FD
Posted By
Frances Del Rio
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need a very basic font (Helvetica..) which I know is installed because I can see it in Word.. but I can’t see it in Photshop..

I did a bit of digging in.. and I see that fonts I can only see in Word (such as Helvetica) are not in C:\WINNT\Fonts.. also, fonts I cannot see in Photoshop have a diff. icon from the rest in Word fonts menu (fonts I can see in PS are TT (True Type..) other fonts are…. I don’t know what they are… in fonts folder mentioned above most fonts have an icon with an "0" on them… ok.. I hope someone can make sense of all this for me.. thank you..

Frances Del Rio
NYC

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
Demolisher
Jul 15, 2004
"Frances Del Rio" wrote in message
I need a very basic font (Helvetica..) which I know is installed because I can see it in Word.. but I can’t see it in Photshop..
I did a bit of digging in.. and I see that fonts I can only see in Word (such as Helvetica) are not in C:\WINNT\Fonts.. also, fonts I cannot see in Photoshop have a diff. icon from the rest in Word fonts menu (fonts I can see in PS are TT (True Type..) other fonts are…. I don’t know what they are… in fonts folder mentioned above most fonts have an icon with an "0" on them… ok.. I hope someone can make sense of all this for me.. thank you..

Frances Del Rio
NYC

Helvetica is probably a raster font, which I think Photoshop cannot use. Even if it could, you would be limited to whatever font sizes were supplied with the font. You can try Ariel or Verdana, which are both True Type and see if they are acceptable to you.
G
gempages
Jul 15, 2004
Frances Del Rio
and I see that fonts I can only see in Word
(such as Helvetica) are not in C:\WINNT\Fonts..

You can go to Settings>Control panel>Font Folder>File>Install New Fonts>find the fonts on your computer or cd [be sure to check "copy to windows folder" if you get them off a cd/disk]>select them and install. You’ll need to use or get, if you’re not running winXP or 2000, ATMlite. [free download and link on page below] or another installer to install the Type1s and Opentypes.
More info:
http://www.myfonts.com/support/help_install_win.html

in fonts folder mentioned above most fonts have
an icon with an "0" on them

These are OpenType fonts. More info:
http://store.adobe.com/type/opentype/main.html

hth
—Gem

Frances Del Rio
NYC
JO
Jacques Oberto
Jul 15, 2004
"Frances Del Rio" a
R
Roberto
Jul 15, 2004
Helvetica is NOT Arial. Try comparing Helvetica Italic and Arial Italic to see what I mean. IMO, Arial is a more complete font, but the subtle differences make Helvetica too unique to just replace with Arial.

To OP:

Anyway, hit Win+F to search for the font on your HDD.

Try searching all files and folders using "Helvetica.*" keyword. Once you find it, install it using the "Install New Font" item from "File" menu in Windows\Fonts folder.

FYI, Fonts that have TT are TrueType, while fonts with an O are OpenType fonts.

"Jacques Oberto" wrote in message
"Frances Del Rio" a
HF
Hans Fleischmann
Jul 15, 2004
Branko Vukelic wrote:
Helvetica is NOT Arial. Try comparing Helvetica Italic and Arial Italic to see what I mean. IMO, Arial is a more complete font, but the subtle differences make Helvetica too unique to just replace with Arial.
[snip]
To Go a bit off-topic: Maybe some of you use xfree86, that does use fonts and it calls one off them Helvetica (the urw-fontpack uses the name). Is this font really a Helvetica or just something alike like Arial?

Hans Fleischmann

PGP-KeyID: 0x676FB35B
+31650525455
JO
Jacques Oberto
Jul 16, 2004
"Branko Vukelic" a
T
toosano
Jul 16, 2004
Very cool test. I scored 7/10. Helvetica is slightly more condensed. I knew it and still missed three.
TB

"Branko Vukelic" a
R
Roberto
Jul 16, 2004
6/10! Hooray! 🙂

However, the difference is MORE than obvious with Italics (actually, Helvetica doesn’t have one). Also, Arial is a slightly more humanized typeface (look at the tail of letter ‘a’). So, it’s not really a rip-off. If you set long text using only Helvetica, you’ll (in most cases) find the text a bit ‘cooler’ (as in cold) than text set using exclusively Arial. Arial doesn’t belong to fonts of the swiss school (unlike Helvetica, Swiss and Zurich, for example). If you try to put it there, it will look funny. Otherwise it’s okay.

"Branko Vukelic" a

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections