ME
Posted By
Monte_Evans
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a photographer and user of Photoshop since version 5. I have the new CS version loaded on Windows XP with 1 Mg of RAM and a 2.4GHz Pentium processor. I have noticed while working even mundane tasks, such as using the healing brush in a small area, that Photoshop seems to stop responding for anywhere from 30-45 seconds and then resumes working again. I have a 20G second physical hard drive set aside solely for my scratch disk. This is becoming a real nuisance. It doesn’t seem to matter whether I am using 16 bit files or 8 bit files. I have talked to several other photographers who are experiencing the exact same problem. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to alleviate this "hang problem"?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

FN
Fred_Nirque
Feb 22, 2004
Monte,

Have you updated your video card drivers recently?

Set the Hardware acceleration slider in Display Properties> Settings> Advanced> Troubleshoot to None, and see if the problem stops. If it does it is most likely your card drivers causing the problem.

Fred.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 22, 2004
Monte,

What do you have your Photoshop Memory allocation set to?
ME
Monte_Evans
Feb 28, 2004
I have an up to date video driver and I have the memory allocation set at 50%. I did have it at 70%, thinking it would be better. I see no difference between 50 or 70%.
Monte
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 28, 2004
I don’t think I’ve heard anyone else reporting that exact problem.

Do you have a remote printer, or file server that might be timing out?
D
D._Jirsa
Feb 29, 2004
I am having a similar problem…I am running cs on win xp pro.2gb of ram 2-120gb hard drives…memory set to 85% and no other programs running…When I have more than 3-18mb files open at the same time my system is so slow I end up going back to 7.01…at this time cs effency is showing at 5-8%… anyone know why…
Doug Jirsa
ME
Monte_Evans
Mar 1, 2004
Thank you Doug for posting here and validating my problem. I have talked to several other local photographers who are having the same problem as you and me, yet when I post on the web, responses are they have never heard of this problem or that there must be something set wrong on my computer. I have heard way too many complaints to believe that this problem is unheard of.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 1, 2004
does the problem happen when you are completely disconnected (plug pulled) from the network and internet?
D
D._Jirsa
Mar 1, 2004
MOnte

I think I know the problem but no one at Adobe will respond except to say check the FAQ… If you have a large amount of RAM in your system and set the Adobe pref above 50% default as shipped CS seems to go all wako and Slows down to a stop…Try setting your Adobe pref for the memory back to 50% and it seems to run much Faster….Why only ADobe knows but wont’t or doesen’t want to say
Doug
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 5, 2004
DJirsa – try reading the responses….

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections