DB
Posted By
Dave B
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone have any suggestions on using very small fonts for web use? I see them in use in graphics on some pages, but when I create images in PS and try to use fonts at a such a small size, they become unreadable. I’m hoping there’s either a method to use existing fonts very small, or perhaps whole separate font families for this purpose?

Thanks….
Dave B

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SW
Shank Williams
Feb 20, 2004
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:16:33 GMT, "Dave B"
wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on using very small fonts for web use? I see them in use in graphics on some pages, but when I create images in PS and try to use fonts at a such a small size, they become unreadable. I’m hoping there’s either a method to use existing fonts very small, or perhaps whole separate font families for this purpose?

Thanks….
Dave B
Dave,
Please consider that some of us, me included, are visually impaired, and have a very hard time reading such tiny text.
Please avoid using images for text. Let me set the text size I need with my browser. Give me something I can read with a "talking browser". And remember that search engine bots can’t read the text in an image.
The users of your web site have a variety of devices, browsers, window sizes and resolutions; trying to make everything look like print is contrary to the nature of the web medium.
E
edjh
Feb 20, 2004
Dave B wrote:

Thanks….
Dave B
There are some web fonts just for the purposes you describe. Do a search on "web fonts".

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
D
danidh
Feb 20, 2004
<<I’m hoping there’s either a method to use existing fonts very small, or perhaps whole separate font families for this purpose?>>

You want Pixel Fonts…do a Google search for Pixel Fonts. If you want only free/freeware do an advanced search and include the words "free" and "freeware" in the "with at least one of the words" field. Hope this helps. Dani
dani3d.com
L
larrybud2002
Feb 20, 2004
"Dave B" …
Does anyone have any suggestions on using very small fonts for web use?

In what context are you going to use them?

Turn off anti-aliasing.
DB
Dave B
Feb 21, 2004
"Shank Williams" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:16:33 GMT, "Dave B"
wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on using very small fonts for web use? I see them in use in graphics on some pages, but when I create images in PS and try to use fonts at a such a small size, they become unreadable. I’m hoping there’s either a method to use existing fonts very small, or
perhaps
whole separate font families for this purpose?

Thanks….
Dave B
Dave,
Please consider that some of us, me included, are visually impaired, and have a very hard time reading such tiny text.
Please avoid using images for text. Let me set the text size I need with my browser. Give me something I can read with a "talking browser". And remember that search engine bots can’t read the text in an image.
The users of your web site have a variety of devices, browsers, window sizes and resolutions; trying to make everything look like print is contrary to the nature of the web medium.

You bring up good points Shank. Being a designer, I’m not sure if I’m capable of designing for function (that’s a joke). I recently designed a site that included printer friendly links (less graphics, etc.). I’m wondering if a similar tactic for the sight impaired would be a good solution. I could make a 2nd page that was all text, and large images. Are there sites that do that? Is there a color scheme that is more readable (presumably black text on white, but you never know)…
B
Batmel
Feb 21, 2004
yes that is a good point..

a designer has to make a GREAT designer being "user friendly"..

however depending on the type of website you are doing.. I think tha in some cases it is appropirate to use smaller font..

http://www.miniml.com/

these are fonts that you can use with flash.. nice and small ! ehe

www.dafont.com

an other site to dl free fonts

—-
Batme
———————————————————— ———– Posted via http://www.forum4designers.co
———————————————————— ———– View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message48145.htm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections