J
Posted By
jonf
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using Photoshop on a daily basis at work for over ten years now, and have "mastered" upgrades through PS7 (though there’s still a lot to learn). However, my Photoshop at home has not been upgraded (or used for much) for years. I’m starting to do some freelance work and need to upgrade.

Is it even going to be possible to upgrade to version 7 from version … uh … 2.5? (I’m pretty sure it’s that old, but I’m not at that computer right now). I’d hate to have to pay for a full version when I actually own the software, however outdated. I’m on a G4, OS 9.2.2. RAM is a bit short (I think it was 268 Megs), but I can upgrade that if necessary. I don’t typically work on files any larger than 80 Megs or so at home.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
May 28, 2004
You can upgrade from ANY version to the most current, at regular upgrade price, as long as you have your original serial number and/or have registered your purchase with Adobe.

From 2.5.x, you’ll likely need to contact Adobe Customer Service. As I understand, it’s a relatively painless procedure (except for waiting in the phone queue, that is)

As for getting version 7.0.1, that might be a little difficult. You may find some for sale online, but be EXCEEDINGLY diligent in making sure you get a REAL, registerable copy of the full package.

Otherwise, if you go for Photoshop 8 (aka CS) you’ll also need to upgrade to OS X, which is something you’re going to have to do eventually anyway. And LOT’s more RAM will be in order…no less than 512 MB. And get the good stuff, even if it costs more. Cheap RAM has proven to be the source of many problems for many people.
J
jonf
May 28, 2004
Thanks Phos. That’s encouraging.

I agree, there’s no point in paying for the upgrade at all if I can’t get it legally. I know legal, unopened, new-in-box copies of PS7 upgrades are available, but not directly from Adobe any more.

I’ll eventually upgrade to OSX, but probably when I’m in the market for a whole new computer. I can’t afford to replace everything just yet.
T
Todie
May 28, 2004
What’s wrong with Photoshop 2.5?
P
Phosphor
May 28, 2004
"What’s wrong with Photoshop 2.5?"

<BenStern>"Don’t be stupid, ya moron!"</BenStern>

🙂
T
Todie
May 28, 2004
It was my favorite upgrade and I did some extraordinary work with it. A little freelance work on 80MB files with a slow computer don’t make me think of version 7 of Photoshop, unless certain color profiles have to be used.
P
Phosphor
May 28, 2004
Yeah…that’s when I started with Photoshop, as well.

Before that I had only used MacPaint (fun, nostalgic story) < http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&s tory=MacPaint_Evolution.txt>.

After that, Photoshop was like being rocketed into an alternate universe.
DM
Donald_M._Hobbs
May 31, 2004
Don’t be embarassed. I only have 64 MB of ram pumped up (to a degree) with virtual memory. I recently bought the upgrade, going from 3 to 7 and it works just fine. The newer version is a little sluggish because of my ram and an old iMac but it quite usable. I kept 3 though because it opens and operates much faster. So I do the rough cropping, image correction etc in 3 then switch to 7 for "healing", "save for web" etc. So my only suggestion is, don’t trash the old version. It was a great program from the start.
Donald Hobbs.
J
jonf
Jun 1, 2004
A little freelance work on 80MB files with a slow computer don’t make me think of version 7 of Photoshop, unless certain color profiles have to be used.

I’ve gotten dependant on the history palette, and 2.5 leaves me feeling always on the edge of disaster. And it’s really irritating not to have live text. Layer effects can be created pretty easily manually, but I prefer the simplicity of dealing with layer styles. I suppose I wouldn’t need to upgrade all the way to 7, but new, unopened copies of earlier versions are getting mighty hard to find.
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
jonf,

If you really, really want an older version of Photoshop, try <http://retrosoftware.com>
T
Todie
Jun 1, 2004
Jonf, I like and use Photoshop CS, but I was making my own type of layers in 2.5. They could’ve been called "new-same-size-files" (and imagination : )
VW
Vancouver_Workstation
Jun 1, 2004
Version 5.5 or 6 treated me right for years, have plenty of the good advanced features… and still does well on my older Power Mac 7600 series. But yeah, more RAM is almost always a good thing. Just have something else to do while you wait for those slow process times…
T
Todie
Jun 1, 2004
…. slow process times…

I’ve heard of knitting Hell’s Angels; I trust you’ll find a hobby : )

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections