B
Posted By
bhilton665
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Most of the posts about CS are about activation, but I’d like to say a few words about the new features that are of interest to digital photographers. I’ve been using Photoshop since V4, including buying the V5, 5.5, 6 and 7 upgrades, and I think CS is the best upgrade ever for digital photography. Here are a few reasons why …

The Shadow/Highlight tool does an excellent job of plucking extra details out of the shadow areas, which is very useful if you’re scanning film, especially slides. The default settings are for backlit subjects that should have been shot with fill-flash and are overkill for most of my shots, but I changed the shadow ‘amount’ and ‘tonal width’ defaults to 25% (and usually modify them depending on the image) and see more subtle effects in the shadows. If you could build a very complex, subtle shadow mask and use curves to pull out the details without adding noise you’d be able to mimic what this tool does, but it does it effortlessly and it’s a very valuable additon to the digital toolbox, well worth the price of the upgrade I feel.

The RAW converter is now built-in and it’s so much better than the Canon crap I was using it’s not even funny. This is also a very worthy upgrade if you don’t have one of the expensive 3rd party converters.

CS now has much better 16 bit support, including layers, adjustment layers and adjustment layer masking. I know there’s debate about whether or not you need 16 bits (or at least Dan Margulis says you don’t), but if you want it you’ve got it.

To me, with the way I use Photoshop, these are the three top new features in CS. There are several other things that are also useful for digital photographers though, including a robust panorama stitching option, a "Photo Filter" that mimics various color correction filters like the 80, 81, 82 and 85 series, a histogram that’s always visible, the Color Replacement Tool for fixing red-eye or matching colors between files and a Filter > Blur > Lens Blur option that lets you play with various degrees of bokeh.

I work with four basic types of files, 6 Mpix digital camera tiffs and 4,000 dpi scans of 35 mm, 6×4.5 cm and 6×7 cm film. I set up some test suites to check CS vs V7 for speed and the V7 files running the same long actions took 175% to 270% longer to complete than the same tasks on CS, so CS is a good bit faster too.

Basically, it’s a great upgrade for me.

What about activation? All I had to do was open up my firewall once to let CS call the mothership and I was activated in seconds, then I disabled CS’s ability to access the net and it hasn’t asked for permission since. (There’s also an option to phone in for the activation number if you don’t want to go over the net even once). From what I understand activation looks for some unique ID number on your hard drive so when you open the ap it checks to see that you’re still using that same drive. I can see how this is a hassle if you change drives often but otherwise it’s not a big deal to me. I was able to activate on two computers without any problem.

If you have a valid serial number don’t let all the scare talk about activation keep you from this upgrade, it’s the best one yet.

Bill
(no, I do *not* work for Adobe 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
bhilton665
Nov 24, 2003
I’d like to say a few words about the new features that are of interest to digital photographers.

Also should have mentioned the two new resampling choices for when you have to interpolate … there’s a new ‘bicubic smoother’ for enlarging (something I rarely have to do so I haven’t tried it yet but I do have one test file I worked on earlier with Genuine Fractals, Stair Interpolation and just ‘bicubic in one step’ so I can try it against those options) and also a new ‘bicubic sharper’ for downsampling. I tried ‘sharper’ recently when I was downsizing some film scans to 600×400 for the web and to 100×100 for thumbnails and my impression is the final jpegs were higher quality with smaller file size than I was getting before, though I haven’t tried any exhaustive tests.

Bill
J
Joe
Nov 25, 2003
(Bill Hilton) wrote:

If you have a valid serial number don’t let all the scare talk about activation keep you from this upgrade, it’s the best one yet.

Bill

It’s not exactly what most people talking about the activation here cuz there is/are cracked version to skip the activation completely, so no scare talk or doesn’t need a second like you have to spent.

Most folks here are talking about the trouble in the future, the more control of your toy you give to Adobe and similar *not* about the courage you have to activate yours.
U
Uni
Nov 25, 2003
Bill Hilton wrote:
Most of the posts about CS are about activation, but I’d like to say a few words about the new features that are of interest to digital photographers. I’ve been using Photoshop since V4, including buying the V5, 5.5, 6 and 7 upgrades, and I think CS is the best upgrade ever for digital photography. Here are a few reasons why …

The Shadow/Highlight tool does an excellent job of plucking extra details out of the shadow areas, which is very useful if you’re scanning film, especially slides. The default settings are for backlit subjects that should have been shot with fill-flash and are overkill for most of my shots, but I changed the shadow ‘amount’ and ‘tonal width’ defaults to 25% (and usually modify them depending on the image) and see more subtle effects in the shadows. If you could build a very complex, subtle shadow mask and use curves to pull out the details without adding noise you’d be able to mimic what this tool does, but it does it effortlessly and it’s a very valuable additon to the digital toolbox, well worth the price of the upgrade I feel.

The RAW converter is now built-in and it’s so much better than the Canon crap I was using it’s not even funny. This is also a very worthy upgrade if you don’t have one of the expensive 3rd party converters.

CS now has much better 16 bit support, including layers, adjustment layers and adjustment layer masking. I know there’s debate about whether or not you need 16 bits (or at least Dan Margulis says you don’t), but if you want it you’ve got it.

There’s no debating that 16 bit editing is superior to 8 bit. I see many software vendors jumping on the 16 bit bandwagon. Soon, JPEG2000 will be included in digital cameras, rather than large TIFF and RAW formats.

Regards,
Uni

To me, with the way I use Photoshop, these are the three top new features in CS. There are several other things that are also useful for digital photographers though, including a robust panorama stitching option, a "Photo Filter" that mimics various color correction filters like the 80, 81, 82 and 85 series, a histogram that’s always visible, the Color Replacement Tool for fixing red-eye or matching colors between files and a Filter > Blur > Lens Blur option that lets you play with various degrees of bokeh.
I work with four basic types of files, 6 Mpix digital camera tiffs and 4,000 dpi scans of 35 mm, 6×4.5 cm and 6×7 cm film. I set up some test suites to check CS vs V7 for speed and the V7 files running the same long actions took 175% to 270% longer to complete than the same tasks on CS, so CS is a good bit faster too.

Basically, it’s a great upgrade for me.

What about activation? All I had to do was open up my firewall once to let CS call the mothership and I was activated in seconds, then I disabled CS’s ability to access the net and it hasn’t asked for permission since. (There’s also an option to phone in for the activation number if you don’t want to go over the net even once). From what I understand activation looks for some unique ID number on your hard drive so when you open the ap it checks to see that you’re still using that same drive. I can see how this is a hassle if you change drives often but otherwise it’s not a big deal to me. I was able to activate on two computers without any problem.

Bill
XT
xalinai_Two
Nov 25, 2003
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:58:26 -0500, Uni
wrote:

There’s no debating that 16 bit editing is superior to 8 bit. I see many software vendors jumping on the 16 bit bandwagon.

Many people jumping a bandwagon doesn’t mean there’s something good. You know how many people are one the Windows bandwagon already. You know how many flies eat s….

16 bit image correction and adjustment layers are fine but 16bit _editing_ is fiddling in the dark without seeing what you do on >98% of all PCs sold. No 48bit display modes, no 48bit capable monitor and you can’t see what you do.

Soon, JPEG2000 will be
included in digital cameras, rather than large TIFF and RAW formats.

I’d bet large amounts that no camera from a >10% market share manufacturer will be available with JPEG2000 before 2006.

Michael
MA
mohamed_al_dabbagh
Nov 25, 2003
Hi Bill!

I have to say that this version of Photoshop is amazing as compared to other so-called ugrades. Adobe felt shy for naming it Photoshop 8.0 due to the reason that they called previous version Photoshop 7.0 while it was nothing but 6PointSomething! You may go through the Requested Features Forum, and you realize that only little of the users requests were taken into consideration.

No word about it, 16-bit/channel is a great addition, but it does not actually satisfy other true needs. Using 16-bit space is a luxurious asset that does not contribute seriously in printing work nor on web. They only put the 16-bit to correct erratic previous manipulation of 16-bit depth. All other features could be done by experienced Photoshop users on older versions. But we have to confess that this new version will enable unexperienced users to do a lot.

Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer
W
westin*nospam
Nov 25, 2003
(Joe) writes:

(Bill Hilton) wrote:

Bill

It’s not exactly what most people talking about the activation here cuz there is/are cracked version to skip the activation completely, so no scare talk or doesn’t need a second like you have to spent.

Huh?

Most folks here are talking about the trouble in the future, the more control of your toy you give to Adobe and similar *not* about the courage you have to activate yours.

Huh?

Could you try translate that into English? I can’t parse, or understand, either of those "sentences".

-Stephen H. Westin
Any information or opinions in this message are mine: they do not represent the position of Cornell University or any of its sponsors.
W
westin*nospam
Nov 25, 2003
(Xalinai) writes:

wrote:

There’s no debating that 16 bit editing is superior to 8 bit. I see many software vendors jumping on the 16 bit bandwagon.

Many people jumping a bandwagon doesn’t mean there’s something good. You know how many people are one the Windows bandwagon already. You know how many flies eat s….

16 bit image correction and adjustment layers are fine but 16bit _editing_ is fiddling in the dark without seeing what you do on >98% of all PCs sold. No 48bit display modes, no 48bit capable monitor and you can’t see what you do.

Well, the issue is cumulative loss of precision. Retaining more precision means that you can do more before the image begins to degrade. I worked for a company that paid many bucks for hardware with 12 bits per color channel, simply because gentle airbrushing just didn’t work at 8 bit depth.

Soon, JPEG2000 will be

I’d bet large amounts that no camera from a >10% market share manufacturer will be available with JPEG2000 before 2006.

You may be wrong, if JPEG2000 is exempt from the patents that supposedly cover JPEG. I understand that Sony, among others, are already paying royalties.

-Stephen H. Westin
Any information or opinions in this message are mine: they do not represent the position of Cornell University or any of its sponsors.
XT
xalinai_Two
Nov 26, 2003
On 25 Nov 2003 14:55:46 -0500, westin*
(Stephen H. Westin) wrote:

(Xalinai) writes:

wrote:

Well, the issue is cumulative loss of precision. Retaining more precision means that you can do more before the image begins to degrade. I worked for a company that paid many bucks for hardware with 12 bits per color channel, simply because gentle airbrushing just didn’t work at 8 bit depth.

You need precision during processing – if you stack of adjustment layers calculates in integer math you will lose image information from bottom to top and it is almost neglectable if 16bit or eight bit integer math has been used. Intermediate data needs to be high precision double or 64bit floating point.

But you do not need and – my primary point – cannot control 16bit per channel _editing_ (=painting) without hardware supporting 48bit presentation. Otherwise you work on a 24bit representation of the 48bit image, like working on a 16bit graphics setting in windows when working on 24bit images.

Soon, JPEG2000 will be

You may be wrong, if JPEG2000 is exempt from the patents that supposedly cover JPEG. I understand that Sony, among others, are already paying royalties.

The patents on JPG cover creation of files – like those on GIF did. The patents on JPG last for less than five more years in some countries only.

If history repeats, like in the transition from GIF to PNG, there wil be no reaction in the user mass until time has resolved the problem again.

Michael
N
nospam
Nov 26, 2003
In article ,
(Xalinai) wrote:

[…]
You need precision during processing – if you stack of adjustment layers calculates in integer math you will lose image information from bottom to top and it is almost neglectable if 16bit or eight bit integer math has been used. Intermediate data needs to be high precision double or 64bit floating point.

Forgive my stupidity, but are you absolutely sure that PS/CS uses FP for those calculations, or do they just use big integers? Is not the image (usually) processed in relatively small, discrete chunks and presented on the screen as a contiguous image? I ask because some members of the math community were astonished to learn, for example, that PS doesn’t use FFTs. So perhaps they don’t use FP for things we assume they would. Adobe developers are smarter than I could dream of being. Maybe they do process a whole image for certain filters (cut out?) but what do I know?
J
Joe
Nov 26, 2003
westin* (Stephen H. Westin) wrote:

(Joe) writes:

(Bill Hilton) wrote:

Bill

Huh?

Huh?

Could you try translate that into English? I can’t parse, or understand, either of those "sentences".

Are you real or playing dumb?

English – Most folks don’t like the activate not because it’s a hard thing to do, but they don’t like what gives them no benefit.

Do you get it or you really need real English or some foreign language to make you feel better.
XT
xalinai_Two
Nov 26, 2003
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:56:00 -0600, (jjs) wrote:

In article ,
(Xalinai) wrote:

[…]

Forgive my stupidity, but are you absolutely sure that PS/CS uses FP for those calculations, or do they just use big integers? Is not the image (usually) processed in relatively small, discrete chunks and presented on the screen as a contiguous image? I ask because some members of the math community were astonished to learn, for example, that PS doesn’t use FFTs. So perhaps they don’t use FP for things we assume they would. Adobe developers are smarter than I could dream of being. Maybe they do process a whole image for certain filters (cut out?) but what do I know?

I assume PS CS still uses integer math (now 16bit), they would have had to rewrite major parts of the program otherwise – but there are people who know and who could repeat their tests.
There was a very interesting discussion on that topic several weeks ago.

There are other (cheaper) products that have a different approach but lack other features.

Michael
U
Uni
Nov 27, 2003
Xalinai wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:56:00 -0600, (jjs) wrote:

In article ,
(Xalinai) wrote:

[…]

I assume PS CS still uses integer math (now 16bit), they would have had to rewrite major parts of the program otherwise – but there are people who know and who could repeat their tests.
There was a very interesting discussion on that topic several weeks ago.

There are other (cheaper) products that have a different approach but lack other features.

Michael

Digital cameras surpassing the 24 bit, 8 bit/channel barrier: http://www.imagingspectrum.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/kodak_ dcs_pro_14n_digital_camera.html?L+scstore+vbzr6677ff837883+1 077029467
http://www.imagingspectrum.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/Better light_Super8kII.html?E+scstore http://www.on-focus.co.kr/sp_main.asp?subpart=insight

🙂

48 bit color – the wave of the future

🙂

Uni
CC
Chris Cox
Nov 29, 2003
In article , jjs
wrote:

In article ,
(Xalinai) wrote:

[…]

Photoshop (including CS) uses almost no floating point math. We use integer math for speed and accuracy.

Yes, some filters do use the whole image – most do not.
And there are a few filters (Lighting Effects) that are using floating point math.

Chris
S
Stuart
Dec 5, 2003

He is still waiting for a comprehensible sentence from you.

English – Most folks don’t like the activate not because it’s a hard thing to do, but they don’t like what gives them no benefit.

This one is a good example of your poor written skills, I can understand it if English is not your first language.

Do you get it or you really need real English or some foreign language to make you feel better.

He gets it but he would prefer a clearly written post in the first place, not one that takes a couple of readings to understand.

Stuart
J
Joe
Dec 6, 2003
Stuart wrote:

So he played dumb and you play dumber?

This one is a good example of your poor written skills, I can understand it if English is not your first language.

Good for you! which means I may know what you say in your own language and you may not know mine.

He gets it but he would prefer a clearly written post in the first place, not one that takes a couple of readings to understand.
Stuart

I hope he does.
S
Stuart
Dec 9, 2003
I am not getting into a slanging match but the amount of posts which are poorly written by an english speaking person are very high. So where is your country of origin then? What is your first language?

Just curious as ‘Joe’ doesn’t really pin it down to anything, if that is even your real name.

Stuart

Joe wrote:

Stuart wrote:

So he played dumb and you play dumber?

Good for you! which means I may know what you say in your own language and you may not know mine.

Stuart

I hope he does.
J
JJS
Dec 9, 2003
"Stuart" wrote in message
I am not getting into a slanging match but the amount of posts which are poorly written by an english speaking person are very high. So where is your country of origin then? What is your first language?

What is your native language? It is certainly not the Queen’s English, nor American English.
S
Stuart
Dec 10, 2003
What is your native language? It is certainly not the Queen’s English, nor American English.

I am not english but it is my native language.

Stuart
S
Stuart
Dec 10, 2003
jjs wrote:

Oh, we are playing this game, are we? ‘Queen’s English’?? You’re not from one of the home counties are you?
S
Stuart
Dec 10, 2003
jjs wrote:

Don’t bait people, it’s childish. I was simply making a point, fair

enough his first language is not English so apologies to him, I was having a

bad day. I just get fed up of the grammatically incorrect and poorly spelt

messages that have become the norm.

Stuart
N
nospam
Dec 10, 2003
In article wrote:

Then you might learn the language you criticize another of abusing. The word English is capitalized, and your post had errors regarding tense.
N
nospam
Dec 10, 2003
In article wrote:

jjs wrote:

Oh, we are playing this game, are we? ‘Queen’s English’?? You’re not from one of the home counties are you?

Learn the language, you f*king Colonial lowlife.
S
Stuart
Dec 10, 2003
jjs wrote:

In article wrote:

jjs wrote:

Learn the language, you f*king Colonial lowlife.

Colonial, where did you get that from?? Oh….my reference to the Home Counties (that is county not country), which surround London.

You really have got your knickers in a twist over this one.

Have you always been a twat or is it just a bad day today?

By the way, the two posts you just replied to were deleted and I posted a nice answer with an apology to the original poster in question.
S
Stuart
Dec 10, 2003
jjs wrote:

In article wrote:

Then you might learn the language you criticize another of abusing. The word English is capitalized, and your post had errors regarding tense.

Please highlight and correct the errors for me, so as not to make the same mistake again.

Cheers.
J
JJS
Dec 10, 2003

Please highlight and correct the errors for me, so as not to make the same mistake again.

you said

I will address just your first sentence. It could not be more incorrect. Slanging is not a word. A comma is to occur before the word ‘but’. Use the word ‘number’ instead of ‘amount’. English is to be capitalized, and ‘English-speaking’ is preferred. The word ‘which’ is to be used to distinguish from another occurrence: the word ‘that’ is preferred in your sentence, and finally, ‘persons are’ should be ‘persons is’.

Regardless of the grammar, it is bad form to use the word ‘but’ to excuse the very fact that what you are doing is evinced by the first clause.

Enough. I’m stupid about PS so you will have chances to correct me within the context of this group. 😉
J
Joe
Dec 10, 2003
Stuart wrote:

Just curious as ‘Joe’ doesn’t really pin it down to anything, if that is even your real name.

Stuart

I don’t see it has anything to do with Photoshop. But if you want to know then I sure can give you a try.

"Hezus leufes jeniouz zenous moelions"

Hope it answers your question <g>
N
nospam
Dec 11, 2003
In article wrote:

jjs wrote:

Colonial, where did you get that from?? Oh….my reference to the Home Counties (that is county not country), which surround London.

I was jesting, but it sure didn’t come out that way.

By the way, the two posts you just replied to were deleted […]

Deleting or canceling posts rarely works anymore. You might delete a post on Google, but the cancel is rarely propagated to the rest of the servers.
S
Stuart
Dec 11, 2003
jjs wrote:

In article wrote:

jjs wrote:

I was jesting, but it sure didn’t come out that way.

By the way, the two posts you just replied to were deleted […]

Deleting or canceling posts rarely works anymore. You might delete a post on Google, but the cancel is rarely propagated to the rest of the servers.

Thought that would happen but never been able to prove it.

Stuart
S
Stuart
Dec 11, 2003
jjs wrote:

you said

I will address just your first sentence. It could not be more incorrect. Slanging is not a word. A comma is to occur before the word ‘but’. Use the

Slanging may not be a word you find in a dictionary, but ‘slanging match’ is a commonly used term, which in itself is slang.

word ‘number’ instead of ‘amount’. English is to be capitalized, and ‘English-speaking’ is preferred. The word ‘which’ is to be used to distinguish from another occurrence: the word ‘that’ is preferred in your sentence, and finally, ‘persons are’ should be ‘persons is’.

Are you an English teacher by any chance?

Regardless of the grammar, it is bad form to use the word ‘but’ to excuse the very fact that what you are doing is evinced by the first clause.

Must be an English teacher.

Stuart

Enough. I’m stupid about PS so you will have chances to correct me within the context of this group. 😉
S
Stuart
Dec 11, 2003
Stuart wrote:

jjs wrote:

you said

I will address just your first sentence. It could not be more incorrect. Slanging is not a word. A comma is to occur before the word ‘but’. Use the

Slanging may not be a word you find in a dictionary, but ‘slanging match’ is a commonly used term, which in itself is slang.

I meant to say commonly used expression.

word ‘number’ instead of ‘amount’. English is to be capitalized, and ‘English-speaking’ is preferred. The word ‘which’ is to be used to distinguish from another occurrence: the word ‘that’ is preferred in your sentence, and finally, ‘persons are’ should be ‘persons is’.

Are you an English teacher by any chance?

Must be an English teacher.

Stuart

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections