" at all, but what is your opinion on the quality of that photo restoration of the baby? I think it is not that good at all. The retouched scratch on the baby’s head is obvious. It looks a bit smudged in appearance and the slight discoloration in that same region has not been corrected. The background looks great though!

Brian.
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 20, 2005
Brian wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:
Dan wrote:

Hi Mike,

I think the extract tool is a very useful tool and I use it all the time. I have no idea if you have any affiliation with "Janee" at all, but what is your opinion on the quality of that photo restoration of the baby? I think it is not that good at all. The retouched scratch on the baby’s head is obvious. It looks a bit smudged in appearance and the slight discoloration in that same region has not been corrected.
The background looks great though!

Hi Brian,

It’s true Janee is more of an artist than a technician, but she is also a goddess, so I really can’t offer an opinion that might appear to criticize her . That aside, I think her description of how to use the extract tool is one of the better and clearer ones I have seen.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
B
Brian
Mar 20, 2005
Mike Russell wrote:
Brian wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

Dan wrote:

Hi Mike,

I think the extract tool is a very useful tool and I use it all the time. I have no idea if you have any affiliation with "Janee" at all, but what is your opinion on the quality of that photo restoration of the baby? I think it is not that good at all. The retouched scratch on the baby’s head is obvious. It looks a bit smudged in appearance and the slight discoloration in that same region has not been corrected.
The background looks great though!

Hi Brian,

It’s true Janee is more of an artist than a technician, but she is also a goddess, so I really can’t offer an opinion that might appear to criticize her . That aside, I think her description of how to use the extract tool is one of the better and clearer ones I have seen.

That is for sure Mike!

I have only been coming into this NG (and a few others) for the last few weeks and I have often seen mention of your product "Curvemeister". I just took a look at your site and it looks very interesting indeed! What I wanted to ask you is, is this product purely compatible with Photoshop, or can it be used with others such as Corel Photopaint? I am in the process of teaching myself Photoshop and I come in here and read the threads for great tips, but Photopaint is still my primary photo editing software. If Curvemeister will work with that, I will purchase it for sure!

Best regards,
Brian.
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 20, 2005
Brian wrote:
….
[re janee being a goddesss]
That is for sure Mike!

I have only been coming into this NG (and a few others) for the last few
weeks and I have often seen mention of your product "Curvemeister". I just took a look at your site and it looks very interesting indeed! <

What I wanted to ask you is, is this product purely compatible with
Photoshop, or can it be used with others such as Corel Photopaint? I am in the process of teaching myself Photoshop and I come in here and read the threads for great tips, but Photopaint is still my primary photo editing software. If Curvemeister will work with that, I will purchase it for sure! <

Hi Brian,

Unfortuantely, for now, Curvemeister will only run on Adobe products, Elements and Photoshop. This is because Corel does not support the newer version of the plugin interface.

Although nothing is in the works at the moment, there is a chance this will change at some point in the future if I re-implement some of the underlying code for converting colors.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
B
Brian
Mar 21, 2005
Mike Russell wrote:

Brian wrote:

[re janee being a goddesss]

That is for sure Mike!

I have only been coming into this NG (and a few others) for the last few

weeks and I have often seen mention of your product "Curvemeister". I just took a look at your site and it looks very interesting indeed! <
What I wanted to ask you is, is this product purely compatible with

Photoshop, or can it be used with others such as Corel Photopaint? I am in the process of teaching myself Photoshop and I come in here and read the threads for great tips, but Photopaint is still my primary photo editing software. If Curvemeister will work with that, I will purchase it for sure! <

Hi Brian,

Unfortuantely, for now, Curvemeister will only run on Adobe products, Elements and Photoshop. This is because Corel does not support the newer version of the plugin interface.

Although nothing is in the works at the moment, there is a chance this will change at some point in the future if I re-implement some of the underlying code for converting colors.

Thanks for the response Mike. I must admit, this is so tempting though. I really liked what I saw, I might go ahead anyway and buy Curvemeister to use in Photoshop. I don’t have Photoshop CS myself at the moment, it is on my friend’s computer who has gone overseas (and left her computer with me). I guess I could install it on her computer, bonus for her anyway!

Regards,
Brian.
R
Ron
Mar 23, 2005
Wand,
Clean up with lasso,
Select, expand,
Make Work path,
Save path,
Turn off path,
paths, make selection, Feather, ok
turn off path,
change color

"Dan" wrote in message
best
character?
I’m using CS.

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

I’ve tried that, but it leaves a glow around the edge of the character. Someone told me that CS had a feature that automatically handles this? But
I can’t find anything like that. Is this true?

Cheers,
Dan.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections