PF
Posted By
Paul Furman
Feb 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m wanting to caption my jpegs with EXIF descriptions then ultimately extract those with a PHP program for web pages. As I understand, the Windows Explorer file properties summary tab writes to the EXIF data without having to resave & degrade the jpeg. I’ve downloaded several exif reading utilities that are not able to read changes I make in explorer. I’ve seen other exif editors that may use a proprietary format and do re-save the jpeg. I’ve also found a command line editor that I might be able to call with PHP and roll my own editor in a way that’s compatible with the windows formatting. If not I can just use explorer.

Am I on the right track here? Other resources, considerations? If this is the wrong group to ask, then where?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

H
Hecate
Feb 8, 2004
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:29:12 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

I’m wanting to caption my jpegs with EXIF descriptions then ultimately extract those with a PHP program for web pages. As I understand, the Windows Explorer file properties summary tab writes to the EXIF data without having to resave & degrade the jpeg. I’ve downloaded several exif reading utilities that are not able to read changes I make in explorer. I’ve seen other exif editors that may use a proprietary format and do re-save the jpeg. I’ve also found a command line editor that I might be able to call with PHP and roll my own editor in a way that’s compatible with the windows formatting. If not I can just use explorer.
Am I on the right track here? Other resources, considerations? If this is the wrong group to ask, then where?

If you’re trying to alter EXIF details you may like to try:

http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
PF
Paul Furman
Feb 8, 2004
As a follow-up, if anyone’s following…

I couldn’t figure out where the win explorer properties comments go if it is exif, maybe into some godawful hex coding or something I think it’s not any kind of standard but their own. OTOH, the comment section is actually not part of the exif section but other programs I found can read it. Irfanview can preserve exif, jpeg comments and iptc. I don’t know about photoshop, I guess a lot of programs wipe out exif, maybe the others too.

Jhead http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead seems to work for what I want. I just call some simple command lines to edit the comments section of the header. I can construct the commands with PHP & save & delete temporary files in the process. I guess I’ll just put the jhead.exe where the script can find it & I’m good to go.

Paul Furman wrote:
PF
Paul Furman
Feb 8, 2004
Hecate wrote:
If you’re trying to alter EXIF details you may like to try:
http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/

Thanks, that might be a little better though similar to jhead. I’ve got it working mostly but am not sure about re-saving the lossy jpeg & if there is a way to avoid that. It seems silly that you can’t just tack onto the header without reprocessing the image.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections