WV
Posted By
William_Varney
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed my new Epson 2200, Adobe PhotoShop CS and ProCal Spider to calibrate the monitor (Dell CRT, on a Dimension 8200 Series, using Windows XP). Here is what I did:

1. In stalled Adobe Photoshop first (#1045-1037-3430-5542-9308-9807). No problems with the installation and I proceeded with the activation.
2. The Epson PIM Plug-In for Adobe would not install since it only supported Photoshop 7.0 or 6.0.
3. I installed the PhoCal Spider according to directions by disabling Norton Virus protection and removing Adobe Gamma from the startup file. Then I calibrated the monitor with Spider.
4. I then went to Epson for any down loads that might be available for my system, WindowsXP. The two I picked are:
a. Printer Driver v 5.4aA, for WindowsXP, Epson 10700
b. PIM II Plug In v 2.0 for WindowsXP, Epson 10628
c. Status Monitor 3v3.obA
5. Finally, I worked on a few photo files, taken with Nikon 5700 in Tif. I did do a little color balancing and changed some contrast, in the Adobe PhotoShop CS. When I printed on Epson Semi-Gloss and also Epson Premium Luster, the prints turned out with a lot of red tone.
6. After adding more green and blue, I still had too much red tones.
7. The excessive red tones were on all color prints and black&white prints.
8. I also printed the same files using Film Factory that came with the Epson printer. There was no excessive red tones on the color or B&W prints.
9. What should I try next? Is there a download I should get that corrects this problem.

Thanks, Bill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Feb 20, 2004
’till you getsome responses read this.

<http://computer-darkroom.com/ps8-colour/ps8_1.htm>
LM
Loren_Montgomery
Feb 20, 2004
Hello Bill,
I have the same problem as you with the red being too intense. I’m using a Epson 1270 printer. I would also like to know how to fix this problem. Thanks for posting this question you beat me to it.
Thanks Loren.
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 20, 2004
Have you told the printer not to do any colour management? If not it will apply an unrequired compensation.
I’m not an expert on this, but I am aware that care is needed here.

Also, try a search on this forum for Epson 2200.
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 20, 2004
One issue may be that you are working in AdobeRGB colorspace ( rich gamut ) and printing to an inkjet printer. Consider using the BruceRGB space , if your intended destination is a photo inkjet. I think you’ll find your red problem will disappear. That being said, Ian Lyons’ site ( link in a previous post ), has invaluable information on properly setting up your printer setting in a color managed workflow. For BruceRGB history, look here: <http://www.creativepro.com/printerfriendly/story/6541.html> .

🙂

Brent
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 20, 2004
I don’t think there should be any problem using AdobeRGB as the working space and getting good colour reproduction on an Epson1270. Neither of the posters have said how they are actually printing. Use color management and you should have no problem, following the instructions on Ian Lyon’s site which lays the whole process out very simply.
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 20, 2004
You’re right, Mick , using AdobeRGB you should be able to print pretty much what’s on your screen. Frequently, though, digital camera images taken directly into the AdobeRGB space appear "too red" or too rich in color. That is not the case, using the BruceRGB colorspace. My typical workflow on an untagged image , is to assign the colorspace to the digicam image that appears to look the best, or is closest to the final result. Then I edit from that point. I’m strictly a "print to inkjet" kind of guy.

🙂

Brent
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 20, 2004
That’s interesting Brent. I’m still mostly using film, mainly Fuji Velvia, with a Coolscan4000 and Nikon Scan 3.1. I rarely have to do much colour correction. Other films are not always so well behaved. I’ve never thought of changing the working space to see if I get better results. I must give this a try.
WV
William_Varney
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for your comments, however, there are terms I don’t understand. AdobeRGB, I know that is Red Green Blue and my injet uses different collors. How do I get to AdobeRGB to use it. What is workspace, colorspace and printspace. How do I get there and what do I do when I get there.

I have found that I can do some editing in Adobe, save the file and print with the correct color (including B&W)using Film Factory supplied with the Epson 2200.

Is there a feature I might or might not be using that causes all my prints using PhotoshopCS to be red?

Bill
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 20, 2004
Bill

An inkjet printer is an RGB device. The driver takes care of the fact that it actually has other colours.

I do not believe that Film Factory is a colour managed program.

Some of your other questions will be answered if you follow Norbert’s advice above and follow that link.
RP
Ramon_Peniche
Feb 22, 2004
WHAT I DO WITH MY EPSON 1280 IS THAT AFTER MY PICTURE LOOKS GOOD ON SCREEN, I PRINT A SMALL ONE. THEN MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENS IN THE PRINTERS COLOR MANAGEMENT. I HAVE USED +5 CYAN, -10 MAGENTA, +5 YELLOW WITH GOOD RESULTS. YOU CAN MAKE FINER ADJUSTMENST. RAMON.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 22, 2004
I thought Wall Street tickers were abandoned.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 22, 2004
Ramon

That is one way of doing it but it’s not as good as using colour management. If you are doing these colour adjustments, you shouldn’t adjust all three of Y, M and C. Adjust two of the colours only. +5Y+5C is the same thing as -5M. So -15M is what you need above.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections