PhotoShop 7.0 on Windows XP always goes through an installer process on start up

S
Posted By
susanrsmith
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Each time we open Photoshop 7 it goes through a Windows Installer screen before it opens up. We have Adobe Acrobat, Pagemaker and Illustrator on the computer. The programs were isntalled over our Windows 2003 network after they were packaged and "pushed" out. We have fewer problems such as the Windows Installer screen and additional slowness if Illustrator is not on the computer. If Illustrator is also installed and we try to save an Illustrator file.. once you click File/Save…Photoshop starts up. It seems like Photoshop and Illustrator just can’t "play well with each other". We have managed desktops with little to no access to the C:drive. All files are stored on the network drives. Any ideas are appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 5, 2004
First, it sounds like the applications are misinstalled.

If you have no access to the local drive, then Photoshop and Illustrator aren’t going to run well because they both need the local drive for scratch space. This also means that your IT people didn’t bother to learn how either program worked, or try running them, and if they’re really trying that sort of stunt (locked local drive) with design applications they’re probably a few fries short of a biggie size, if you know what I mean….

I have never seen a locked local drive scheme work except for VERY limited applications (cashiers, inventory, data entry, etc.).
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 5, 2004
This also means that your IT people didn’t bother to learn how either program worked,

don’t blame the IT people…

We have managed desktops with little to no access to the C:drive.

this has PHB (Pointy Haired Boss) written all over it. Maybe they should hold a meeting.

Sue, tell your PHBs that static desktop policy costs more than it saves. It might work fine for the majority of your users, but there always needs to be exceptions to the policy in order to work efficently.

If they come back with "there are no exceptions to the policy", tell them it’s easy, all you need to do is whip out a policy exception for in Word.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 5, 2004
Dave – well, yeah. But the IT people let it happen.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 5, 2004
LET it happen? 🙂 Have you every actually BEEN an IT shmuck Chris? It ain’t pretty! (But it can be fun.)
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 5, 2004
Dave – yes. I did some telecom work in college.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 5, 2004
ah. so how can you blame the guys? (ok, most of the guys?) there’s always a couple of sycophants that will blindly follow the weasels over the cliff (aka management trainees), but for the most part I remember picking and choosing my battles when doing tech support vs. "corporate policy" (aka torture & humiliation).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections