G
Posted By
gtg582q
Sep 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to stroke in gradients? Say I make a path for my brush to follow – is there a way for that brush to follow it and instead of coloring it in a mono-color, make the brush follow a gradient path. I hope this makes sense – because I can’t figure it out.

I know some may suggest using the selection tool, but what if my brush isn’t solid – like it randomly places strokes in places, that would get tedious.

Thanks,
Jake

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GP
Gene Palmiter
Sep 22, 2005
Could you do it by stroking a layer mask? Have the gradient on the layer beneath?

Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
(visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com) freebridge design group
www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine
"Crowder,Jakob Larry" wrote in message
Is there a way to stroke in gradients? Say I make a path for my brush to follow – is there a way for that brush to follow it and instead of coloring it in a mono-color, make the brush follow a gradient path. I hope this makes sense – because I can’t figure it out.

I know some may suggest using the selection tool, but what if my brush isn’t solid – like it randomly places strokes in places, that would get tedious.

Thanks,
Jake
G
gtg582q
Sep 22, 2005
Gene Palmiter wrote:
Could you do it by stroking a layer mask? Have the gradient on the layer beneath?

For some reason it only does it in black and white (gray). Am I doing something wrong? I put my colored gradient on the mask, then brush on the layer and it’s only a gray gradient…
GP
Gene Palmiter
Sep 22, 2005
no no….put the gradient on layer one….put another layer over it and fill it with a color or white…doesn’t matter as it can be changed. Click the layer mask button and alt-click the layer mask icon next to layer 2. Now paint on the layer mask with black and where the black is the gradient layer will come through. ( I hope I have that right.)

Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
(visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com) freebridge design group
www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine
"Crowder,Jakob Larry" wrote in message
Gene Palmiter wrote:

For some reason it only does it in black and white (gray). Am I doing something wrong? I put my colored gradient on the mask, then brush on the layer and it’s only a gray gradient…
T
Tacit
Sep 23, 2005
In article <dgt12s$lg9$>,
"Crowder,Jakob Larry" wrote:

You’re doing it backwards.

Put the gradient in the layer. Then use your brush in the mask.

A mask is always grayscale. Wherever the mask is black, the layer is hidden. Wherever the mask is white, the layer is visible.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
G
gtg582q
Sep 23, 2005
tacit wrote:
In article <dgt12s$lg9$>,
"Crowder,Jakob Larry" wrote:

You’re doing it backwards.

Put the gradient in the layer. Then use your brush in the mask.
A mask is always grayscale. Wherever the mask is black, the layer is hidden. Wherever the mask is white, the layer is visible.

Thank you – it worked like a charm….

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections