JF
Posted By
Jodi Frye
Sep 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hate to start another thread on this subject but I need some advice. I cannot find the camera I am seeking at B & H Photo ;( Has anyone ever dealt with ‘ TriState.com ‘ ? I’m having a difficult time with the search for the best price from a trust worthy internet dealer. Fuji FinePix S-602 ( I know it’s outdated but it’s still the one I want )

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 15, 2003
Jodi, did you check www.resellerratings.com? It gives ratings on most of the ‘Net businesses. I think www.price.com also does that.

Chuck

p.s. and then there’s always e-Bay…..
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 15, 2003
Chuck, thanks i’ll check into it right now. As far as E-bay…na, not for pricey cameras. I have a wee bit more brains than that. πŸ˜‰ I did also just find it at Beach Camera.com where everyone gave bright smiley face reviews on the store….not sure if those are reliable though.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 15, 2003
Jodi, I checked – Beach got outstanding ratings, Tristate….well…..not quite so high. Go with Beach – quick, before it’s gone!

πŸ™‚

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 15, 2003
Chuck, I was just coming back to tell you the same thing ! lol I want to , i want to…but I got to talk to hub first…he’s not home t’il 10-ish tonight ;( How I wish i could just forget that conversation and order it this second ! Oh, I’m looking at getting the Epson 1280 printer as well….there is a reason for my madness πŸ™‚
PA
Patti Anderson
Sep 15, 2003
Try here, they have it: <http://www.buydig.com>

Patti
PD
Pete D
Sep 15, 2003
Jodi,

Did this one replace the one you are looking at? FinePix S-5000 Digital Camera – New – 10X Optical Z $499
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 15, 2003
Hi Patti, yes i was in there and looked around for a while. It’s very tiresome looking for a seller.

Pete, I’m not sure I would say it ‘replaced ‘ it. The s602 is still on the Fuji site at a higher price. Despite the 10X zoom in the 5000 I still prefer the s 602…i don’t know…i compared the 2 quite a bit along with the 7000 but for what i want to do with it I think the 602 will be my baby…I think. I missed you last week πŸ˜‰

Chuck, i mailed you for some additional info…thanks.
P
Phosphor
Sep 15, 2003
BTW, Jodi, I was looking at the ratings for buydig.com myself, and I think I would go with Beach instead, unless anyone here has any personal experience with them?
PD
Pete D
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi,

Missed you last week too. The little ones kept me occupied. Gheeze,… two year olds are …. ehh, you know…..and 2 year old X 2 = a very interesting and mostly entertaining week : )

My head is still trying to adjust from going from sea level to 35,000 feet then down, and then back up to 35,000 before descending on about 5000 feet. Then a week of 7,000 feet, driving up to 14,000, back to 7000 then walking the 7500-8500 foot Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. I was really glad to hear my ears pop that one last time over Tampa Bay returning here.

Pete
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
Barb, I actually found them( Beach)in the back of my PC Photo magazine first and then went on to check it out. I don’t mind spending a little extra as long as I know I’m dealing with a reputable company. Anyways, I’m still waiting for a reply from Chuck on the mail i sent him before i leap. I hate spending money even if it is for a great camera. Though, it is only money.

Pete, ya i’m sure you are glad to be back home. I guess it will be a while before you see the little ones again…Hey, they can visit you next time ! Sounds like you had a good time with lots of exersise…now you need a vacation !
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi, I wrote back….did you not get my e-mail??
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
No I didn’t get it ! Darn it, I was having problems with my mail but thought they were over ! Could you try sending it again ? Meanwhile I have to see what’s going on ! grrrrr
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi, did you get my 2 e-mails as well?
One of these was about buying this camera.
I would go for teh new model, because of its larger exposure latitude. This is extremely important as we all know about the problems of bleached out highlights.

Leen
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 16, 2003
Leen, I think Jodi’s e-mail is kaput; I’ve been getting mail delivery failure notices overnight here…

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
Leen and chuck, no i did not got mail from you or anyone else. I’m waiting for tech support to open at 8 this morning and hopefully I’ll get this cleared up. I’ll be looking forward to reading my mail !
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi, good luck – I know how frustrating that can be….
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
OK, just got off the phone with tech support and yes it’s them and not me. They said they are working on it and that they are hoping to be up and running at some point today. At least I can still get on line. Chuck or Leen or anyone else…should i go for the s5000 or s7000 fuji Fine pix. I need the camera for taking portraits ( not group ) … Anyone know where to get cheap portrait lighting ?
RM
Ron Mayhew
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi,

I just bought a Nikon 5700 from Butterfly Photo. They had the best price around, were courteous on the phone and sent it immediately by Fedex 2 day express. Couldn’t be happier.

Ron
AT
Andrew Turek
Sep 16, 2003
Anyone ever long for the days when being out of touch meant that the post (mail if you prefer) was late this morning?

No, I thought not. Neither do I.

Andrew
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
My mail apears to be trying. I got one message in my inbox from Leen but it was the second or third half of which the first i did not get.

Andrew, not having e-mail is like not having my daily morning coffee…..worse !
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
Ron, thank you for the recommendation !! Will look into it.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi, I haven’t found a review of the S7000 yet – but it looks awesome, especially for the price. Will go back to see if I can find a review…

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 16, 2003
Ken, that’s really interesting. Does anyone here have any experience with those hexagonal pixels to know how well the theory holds up in practice?
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi, go for the new Fuji. Its extended exposure latitude is the key to success! πŸ˜‰ And buy a sturdy tripod with a reliable ballhead with it, because so much zoom cannot be used handheld. Moreover, when it is on a tripod you will have both your hands free and that can be extremely useful when you have to pose people.

Hope you will be able to read your mail soon, because it took me quite some time to tell you what i considered you have to know.

BTW: missing morning coffee is the worst thing that can happen to mankind, even worse than missing e-mail.
I cannot remember a morning without coffee; I still remember the days without e-mail.

Leen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
wow, Leen, yes i got your wonderful mail ( Chuck, I still didn’t get yours ) and i replied. i truly appreciate everything you sent. You are a good man πŸ˜‰

Ken, geeze, it almost sounds too good to be true. I feel if I buy the s5000 I’ll be doing well ( very ). OK, I must go check into the 5000 or 7000 thinking process. I’m thinking now that the s5000 will be a good(great) buy.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi, I don’t know what happened to my mail – maybe your ISP looked at it and determined it was junk…

πŸ™‚

Re s5000 vs s7000: the big difference is twice the native pixels in the s7000. Could come in handy for the really big enlargements. But then, Leen has done very well with incremental upsampling, and the s5000 does its own interpolation to get an image that’s 6 megapixels vs. the camera’s native 3 mp. I’m guessing you’ll be happy with the s5000 at the incredible prices I’m seeing advertised…

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
chuck, re; junk mail…i don’t think so ! πŸ˜‰ Got everyone’s mail bit by bit. It also depends how often or how many times your isp will resend it before giving up…which it probably did…I’m sorry ;( Beach Camera site is updating right now so can’t check prices there at the moment but I’m heading to B & H Photo so I’ll have something to compare it to later. I’m getting excited !
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
Update; Beach Camera has the camera ( Fujis5000 )at a lower price ( much lower ) than B & H Photo However ( big however ) Beach camera did not include all that is ‘suppose’ to be in the box…so there ya have it. I’m sticking with B & H Photo. Thanks everybody….especially Chuck for pointing me towards checking things out ‘ properly ‘ before jumping.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 16, 2003
Jodi, I wrote you back again – did you get my e-mail? If not, no big deal – sounds like a good decision!
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 16, 2003
Oh, one more thing…i use the ‘mail me a better price’ option on both of those sites. Chuck, I don’t see the mail yet but I’m sure it’s coming πŸ˜‰ Thanks again !
AT
Andrew Turek
Sep 17, 2003
Jodi, I have had email for four years and coffee for forty-odd, having been introduced to it probably far too young. I can live without email for a few hours, but take away my morning coffee and you’ve got a homicidal maniac on your hands. And give me decaff and it’s worse, that adds insult to injury.

Well done Seattle and to hell with the Espresso tax!

Andrew
P
Phosphor
Sep 17, 2003
Oh, did they reject it?! I haven’t seen any of the election results yet. The last thing our baristas need is another tax. Government officials may think the extra dime would have come from the drinkers of the espresso, but it actually would have come right out of the tip jar for the minimum wage workers. That’s what’s happened with prior increases in sales tax around here. Tax goes up; tips go down.
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 17, 2003
ok coffee is a must no doubt.

I bought the camera last night ! B&H Photo was the seller. UPS 3 day delivery ! I’m so excited !
P
Phosphor
Sep 17, 2003
Great, Jodi! Congratulations!
PD
Pete D
Sep 17, 2003
Jodi

So did you get the 602 or the 5000 that I asked about?

PeteD

I bought the camera last night ! B&H Photo was the seller.
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 17, 2003
Pete, hi there , I ended up getting the s5000 through recommendations of experienced photographers. I’m nervous ! Hope i can figure out how to use it to it’s full potential ! Also, it’s beginning to look like ‘yard sale’ time ( I don’t have a garage ) πŸ˜‰

I can’t be on-line too much anymore before 2:30 now that my daughter is in Kindergarten ( i have one phone line and I use dial-up connection). This paranoid mom needs to think about another phone line or a cell phone. I hate cell phones !
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 17, 2003
Jodi,
Congratulations on your new purchase. Let us know how you like it. I am in need of a new digital camera and have been considering the Fuji S5000 and the Olympus C-750. Still "kicking the tires."
I had 2 phone lines – one for phone, one for computer. I got rid of the 2nd phone line for the computer and switched to cable – Cox in our location – and the connection is fast and the dollar amount is about the same.
Ken
JD
Juergen D
Sep 17, 2003
Jodi,

Congratulations from me too. You got me very interested in the s5000.

Speaking of cable: that’s the way to go! You’ll never look back at dial-up. BTW I sent you three e-mails between Monday and Tuesday. If you did not get any one of them you may want to consider another ISP anyway. (And give in, get a cell phone, too πŸ™‚ )

Juergen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 17, 2003
Juergen, i got your messages and replied to them but you probably didn’t get them due to isp problems. Yes i know I should consider cable connection but…not right now…i have too many other things on the table at the moment. cell phone shmell phone πŸ˜‰

I should have the camera friday and will take me a while to get used to all the settings. I’ve been using a simple point and shoot for the last year….so I’ll let you all know how it goes and i’ll probably post some pics somewhere to share. I’ll be hoping to tell you that ‘fuji Rocks ! ‘ πŸ™‚
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 17, 2003
Oh Beth ! did you get my mail ?
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 17, 2003
Jodi

Another option is a v92 modem, if your provider supports it. Dubbed ‘modem on hold’, if you have an incoming call whilst online, you are alerted and can pick up the call,your modem connection is put on hold untill the call is completed.

May be OK for the price of a new modem and call call waiting service.

(OK for me, just had aDSL installed about a month ago) πŸ˜€

Paul
JD
Juergen D
Sep 17, 2003
Jodi, no, I didn’t get any replies…

Juergen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 17, 2003
Juergen, i checked my sent items to refresh my memory on our mail status. You had said you had bought from beach camera in the past and that you were happy with the purchase and the service. At the time i thought i was going to buy from them as well and replied to you with that thought….. but later found that the items in the box they were to sell me were inconsistent with that of the fuji home site and B&H Photo….which justified the ‘lower cost’ of the camera. I wanted ‘all’ specified items so i paid the extra money to B & H Photo. It was the right thing to do πŸ˜‰
JD
Juergen D
Sep 17, 2003
Thanks, Jodi. I hope they’ll get that outgoing e-mail fixed for you pretty soon.

Juergen
JD
Juergen D
Sep 18, 2003
Jodi,

I got two messages from you and answered both… the last one only a few minutes ago.

Juergen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 18, 2003
Juergen, got one message from you and replied. I also got messages from Chuck, Leen and Beth…hope it stays working ! When I was having problems receiving mail from this country I was able to get and send mail to Leen in Holland..Soooooo, go figure !
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 18, 2003
Jodi, got your message about 5 minutes after you sent it. Did you get my response? Chuck
JD
Juergen D
Sep 18, 2003
Jodi,

I sent two messages yesterday pm, the first at 5:26, the second at 9:49. I have not received any response from you.

Juergen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 18, 2003
grrrrrr, it works when it wants to. Juergen, I just sent you a message…Chuck I sent you a message at 8:20 am…first line was …’ better late than never….’ did you get that one ? Pete, i’m sending you a message..let me know if you get it…reply and create new message and I’ll see if it works either way.
JD
Juergen D
Sep 18, 2003
Jodi, I got the 9:40 message. And I replied at 10:05. I had sent you another message earlier, at 9:09 which you must not have gotten either.

Juergen
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 18, 2003
Jodi, I can read you loud and clear.

To keep you busy, did you receive my 2 e-mails of a few minutes ago? I did put a lot of work in it… πŸ˜‰

Or should I mail to Beth, Chuck and JΓΌrgen first and ask them to forward the message to you and see who comes in first.

You can make your bet now… πŸ˜‰

Leen
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 18, 2003
Leen, good evening (appears to be about 10:36 or so where you live…)

I think Jodi’s e-mail is still impaired; I occasionally get one from her but she doesn’t receive mine.

Oh, well….at least there’s still the forum!

Chuck
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 18, 2003
Chuck, good guess. Right time. BTW, good afternoon.

I just wondered about the time difference. I know the east coast is 6 hours as I’ve been in NH at Lake Winnepesaukee (correct spelling?)for 40 hours, now I know the Adobe coast difference is 9 hours.
This way we have almost all day available to drink our mutual morning coffees.

Leen
PD
Pete D
Sep 18, 2003
Jodi,

Not sure what is going on in cyberworld but my "Excite" and "Hotmail" E mail accounts are not receiving either. Have not received mail at those accounts for several weeks. My real (unpublished) e mail is working fine though.

PeteD
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 18, 2003
Leen, according to my Palm organizer CityTime program, you are in the timezone GMT + 1 hour, while I’m in GMT minus 6 hours. There’s a slight difference in the timing of our respective daylight saving time periods, but otherwise, it’s a 7 hour difference.
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 18, 2003
I’m back, i replied to you all over on the printer (im)permanence thread.

Time zones are strange. If you are an American who owns a biz in China…do you wake up at 3:30 am to make a phone call to your biz associates over there ? That would suck !

Forum zone>only worthwhile zone πŸ™‚
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 18, 2003
Jodi, the strangest time zones I’ve encountered are in Australia, where they may be only 30 minutes apart instead of an hour – can you imagine trying to keep up with that? Our friend Susan S. is in one of those off-hour zones…
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 19, 2003
Update; Jodi frye is now the proud owner of the fuji S5000 that came to her door today via UPS. She opens the box and finds all that is promised. She holds it in her hands and it feels real good. Smaller than she thought it would be but she’s thrilled regardless. She’s half way through the manual. πŸ™‚ She’s debating on whether or not to install the software that came with the camera. She really doesn’t have to ’cause she bought a card reader and intends to use PS for any editing needs. Although the software has raw converter but will she be shooting in raw ? Only time will tell on what she decides. Stay posted to further be annoyed by her πŸ˜‰
R
Ray
Sep 19, 2003
Congratulations Jodi πŸ™‚

If the RAW converter software is fast, I believe Jodi should definitively shoot RAW. Granted, it takes more space on the card, but the rewards are equally great. Like the ability to correct a badly exposed picture, add more constrast, etc. Also, Jodi might find it interesting to know that some driver will permit the owner to leave his/her name in the camera memory. In case it gets stolen, it’s one more proof that the camera was Jodi’s.

Ray
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 19, 2003
Jodi, ditto everything Ray said!

And congratulations to you – and to Fuji, who will ultimately benefit when people see the incredible pictures you take and decide that a Fuji camera will help them take similar pictures!

πŸ™‚
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 19, 2003
Jodi, you won’t regret buying this camera.

I sold a Fuji camera with a similar chip to a customer of mine and every day she keeps on mailing new images to me. πŸ˜‰
She is so extremely enthousiastic about it and the results of this expanded exposure latitude indeed are amazing!

Whenever I might be around, I’ll drop by to have my portrait made by you with this combination of a wonderful camera and an overtalented woman. πŸ˜‰

Leen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 19, 2003
Jodi falls over backwards over the kind words written to her. She will probably shoot in raw. She will install the software. She is thankful to have such wonderful friends πŸ™‚
R
Ray
Sep 19, 2003
Her friends are equally greatfull to know her, and especially to see her talent displayed on the Challenge, week after week. Her friends feel it’s a never ending source of inspiration πŸ™‚
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 19, 2003
<blush>

Ray, I feel the same about all of you. This place is darn great !
BB
Bert Bigelow
Sep 19, 2003
She will probably shoot in raw

It’s not necessary, Jodi. You can wear clothes when using the camera. πŸ™‚
Bert
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 19, 2003
Bert, it must be her Penthouse connection…..

πŸ˜‰

Chuck
JD
Juergen D
Sep 19, 2003
Congratulations, Jodi! πŸ™‚

Juergen
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 20, 2003
OMG…wear clothes when taking pictures ?? Whoever heard of that …Bert ! πŸ˜‰

chuck, ya right, that must be it.

Juergen, thank you !
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi

You take photos in the raw? Do you need a model?

Grant
BB
Bert Bigelow
Sep 20, 2003
You take photos in the raw? Do you need a model?

See? I’m not the only dirty old man here.
πŸ™‚
Bert
GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 20, 2003
Bert

Watch that *old* man thing … woops you are right …. where did all the years go?

Grant
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 20, 2003
Grant:

Are we "reelin’ in the years"? (Steely Dan, 1973)

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 20, 2003
geeze, makes no difference in age. Boys, men….your all on the same train…one track mind….heading to the big ‘blue’….yonder. πŸ˜‰

Well, I get a wopping 9 pics on my camera with a 64mb xd picture card in RAW format. I should have bought the 128+mb card. Note to self; don’t spend before knowing the facts….famous last words.
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi,

geeze, makes no difference in age. Boys, men….your all on the same
train…one track mind….heading to the big ‘blue’….yonder. πŸ˜‰
We are all on our own train and that track has switches that can shunt you onto turnouts where you can bide your time or let you crossover to other tracks along the way. It’s not immutable. Myself, I prefer to set my own switches. Now if I can just keep from derailing before I reach my final destination.

Well, I get a wopping 9 pics on my camera with a 64mb xd picture card in
RAW format.

First of all, let me congratulate you on your new S5000! Great choice, Fuji has been doing interesting things with their cameras. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend you get some rechargeable NiMH batteries. Here’s a link to a review of them: http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Now about that RAW shooting. Some may consider this heresy but you don’t always have to shoot in raw. From what I’ve seen, the highest quality/resolution jpg setting also gives very good results and is very close to raw. For most use, I think jpg will be fine and you’ll get a lot more shots on your 64mb card. I’d recommend that you do a test of raw vs jpg with your own camera and in lighting conditions that you would normally expect to be shooting — shoot the same subject in both modes. That way you can make up your own mind about it.

For many, raw vs jpg borders on religious fanaticism. I won’t go there. I’m pragmatic, use whatever works best for you. You don’t have to use either one exclusively.

Enjoy you new camera!!!

Bob
BB
Bert Bigelow
Sep 20, 2003
Bob,
Agree with you totally. I have run tests with both my cameras, comparing highest quality JPEG with RAW and/or uncompressed TIFF. I cannot see the difference until I zoom WAY in so I am looking at individual pixels. For me, it is just not worth it. Not only does it limit picture capacity on the cards, but both of my cameras are rather slow in saving the picture, and in TIFF or RAW, it just takes forever.
Bert
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi, don’t buy a 128+ card. Go for much higher. When I went digital is bought myself two 128 cards, a friend gave me his 64 card, later I had to buy a 256 card and ended up with buying two 512 and a 1Gb card too. So now I have 2.5 Gb and I ,m still always afraid I will run out of memory, especially when I’m comissioned abroad. (BTW: today someone asked me if I would be able to cover his wedding in Venice(Italy) and he was surprised he didnot get a rebate because I would be able to visit Venice as well… It ‘s work and working abroad is more exhausting than at home)

So, go for at least 512Mb and you will be surprised how soon you will buy your next card!

Leen
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2003
Hi, Jodi. I’ve been shopping for larger cards, too, and to me it looks like it’s cheaper to get two 256 cards than one 512. BTW, our local Target has a really good sale on compact flash cards right now–competitive with any price I’ve found on the net. Don’t know if that would be the same where you are.

EDIT I totally agree with Leen. 128 is not nearly enough. I’d get a gig card, but I figure for a klutz like me it’s better to have more smaller cards. I’d be pretty unhappy if I messed up one of the really big cards.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 20, 2003
Bob, I was one of those fanatics for RAW of whom you speak – not based on any comparisons of actual image quality, but rather the feeling that RAW just HAD to be better. I’ve since backed way off, and use lowest-compression/highest-quality JPEG for a good portion of my needs, especially when I’m fairly confident the images are going to be used for e-mail, newsletters, website, etc. and not ever likely to be made into huge prints. I’ll still switch over to RAW when I’m on a mission to create some images that have a higher likelihood of becoming large prints – which, frankly, isn’t very often. The difference in the Canon world between RAW and JPEG is a factor of about 3, as I recall. It would be a no-brainer if the comparision were between JPEG and TIFF, which is more like a factor of 12 – JPEG would rule in that circumstance.

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 20, 2003
Barbara, thanks for the tip on Target for CF cards; I’m in the market, so will trot over there this afternoon! Chuck
R
Ray
Sep 20, 2003
I will shoot RAW for the exact same reasons Chuck mentionned. For our Canon, RAW = 8 Mb and JPEG =
2.5 Mb.
Also, only RAW permits to transfer the pictures in TIFF 16 bits. Now, I’ve seen some discussions before on the relevancy of 8 vs 16 bitts and after trying it for myself, I can say that I do see a difference between TIFF 8 bits and 16 bits. It helps to make some adjustments (details in shadows) more easily manageable.

And if I shoot for a someone else, it’s RAW only. Should make an error, it will be corrected more easily.
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 20, 2003
Well I was really anxious to play with my new camera today even though the sun refuses to shine. I just wanted to get the feel of the camera so i put it in ‘auto’ mode and took some shots. I also left it in jpeg at lowest compression. I really, really love this camera ! Extremely user friendly.

here <http://www.mybizz.net/l/w/lwsfrye/acorns.jpg> was a quicky ‘ in between’ the wind shot in macro. I did not touch it except re-size it for PC viewing.
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2003
Great shot, Jodi! But those are cones not acorns! πŸ™‚ That looks a lot like a fir tree. Is it? If so, I’d probably feel right at home there in upstate New Yawk.
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2003
Really impressive detail, Jodi! Great shot.
JD
Juergen D
Sep 20, 2003
because I would be able to visit Venice as well…

Leen,

Are you going?? If nothing else, you won’t have any problems with your outdoor shots as far as background is concerned. We went last year and really enjoyed it.

Juergen
JD
Juergen D
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi,

That is a nice picture! I’m really tempted to get the S5000, too. Maybe for Christmas??

Juergen
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi
Great detail. Have you had a chance to try out the flash? Ken
R
Ray
Sep 20, 2003
Now, add some snow, a nice frosty frame and… Merry Christmas πŸ˜‰

Nice picture, quality seems to be excellent! You’re gonna have a whole lot of fun, I’m pretty sure!
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 20, 2003
Beth, did I say acorn ?? duh. It’s a tiny dinky tree that stands about as high as me. The sun did finally come out this afternoon and WOW…you guys, the color is phenominal with this fuji ! I can’t get over it. I piddled around the yard looking for things to take pictures of….anything…even tall grass. I can’t tell you how accurate the color is and how sharp the images look. Did i tell you the camera has a 6mp setting for capture quality ?…that’s what i’m using. I admit I’m still on ‘auto’ mode but will get the gutts up to expand the field when I’m feeling overly comfy with it. My photo guy sayse the S7000 is the one that should blow some socks off some people….the ones with extra cash X-D
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi, it’s a spruce tree, probably Norway, possibly White. Gorgeous trees – we only see them in this part of Texas at Christmas…..cut….

Chuck
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi, you wrote "…anxious to play with my new camera today even though the sun refuses to shine"
This is a common misunderstanding. Once, we all were told to shoot in bright sunshine whenever possible. Preferably with the sun in the back.
This "rule" dates from the days of extremely slow films with often small exposure latitude. These films couldnot cope with great contrasts, but needed quite a lot of light for handheld shots.
Backlit shots are usually boring because everything is lit too evenly; there is hardly any contrast to make subjects stand out from the background.
Direct sunlight often brings too much contrast; especially digital cameras don’t like too much contrast, so the best "photographic weather conditions" are with a slightly overcast sky.
I always try to avoid direct sunlght, so, especially when it comes to environemental portraiture I ‘m always looking for more shady conditions.

JΓΌrgen, when the customer accepts my price offer I will go to Venice, but they had to think it over. Usually I’m a little sceptical about these requests. In general, people who want to show how much they can afford by flying the wedding party to some far away venue, these people are the ones that try to save on expenses for their wedding album. It occurs too often to me that people want me for their wedding to show they can afford me and afterwards they want to buy only a few images, because the wedding guests won’t know they could hardly afford the "show", but at least, the guests have seen me, a well known photographer….. Although, to US standards, I’m rather cheap.
But maybe I ‘m mistaken. I just sit back, wait and see.

These past few months I’ve been asked twice from Singapore, once from San Diego and once from Los Angeles. But I hate flying for a long time like more than a few hours, so I quoted prices about 6000 to 8000 euro + expenses. And I think this isnot extremely expensive as travelling, recovering from a jet lag etc, will cost me about a week. They had to think it over too. If they really want to show off, they ‘ve got to be able to pay for it! (-;
A six hours flight to the US east coast is about the limit for me.

Leen
DH
Dave Hamer
Sep 20, 2003
Jodi

That is a remarkably good clear shot of the pine cones.

Dave
BB
Bert Bigelow
Sep 21, 2003
Jodi,
Re card sizes: Before you buy any big (512MB,1GB) cards, make sure your camera can handle them. I was going to buy a 512MB card for my Oly E20, and I checked with Oly Tech Support…they said 256MB max.
The E20 is an old design. Probably most new cams will handle larger cards, but it wouldn’t hurt to check.
I don’t know what kind of cards your Fuji takes, but out here in Southern California, 256 MB seems to be the "hot" price point right now for CF cards. As someone said in an earlier post, you can buy two 256’s for less than one 512. Definitely true here.
Bert
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 21, 2003
Leen, I agree that bright full sun isn’t the best for alot of shots but I think my images look way better when the sun is present. Yes in a slightly shaded area they are perfect. I just hated the fact that I got my camera when the weather sucked. That dang Isabelle! The wind was still screwing me up as well…even after the sky opened. Ya, I’ll look into the memory cards soon. I think I’m ready to move the dial off ‘auto’ and do some real playing tomorrow πŸ˜‰ Thanks

Bert, I’m not sure what the limit is. the chart in the manual shows it up to 512 but there may be some other info that i looked over too quickly. It’s a good manual though. well put together for the idiots like me πŸ˜‰
P
Phosphor
Sep 21, 2003
Jodi,

Just be sure to get the right memory card for you camera. I believe your’s uses xD-Picture cards not compact flash. Check the manual to be sure.

Bob
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 21, 2003
Jodi, your images look way better when the sun is present. In a slightly area they are perfect……??????
I know you are extremely talented, but didnot realise you were even able to improve perfection. πŸ˜‰

When "playing around" first try out the aperture priority mode. This is the setting most professionals prefer as it gives you control over your depth of field. Check what over- and underexposure does to your image. My camera is always at -0.5 as this helps me prevent burned out highlights. Run a number of test series of the same subject in the same lighting conditions and under various lighting conditions.

Have a nice day, I hope your "hubby" and children will be able to enjoy this day too, as I suppose they will be the subject of your testing. πŸ˜‰

Leen
DS
Dick Smith
Sep 21, 2003
Bert, I’m not sure what the limit is. the chart in the manual shows it up to 512 but there may be some other info that i looked over too quickly. It’s a good manual though. well put together for the idiots like me πŸ˜‰
Jodi, according to the Fuji website, 512mb is the limit. Great picture, Fuji has come a long way from the 6900!

dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 21, 2003
Ok, I’m playing again with the new S5000. I cropped this one a bit, took the leash out and added a filter. This is my mugly doggy. I’m still shooting in JPEG.

take a looksy <http://www.mybizz.net/l/w/lwsfrye/milo.jpg>

Dick, yupper, 512, I found that info while looking over the manual with a fine tooth comb. Should be plenty. Thanks !
R
Ray
Sep 21, 2003
Jodi, is this spedia? πŸ˜‰
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 21, 2003
Ray…need you ask ???? …’cozy’.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 21, 2003
Jodi, amazing – how did you get his nose so flat??!

πŸ˜‰

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 21, 2003
Chuck, ugly isn’t he ?? But he’s a good dog and he’s great with the kids which is all that matters… he’s AKC by the way. πŸ˜‰
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 21, 2003
Jodi…..hmmm…..I think our dog is KFC…

πŸ™‚

Chuck
DH
Dave Hamer
Sep 22, 2003
Jodi

I always thought they said that pets looked liked their owners < big huge grin >. When you were chasing this guy, did he run full speed into a wall < another big huge grin >. Seriously, a very nice looking dog and compliments to his owner for showing us the great photo.

Dave
P
Phosphor
Sep 22, 2003
Guys I am new here so please don’t throw any rocks…Yet. I see the talk about card size, and wonder if any of you are using portable media storage. You dump the card whatever size, and start over with the same card?
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 22, 2003
Bruce, no rocks thrown here…bouquets occasionally, but no rocks!

Mostof the discussion has centered on the in-camera storage cards, which come in a variety of sizes in each type (which is camera-dependent). Many of us have two or more cards, so if we’re out for the day or week and taking lots of pictures, we can fill a card then swap in an empty one. When we get home, we upload the contents of the multiple cards to the computer.

Some people also use portable bulkstorage devices, which may be dedicated hard drives of sorts with battery power, to dump the cards’ contents as an intermediate step before uploading to a home computer. I haven’t heard much about those lately; with the price of in-camera cards at a pretty attractive level right now, it’s hard to justify spending a lot for the intermediate portable storage.

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 22, 2003
Chuck,
I agree, they are pricey. It just seemed to me, that with a pro or serious amateur, taking tons of shots, they might be able to justify the cost. I guess as you said, with the price of cards right now, maybe not. I cruise a good bit and when you are out two or three weeks, you can fill up some cards real easy. Thought I would raise the issue. Here is one of the newest storage devices, very pricey, just for info.

< http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03012801vosonicxdrive2.asp>
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 22, 2003
Bruce, I think it’s a great subject to raise – will be interesting to see if anyone here has some experiences to share with them, including any bargains that might be out there. We might get more ‘nibbles’ if you create a new thread on the subject – do you have time to do that? Thanks!

Chuck
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 22, 2003
Bruce, I just returned from covering a wedding when I read your posting. At this wedding (I’m a fulltime professional photographer)I produced exactly 407 shots, a little over 1.5 Gb.
I don’t even consider using a storage device that is powered by batteries; I think it is too risky. I have a little over 2.5 Gb on cards and this caters for all my needs. With todays prices for storage cards I think it is the cheapest and safest way to go.

My 2 cents.

Leen
P
Phosphor
Sep 22, 2003
Chuck and Leen,
Thanks for your opinions. I did start a new thread on this. The more I think about this, with the prices of cards what they are, I believe you guys are probably right, just get more cards. I am using a Fuji Finepix 3800 BTW.

Thanks,
Bruce
DS
Dick Smith
Sep 22, 2003
< http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03012801vosonicxdrive2.asp>

Bruce, that link has some interesting stuff besides the storage article. Namely an article on a Nkion D100 Underwater Housing.

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections