How do I get a rectangular marquis selection to center itself?

J
Posted By
johnpowe
Sep 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here’s what I am doing. I have a new 8 x 10 document. I drag out a selection rectangle that is the size I want but I need it to center itself. I am sure this is a simple task but I have been trying for about 20 minutes to do it w/o success.

Thanks

John H. Power

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Sep 21, 2004
John H. Power wrote:
Here’s what I am doing. I have a new 8 x 10 document. I drag out a selection rectangle that is the size I want but I need it to center itself. I am sure this is a simple task but I have been trying for about 20 minutes to do it w/o success.

Drag out a vertical and a horizontal guide to the center of your image. Then either alt-drag your marquee, snapping ot the intersection of the guides, or define and then drag the marquee selection, and it will snap to the intersection of the guides.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
J
johnpowe
Sep 21, 2004
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:06:02 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

John H. Power wrote:

Drag out a vertical and a horizontal guide to the center of your image. Then either alt-drag your marquee, snapping ot the intersection of the guides, or define and then drag the marquee selection, and it will snap to the intersection of the guides.

Thanks but I am obviously missing something. I get 4 quadrants but with either method I do not get the marked area centered.
W
wnor
Sep 21, 2004
Another possibility. Once you have the guides in place, draw your rectangle to the size you want, then go to Select Transform selection, then place the center of the transform box on the cross hairs, then Enter to accept.

Or, as already mentioned, drag the guides out and use Alt and drag out your rectangle, which seems to be the easier and fastest way to do what you want.

John H. Power …

John H. Power wrote:

Thanks but I am obviously missing something. I get 4 quadrants but with either method I do not get the marked area centered.
D
dasher
Sep 30, 2004
stroke your selection/cut/paste

Wesley Norman wrote:

Another possibility. Once you have the guides in place, draw your rectangle to the size you want, then go to Select Transform selection, then place the center of the transform box on the cross hairs, then Enter to accept.

Or, as already mentioned, drag the guides out and use Alt and drag out your rectangle, which seems to be the easier and fastest way to do what you want.

John H. Power …

John H. Power wrote:

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections