C
Posted By
creativepart
Feb 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve recently gotten a new computer and reinstalled CS3. But I’ve been using CS3 for years and PS for years as well.

I’m using Photoshop for the first time since the reinstall today and when I highlight some type… the Tracking/Kerning option is grayed out in the Character dialog box. It’s not adjustable at all.

If the type tool is selected and the cursor not selecting any character the track/kern options are there and active. But if I select even one character the then all of the track/kern options are grayed out and no tracking or kerning options are selectable.

I thought it might be some Vista 64 problem, but in searching the internet I can’t find anyone else with this problem and nothing in the KB.

I’ve tested TT, Type 1, and OT fonts. They all work the same. All of the tracking and kerning options in the character dialog box are grayed out if any (or all) characters are selected.

Does anyone have an answer to this issue?

PS. It does this on new type in new projects and type in older existing projects that already have a track/kern setting set.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

M
Mylenium
Feb 25, 2009
Please provide info about the operating system and its language settings. This strikes me as a more generic issue with handling OpenType due to incorrect region settings. Also check Cleartype settings and the default system font size (in your graphics card settings). It has been known to collide with Adobe tools… Last, of course make sure you are running all the latest updates and do not intermingle legacy Adobe software with newer programs. Generic components such as the PDF libraries may not like it and expose weird side effects.

Mylenium
C
creativepart
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the response… as I said in my OP I’m using Windows Vista 64 bit. And the language setting is English (US).

Again, as I mentioned in my OP the problem exist in ALL types of fonts: TT OT and T1. So I dont’ see how it’s an OT only issue.

I’m running the latest updates of CS3 and I do not have any old versions of programs installed.

I’ve checked my graphics card (ATI – HD3450) but find no settings at all for Cleartype in the ATI setup program or the standard Vista settings.

Any other ideas?
DE
David_E_Crawford
Feb 25, 2009
Creativepart:
Click on start then help and support. Type in clear type in the search and hit enter. There you look for "make test easier to read using clear type". From there you can find what you need.

Windows font size can be found in Appearance Settings. Several options to choose from. Color and size is driven by what scheme you choose too.
C
creativepart
Feb 25, 2009
The windows setting for fonts is set to standard. Cleartype was activated, but deactivating it didn’t change anything.

All tracking/kerning options are grayed out still when any characters are selected.
C
creativepart
Feb 25, 2009
OK, I found it.

It was a setting in PS Preferences. I’m not sure how it got turned on, but it did. The setting was in Preferences > Type and "Show Asian Text Options" was checked. I decided to uncheck it only because I don’t use Asian text and I didn’t make that setting.

But unchecking that option fixed the problem.

So, put that one down as an unexplained oddity.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Even though the answer didn’t come from the suggestions, it was good of you both to jump in and try to help.

File this one as solved and remember that "Asian Text Options" disables tracking and kerning options — at least in US English versions of CS3 Photoshop.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections