Posted By
Jasonxche
May 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I used Image->Adjustments->Level to adjust the image histogram. As far as I know, the algorithm for the adjustment of both end side is related to ‘linear stretching of histogram’. My question is what is the algorithm for the adjustment of midtone (the central triangle)? Is it logarithm transformation? Thanks for your help.

Jason

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 9, 2007
Jason,

The centre slider is for Gamma. It is the same as a single control point in the middle of a Curves adjustment.

Sliding it left or right is like moving the Curves centre control point up or down.

Unlike the (linear indeed) end sliders, this slider can’t push pixels beyond both ends, because the impact of moving the centre slider becomes zero at both ends of the histogram.

Rob
J
Jasonxche
May 9, 2007
Thank you Rob, is this Gamma same as the one in the ‘imadjust’ funcation in Matlab?

Jason
RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 9, 2007
I don’t know.

You can find out if there’s any difference by "bending" a grey wedge (bars) about.

Anyway, it’s adjusting mid-tones the most, and shadow and highlights the least.

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections