R
Posted By
Rob
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In a new document, I create a form using the ellipse tool. Set foreground and background color. Click the gradient tool to make a linear gradient.

Messagebox: "Could not use the gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable"

I am clearly missing a step – can anyone help me? The layers are not locked and I can apply either foreground or background color.

Thanks – Rob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
bogus
Aug 31, 2004
Apparently, you can not apply a gradient to a shape layer. What you could do is:

Create a new layer

Command click on the shape layer (Control click on PC) to select the shape

Select the new layer

Apply the gradient

dp

Rob wrote:

In a new document, I create a form using the ellipse tool. Set foreground and background color. Click the gradient tool to make a linear gradient.

Messagebox: "Could not use the gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable"

I am clearly missing a step – can anyone help me? The layers are not locked and I can apply either foreground or background color.
Thanks – Rob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections