A
Posted By
alansky
Oct 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe documentation states that when a document is opened that uses uninstalled fonts, a message will identify the missing fonts and offer to use font substitution. This is not what happens when I open such a document in Photoshop CS3. The warning message does not identify the missing fonts, nor can I click the offending text to get this information because font substitution happens automatically before the file is opened. The result is that I have no idea, in some cases, which fonts are missing. This is incredibly dumb!

How can I get Photoshop CS3 to tell me which fonts are missing? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
you will see a yellow warning triangle in the layers panel if the font is missing.
A
alansky
Oct 10, 2008
That’s what I expected. But this doesn’t happen! Because font substitution is taking place automatically before the document opens, there are no warning triangles and no indication of what the fonts were before they were replaced with the default substitution font.
B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
What font manager are you using?
A
alansky
Oct 11, 2008
I’m using Extensis Suitcase Fusion, which doesn’t have an auto-activation plugin for Photoshop.
B
Buko
Oct 11, 2008
Well Photoshop does not substitute fonts.

Suitcase is crap I can’t believe people actually still pay good money for it.

Best font manager is FontAgent Pro.
A
alansky
Oct 11, 2008
Unfortunately, Photoshop DOES substitute fonts. My files most definitely never specified Myriad Pro (which is what all the type in these documents has been converted to) or anything even remotely resembling Myriad Pro. What Photoshop does not do is provide a way to specify the font substitution settings at all.

As for Suitcase, it has its limitations; but honestly, I am unimpressed by every one of the font management programs out there. I have not had activation problems with Suitcase Fusion in the past, but who knows? Maybe I’ll have better luck if I try to open my files in Photoshop CS. Thanks for your feedback!
B
Buko
Oct 11, 2008
Photoshop will default to something usually Myriad Pro only if you try to edit a type layer and the font is not activated. This is when you see the yellow triangle in the layer panel.
A
alansky
Oct 11, 2008
The situation is as I first stated it: All fonts have been automatically converted to Myriad Pro. There’s not a yellow triangle in sight.
B
Buko
Oct 11, 2008
I have never seen this before if the font is not present everything stays the same until you try to edit the type layer.
A
alansky
Oct 11, 2008
I’ve never seen this behavior before either. Might have to break down and ask Adobe about it.
B
Buko
Oct 11, 2008
Try FAP 30 day demo see if Suitcase is messing things up. Suitcase screws up InDesign
A
alansky
Oct 11, 2008
Will do. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections