Posted By
Allistair_Savage
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am fairly new to Photoshop
I have a macbook and a Nikon D100: I would like to achieve any easy workflow of shooting on location while my images immediately populate in photoshop. Am I able to do this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Sep 29, 2006
You need to get the info from Nikon about shooting tethered
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 29, 2006
: I would like to achieve any easy workflow of shooting on location while my images immediately populate in photoshop

Just curious –
What type of stuff are you shooting, what are the conditions, and what is you thought on wanting to open everything in Photoshop?
AS
Allistair_Savage
Sep 29, 2006
What type of stuff are you shooting, what are the conditions,
A. This would be in home (on location) photography portraits, family, pets etc

and what is you thought on wanting to open everything in Photoshop?
A. I initially thought that because photoshop is such a robust tool why would they not have this feature? maybe I’m wrong it seems…..
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 29, 2006
I initially thought that because photoshop is such a robust tool why would they not have this feature?

Photoshop is an editing tool to use after your photo shoot. I would recommend that you not get sidetracked with editing during the shoot. Particularly for portraits, families, pets, etc, you’ll have your hands full getting the shot.

If you want to have a laptop with you to review the shoot while still on location, there is a wide variety of programs available to do that.
B
Buko
Sep 29, 2006
If you want to have a laptop with you to review the shoot while still on location, there is a wide variety of programs available to do that.

I use Bridge to scan over the shots I do on location. I might open one or two in ACR just to see if its what I’m really after. But only after I download the pics from the CF card to the hard drive.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
I would recommend that you not get sidetracked with editing during the shoot.

That is very sound, practical advice.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 29, 2006
I use Bridge to scan over the shots I do on location. I might open one or two in ACR just to see if its what I’m really after

Depending on the expectations you have set up with your client, another option is to shoot RAW + JPEG and review the jpegs on screen in something like iPhoto. Very fast and very clean. When you get involved in Bridge and ACR with a client looking over your shoulder, it can seem very cumbersome.
B
Buko
Sep 29, 2006
I’m just talking about me. no clients.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 29, 2006
I was directing that advice more towards the OP. He seems like he’s just getting started.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
HmmÂ… He says he’s new to Photoshop and he has a MacBook. I doubt clients are his main concern at this stage.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
He also says:

What type of stuff are you shooting, what are the conditions,
A. This would be in home (on location) photography portraits, family,
pets etc
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 29, 2006
Tethered shooting is a very advanced workflow the complexities of which are not even justified for most pros. It makes more sense to be 100% focused 🙂 on getting the best shots. And if I recall (I own one) the D100 as an older DSLR does not support tethered shooting anyway.

Best workflow (exactly) is shoot, remove the CF card and upload to your MacBook using a Firewire CF card reader; eject the CF card on screen, wait 5 seconds then physically remove the CF card from the reader; burn a copy of the folder of images just created on to a second hard drive and/or to CD/DVD; only then put the CF card back into your D100 and reformat the card in camera. Camera-to-computer uploading should be avoided.

For general DSLR image capture review/manage/edit far and away the best application is Apple’s Aperture, which run adequately (it is a pro app that prefers pro hardware) on your MacBook if you max out the RAM.

Try to shoot RAW if you can tolerate the delay. As an older DSLR the D100 has a small buffer, and waiting for more than 3 shots to process can become unacceptably tedious. I always shot JPEG Fine on the D100 because pro DSLR shooting does not tolerate waiting between shots. However if you have the time RAW is far superior, allowing easy post process editing of things like white balance and exposure.

Do not upload directly into any application (e.g. iPhoto, Bridge, Aperture, etc.) even though many books and various otherwise competent users (IMO very wrongly) suggest such a workflow. Uploading directly into an application is a proven way to lose image data.
KJ
Kathryn_Jenkins
Sep 29, 2006
Get a card reader and use that rather than connecting the camera itself to your MacBook.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections