P
Posted By
Pamturk
Nov 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a jpeg file someone sent me. There is a shadow that they did on the file (it is a logo)

I want to delete the shadow and am having trouble figuring out.

Any help?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Pamturk
Nov 25, 2003
I think the big issue is that they flattened the layers cuz perhaps I could’ve deleted the layers.

I can open in illustrator also but I don’t think that helps me much.

I will see how else they have it.

THanks
Z
zippy2000
Nov 25, 2003
If all else fails, you could recreate (retrace) the logo in Illustrator.
P
Pamturk
Nov 25, 2003
Great idea …. but I have been trying to find the auto trace tool and can’t!

Where is it?

Thanks
Z
zippy2000
Nov 25, 2003
For logos, forget the autotrace option. There is no substitute for old fashion, knuckle grinding, tracing using the vector drawing tools. If you know your way around Illustrator, the logo could be traced inside an hour, depending on the amount of detail.
SG
shecky_greene
Nov 25, 2003
You can get a get ‘head-start’ if you have Flash.

Import the logo file into Flash. Trace Bitmap. Export to Illustrator and clean up there.

At the risk of stirring things up, in some ways (in some instances) this works better than using Streamline.

http://development.gurusnetwork.com/tutorial/paint_to_photo_ morph/1/
P
Phosphor
Nov 25, 2003
AutoTrace is OK if you’re not concerned with dead-perfect accuracy. I, personally, never use it, because it doesn’t provide the quality my clients have come to expect from me.

If I wanted to translate a raster image into a vector-based Impressionistic look, I might think about using some form of AutoTrace.

But, for a logo? NEVER. EVER.
SG
shecky_greene
Nov 25, 2003
If the logo had a good, clean and fairly crisp "foreground" colour and one only wanted to remove the shadow, then don’t you suppose a trace would pull out the foreground colour quite well? Not that it wouldn’t need some finessing, later.

I’ve had great success doing this sort of thing in Flash – far better than Illustrator’s AutoTrace. I’ve tried the same thing with the Streamline trial, but it never worked very well either except as you say for an ‘impressionistic’ look.
P
Pamturk
Nov 25, 2003
Wouldn’t it be much easier if I pleaded for the file, if they still have it, w/the layers.

Wouldn’t the shadow be a layer?
SG
shecky_greene
Nov 25, 2003
Wouldn’t it be much easier if I pleaded for the file, if they still have
it, w/the layers.

Yes.

Wouldn’t the shadow be a layer?

Probably…hopefully.
P
Phosphor
Nov 25, 2003
Shecky…

Unless there’s some secret government raster-to-vector application that we mortals shouldn’t be allowed to even know about, then AutoTrace, in ANY application I’ve ever worked with, is inadequate. I’ve test driven all of them, and not one of them does the job the way I can.

If you use auto-anything, and you have clients that are happy with the work…I’ll tip my tam to a lucky you. Suck their bank accounts dry while they’re still processing synaptic chemicals.
SG
shecky_greene
Nov 25, 2003
….of them does the job the way I can.

Never suggested that the output of auto-anything was the end result. Just part of the process. Personally, I like things that speed up a process…even a little.

If you use auto-anything, and you have clients that are happy with the
work.

Client are happy or unhappy with the end results; not the process.

…I’ll tip may tam to a lucky you.

Huh? Still don’t get your point if you wrote: "I’ll tip my tam to a lucky you."

Suck their bank accounts dry while they’re still processing synaptyic
chemicals.

Ditto this. Are you suggesting some sort of malfeasance, here?
P
Phosphor
Nov 25, 2003
Speed minus quality equals crap.

Nuff said.
SG
shecky_greene
Nov 25, 2003
Speed minus quality equals crap.

As the kids llike to say: "Duh!" Whereas speed PLUS quality does equal crap.
SG
shecky_greene
Nov 25, 2003
Opps. Terrible typo!

As the kids like to say: "Duh!" Whereas speed PLUS quality does NOT equal crap.

Speed plus inaccurate typing does equal crap.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 25, 2003
"Speed Kills"

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections