JD
Posted By
John Doe
Aug 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS allows for a limited have assed worthless way of saving the history list. If I remember correctly it is a text file and doesn’t reload with the image. Currently there is not way to save the history. Another half-assed feature brought to you by Adobe.

John

"Arty Phacting" wrote in message
Hiy’all another appeal to the great, experienced or learned (or any combination of the 3)

Basically – can I save history in multi-layer psd’s?

Once I save as a multilayer psd, close the file the history appears to evaporate when I re-open the file

Perhaps there is a more skilled way to do this that I am not fully aware
of?
Arts

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
bagal
Aug 13, 2004
Hiy’all another appeal to the great, experienced or learned (or any combination of the 3)

Once I save as a multilayer psd, close the file the history appears to evaporate when I re-open the file

Perhaps there is a more skilled way to do this that I am not fully aware of?

Arts
B
bagal
Aug 14, 2004
tsk! looks like I may have to resort to The Gimp?

Arts

"John Doe" wrote in message
Photoshop CS allows for a limited have assed worthless way of saving the history list. If I remember correctly it is a text file and doesn’t reload with the image. Currently there is not way to save the history. Another half-assed feature brought to you by Adobe.

John

of?
Arts

B
bagal
Aug 14, 2004
Hmm – perhaps I should take the initiative and write something like this?

Dear Adobe

PSCS still continues to blow my socks off. It is a fantastic piece of kit.

Have been a proud owner for – oh less that a week now – I wonder if I may add to product development wish list?

1 – an option to save History over file saves, possibly as export files too? This IMHO would be a wonderful feature to incorporate into PSCS – maybe even into the full CS range?

For example: see the posting from "The Old Bloke" about Brown stained prints – it has parallels in the commercial world too.
I could twaek an image into something more presentable
Once tweaked I could send a history file by email to the partner and the history could be applied to an image

If there is any poetic justice in the world could the history file be given a .pff extension?

Then I could say: please don’t be worried or anxious about it. I’ll send you a PFF file by email – load the original image and import my PFF then work stepwise through the PFF to get the desired results. It’s a bit like sending a path for a GPS unit if you know what I mean

the Arty one

ps – could we have a tweak in 2 months?
2 weeks for programmers
2 weeks for alpha and beta testers
2 weeks for consolidation of the tweak into presentable form released to the public in 2 months time starting from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 – now?

A
"John Doe" wrote in message

John

of?
Arts

GP
Gene Palmiter
Aug 15, 2004
The problem is that history saves multiple copies of the image…so to save it all would be huge….bad English…tired. Work with layers so you can undo your work.

of?
Arts

BV
Branko Vukelic
Aug 15, 2004
Instead of closing the file and shutting down the system, you can put the system to Hibernate. That is not a long term solution, of course, but at least it enables you to continue where you left off without losing the History states…

If you want to put your system to Hibernate (in Windows XP) click on the "Turn Off Computer" in Start menu, and in the following dialogue press Shift to reveal the Hibernate button (it appears in place of Standby button).

When you return from Hibernation… well ask a bear what’s it like when you wake up from a winter’s sleep. 😉

Arty Phacting wrote:

Arts

J
JPS
Aug 15, 2004
In message <cfml0q$eau$>,
Branko Vukelic <name+> wrote:

Instead of closing the file and shutting down the system, you can put the system to Hibernate. That is not a long term solution, of course, but at least it enables you to continue where you left off without losing the History states…

If you want to put your system to Hibernate (in Windows XP) click on the "Turn Off Computer" in Start menu, and in the following dialogue press Shift to reveal the Hibernate button (it appears in place of Standby button).

When you return from Hibernation… well ask a bear what’s it like when you wake up from a winter’s sleep. 😉

Just remember to add or remove any flash memory from the system while it is awake. Many programs seem to choke when cards change while they’re sleeping, and will crash officially or lock into an infinite loop when they awake.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy
<<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
E
edjh
Aug 15, 2004
Arty Phacting wrote:

Arts
If you know you are going to need it beforehand record everything as an action.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
BV
Branko Vukelic
Aug 15, 2004
Basically, just put your PC to Hibernate and leave it alone until you wake it up. If you remove or add any piece of equipment there is a good chance *something* will freak out.

Just ask a bear what’s it like to wake up after a winter’s sleep and find out his leg is missing. 🙂

wrote:

Just remember to add or remove any flash memory from the system while it is awake. Many programs seem to choke when cards change while they’re sleeping, and will crash officially or lock into an infinite loop when they awake.
J
JPS
Aug 15, 2004
In message <cfo1nb$u2o$>,

Basically, just put your PC to Hibernate and leave it alone until you wake it up. If you remove or add any piece of equipment there is a good chance *something* will freak out.

Just ask a bear what’s it like to wake up after a winter’s sleep and find out his leg is missing. 🙂

Yes, but a removable card would be expected to behave as if it were removed at the instant of system wake-up. That is within the reasonable expectations for removeable media. It’s not like a drive on the internal IDE bus were suddenly showing new data.

When I first experimented with hibernation, I did it on a dual-booting machine. I was already in the habit of using the same Agent (my newsreader) directory from two different OSes. What no one told me about hibernation was that it didn’t mix well with dual-booting. Needless to say, many of the databases and indexes, which were 6 or 7 years old with all my posts, were trashed, and the backup was too old to be of any use (I’d have to read a tremendous amount of material over again).

John P Sheehy
B
bagal
Aug 15, 2004
Thank people – these are good tips for sure

Arty

"edjh" wrote in message
Arty Phacting wrote:

of?
Arts
If you know you are going to need it beforehand record everything as an action.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Aug 15, 2004
Arty Phacting wrote:

No, but there is a workaround in CS and that is to save your states or snapshots as Layer Comps. It isn’t quite what you are asking, but it does allow you to save previous states of a document which you can then modify at a later date, i.e. after closing and re-opening the document. The reason that the history state is not saved is a memory issue i believe. That is, the file sizes would be impractical. However, now that Adobe have implemented the Layer Comping feature, there is no valid reason why saveable history cannot be a feature of future versions of Photoshop?….
B
bagal
Aug 15, 2004
It could even be a part of the customers portfolio?

Arts

"MArtin Chiselwitt" wrote in message
Arty Phacting wrote:

No, but there is a workaround in CS and that is to save your states or snapshots as Layer Comps. It isn’t quite what you are asking, but it does allow you to save previous states of a document which you can then modify at a later date, i.e. after closing and re-opening the document. The reason that the history state is not saved is a memory issue i believe. That is, the file sizes would be impractical. However, now that Adobe have implemented the Layer Comping feature, there is no valid reason why saveable history cannot be a feature of future versions of Photoshop?….
BV
Branko Vukelic
Aug 16, 2004
Outch! Well, WinXP runs differently on different boxes, or so I’ve heard. Certainly works different on my current machine than it did on my previous one. You know, like things that used to work suddenly stop working, and vice versa. "Always expect the unexpected" and "never expect things to work the way *you* think they should." 🙂

wrote:

In message <cfo1nb$u2o$>,

Yes, but a removable card would be expected to behave as if it were removed at the instant of system wake-up. That is within the reasonable expectations for removeable media. It’s not like a drive on the internal IDE bus were suddenly showing new data.

When I first experimented with hibernation, I did it on a dual-booting machine. I was already in the habit of using the same Agent (my newsreader) directory from two different OSes. What no one told me about hibernation was that it didn’t mix well with dual-booting. Needless to say, many of the databases and indexes, which were 6 or 7 years old with all my posts, were trashed, and the backup was too old to be of any use (I’d have to read a tremendous amount of material over again).
N
noone
Aug 16, 2004
In article <ialTc.373$ says
….
Hmm – perhaps I should take the initiative and write something like this?
Dear Adobe

PSCS still continues to blow my socks off. It is a fantastic piece of kit.
Have been a proud owner for – oh less that a week now – I wonder if I may add to product development wish list?

1 – an option to save History over file saves, possibly as export files too? This IMHO would be a wonderful feature to incorporate into PSCS – maybe even into the full CS range?

For example: see the posting from "The Old Bloke" about Brown stained prints – it has parallels in the commercial world too.
I could twaek an image into something more presentable
Once tweaked I could send a history file by email to the partner and the history could be applied to an image

If there is any poetic justice in the world could the history file be given a .pff extension?

Then I could say: please don’t be worried or anxious about it. I’ll send you a PFF file by email – load the original image and import my PFF then work stepwise through the PFF to get the desired results. It’s a bit like sending a path for a GPS unit if you know what I mean

the Arty one

ps – could we have a tweak in 2 months?
2 weeks for programmers
2 weeks for alpha and beta testers
2 weeks for consolidation of the tweak into presentable form released to the public in 2 months time starting from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 – now?
[SNIP]

This sounds like a wonderful plan. How many hours do you think this would save some of us – many, many?!?! Let’s hope that they listen.

Hunt
N
noone
Aug 16, 2004
In article <cfo1nb$u2o$ says…

[SNIP]

"Hey Tom, ‘ya seen my leg around the cave anywhere, man?" Great analogy.

Thanks for the laugh. I’m just glad that my coffee had run out, or I’d be cleaning the keyboard, the screen, and my trousers.

Hunt
B
bagal
Aug 16, 2004
yes ja oui da sure yep yeh …

but you are all missing the point

The "what" is the image and that speaks for itself

The "how" is the history and at the moment in CS or PSCS it does not (yet?) have a voice

It could be an optional flag rather than across board thingy-ma-jig

Arts

wrote in message

John P Sheehy
MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Aug 16, 2004
Arty Phacting wrote:

The "how" is the history and at the moment in CS or PSCS it does not (yet?) have a voice

Arts

That has to be the most incoherent reply I have ever read. Are you on percodan?
Mimsy were the borogroves innit…
B
bagal
Aug 16, 2004
LOL I ‘hank ewe

Arts

Arty Phacting wrote:

The "how" is the history and at the moment in CS or PSCS it does not
(yet?)
have a voice

Arts

B
bagal
Aug 16, 2004
Hi MArtin

I have no doubt that any1 with a merest hint of intelligence will be able to discern what I mean

Of course, I did assume a sense of humor on the recipients part too

Please accept my most humble and profound apologies if I made an assupmtion or two too far in your case

I am sorry – I didn’t really mean to put you on the spot

a humble Arty

Arty Phacting wrote:

The "how" is the history and at the moment in CS or PSCS it does not
(yet?)
have a voice

Arts

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections