7.0 to CS: Is Upgrade Highly Desirable for High-end Digital Camera User?

K
Posted By
Kalavinka
Dec 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Sis has 7.0 and a recent high-end Dimage digital camera. She wants to know if it’s really worth $170 more-or-less for her to upgrade, specifically as regards working with the those camera files.

She doesn’t have an option to go for the CS suite (too pricey and involves capability overkill for her limited range of use).

When I went to CS I was a little pumped about the supposedly cool browsing ability in the "open" dialogue as well as the Version Cue capability. Was a little bummed that I screwed up and upgraded individually thus losing those capabilities I could have gotten via the CS suite.

Am I misunderstanding PS CS? Would she actually get this cool ability to view and browse files at different resolutions in the PS CS standalone "file open" window?

Thanks for any tips. She’s kinda strapped so that kind of money is actually significant for her.

Dharmamitra

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NW
No Where Man
Dec 1, 2003
I upgraded for the very same reason. I’m using a Nikon D100, and the support for RAW, along with some of the new tools (highlight/shadow primarily) along with some of the new effects was well worth it.
RO
Robert_Oliver
Dec 2, 2003
Am I misunderstanding PS CS? Would she actually get this cool ability to view and browse files at different resolutions in the PS CS standalone "file open" window?

The standalone version of Photoshop CS is the same as the one in the Creative Suite packages. The improved file browser features are still there.

Thanks for any tips. She’s kinda strapped so that kind of money is actually significant for her.

You haven’t really said what or how she uses Photoshop, so it’s hard to give any advice on how to spend someone else’s money.
K
Kalavinka
Dec 2, 2003
Whew! Found the "browse" option I’d missed by jumping right into "open" expecting to find it there. Really nice.

As for the questions above, I had been confused by this passage in "Help" which led me to believe that certain features were unavailable in the standalone product:

* ** Note: The Adobe Version Cue features are compatible only with the Adobe Version Cue Workspace, which is available only as part of the Adobe Creative Suite…

and:

* ** Adobe Version Cue streamlines the following tasks while you work in the Creative Suite: • Creating file versions
• Browsing with file thumbnails, and searching file information … * **

Actually, her needs aren’t that sophisticated. Since I still scan my photos and then manipulate the data more conventionally, I’m a little dim as to whether CS’s ability to manipulate unmediated digital "camera raw" data makes that big a practical difference in end-product quality as it would manifest in print-outs from very small to poster-size integral to mixed-media art installations. I guess that’s what I was getting at.

Mitra
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Dec 2, 2003
She would be getting a much better RAW processor, some photofilters, 16 bit adjustment layers, better up and downsampling algorithms, and the cool shadow/highlight adjustment.
K
Kalavinka
Dec 2, 2003
Thanks Philo,

Sounds like it’s worth it in the long term. That last one in particular sounds worth it all by itself.

Mitra
KS
Ken_Storch_(aka_photon)
Dec 2, 2003
Mitra,

You might take a brief look at this online article I wrote discussing whether the new features are worth upgrading to:

< http://www.focusonimagingmag.com/currentissue/nov03/photo.tm l>

(as asked about another of my articles, No. I am not an Adobe employee, just a long-time enthusiatic user.)

I hope this helps answer your questions.
Ken Storch
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Dec 2, 2003
Very nice review, Ken.
K
Kalavinka
Dec 3, 2003
Ken,

Precisely the information I was looking for. Thanks so much.

Mitra
KS
Ken_Storch_(aka_photon)
Dec 3, 2003
Glad to be of some small help.

Ken Storch
PC
Patty_Clarke
Dec 3, 2003
Ken,

I also enjoyed your article and bookmarked to search through the other info soon!

Thanks for sharing,

patty 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
hey ken isn’t that spam?!! <wink!>
KS
Ken_Storch_(aka_photon)
Dec 3, 2003
dave,
No. the other article was spam!

Ken Storch
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections