L
Posted By
lopinop
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
was doing fine, editing some letters. I took one of those for dummies book cover pics. I wanted to change the the learn ———— for dummies into a cover page for a portfolio i’m handing in. At first it was good, now when i click the horizontal type tool it has some square surrounding the I that shows where your moving your mouse, and i cant highlight text that is already there to edit it. So when i first hit the text tool i clicked on a portion of the page and started typing, highlighted it to change some sizes, color etc and it was good. Now i added some more stuff and saw that the text i typed before was a bit small, so i clicked the text tool again, but it comes out with that square around the I, and i can’t highlight the text, i can only create a rectangle now. Any help? thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BLUDVLZ
Dec 9, 2003
A few things to check:

First of all, are you working on the right layer? And is that layer still a text layer? You haven’t flattened your image or merged that layer with another layer, have you?

Is your text layer locked? Look for a small black lock on the right side of the layer in the Layers palette.

The rectangle you’re creating is a text box. Helpful if you’re doing any text that will need formatting.
L
lopinop
Dec 9, 2003
there is only 1 layer, it does look locked, anyway to unlock so i can edit the text?
L
lopinop
Dec 9, 2003
opened up original pic before i edited and i couldnt add a layer or anything, after clicking the layers toolbar, none of the selection were applicable
B
BLUDVLZ
Dec 10, 2003
Does the layer say "Background?"
L
LenHewitt
Dec 10, 2003
Lopingo,

and i cant highlight text that is already there to edit it. <<

You won’t be able to edit ‘text’ that has been scanned in or photographed, because it isn’t text – it’s just a ‘picture of text’
L
lopinop
Dec 10, 2003
len, no what i meant was i myself used photoshop to add text. Then when i came back to the text i added, i couldnt edit it. i’m not referring to text already in the pic when i opened it
L
lopinop
Dec 10, 2003
the layer says index not background
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 10, 2003
it’s part of the image. you can’t add a text layer to indexed mode (gif) files.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 11, 2003
Converting to Indexed colour (i.e. Saving as GIF) will have rasterized the text. It is now a ‘picture of text’ and not text.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections