M
Posted By
Maryo
Dec 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to level adjust some grayscale images (8 and 16bit) and contract the levels until the most bright nest pixels rise 255,255,255 (pure white) and the most dark nest rise 0,0,0 (pure black).

Thanks for any tips!

Mario

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Dec 24, 2003
Mario,

Levels – move the highlight and shadow input sliders to the beginning and end of the visible histogram
M
Maryo
Dec 24, 2003
Thanks Len for the tip, but I found the levels setting window a little small for very precise adjustment.

There is some way to better magnify the levels ?
T
terrencelee
Dec 24, 2003
not sure what youre trying to do, but ot sounds like you want a regular image converted to a high contrast image.

go to image>adjustments>brightness and contrast and raise your images contrast to 100 and you can change how it affects the pixels (light and dark) by fooling with the brightness bar.

it doesnt give as much control as levels but it gives a quick high contrast effect.

if thats not what your trying to do, maybe try explaining it a different way and ill see what i can suggest

terrence lee
L
LenHewitt
Dec 24, 2003
Mario,

Actually, Auto Levels should do what you require (but may cause some colour shift)
GT
Gene Trujillo
Dec 24, 2003
A tip for using levels is to hold alt/option while using the white or black sliders and it will show which pixels are being clipped.

Another tip you might find helpful is that while the levels dialog is open if you move your pointer over the image, on the info palette it will show the before and after color values for the pixel.
M
Maryo
Dec 29, 2003
Thanks all for the reply.

I’ve tested various time the Auto Levels feature, but I see that sometime is inaccurate. I better explain my needs:

– Create a small size image, for example a 1024×768,rgb,8bit – Reset the colors to Black and White
– Do a Render > Clouds filter
The goal now is to locate the most dark nest and bright nest area and level adjust it to rbg0,0,0 pure black and rgb255,255,255 pure white.

After various test, I’ve found the Threshold command very useful to locate the spots and indicate the right level to be used then with the Levels command.

The final result is an image with a perfect scaled grayscale range from black to white.

Greetings
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 29, 2003
Don’t think he needs to worry about a colour shift with grayscale images <g>

Russell
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 29, 2003
The goal now is to locate the most dark nest and bright nest area and level adjust it to rbg0,0,0 pure black and rgb255,255,255 pure white.

That’s what Auto-Levels does with grayscale images. You might prefer to use the Levels adjustment menu and select Auto from there. You’ll then see where the endpoints are being placed and can move them where you prefer. Auto-levels or auto-curves should not be inaccurate. It simply picks the lightest and darkest tone in an image and sets the values to 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 (unless you’ve changed the default values for the eyedroppers..)

Russell

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections