RH
Posted By
Ronald_Hirsch
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there any where in Photoshop CS, where one can set the boundaries for selecting shadows, midtones, and highlights?

A quick check shows the the dividing lines are roughly set 30% and 70%, using a grayscale, and the SELCT>COLOR RANGE command, and then checking highlights, midtones, and shadows.

It would seem that the new SHADOW-HIGHLIGHT feature has this capability in its activities, but not really available as a selection that could be made into a path.

Ron Hirsch

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 13, 2004
From what I know there is no way to set up a specific highlight or shadow value and create a selection from it. However, you can isolate the highlight and shadow values and create a selection from the highlights and shadows

For Highlights
Control+Alt+~(tilde next to the #1 key on your keyboard)will select the highlight values Control+J will jump them to a new layer

For Shadows
Go back to the background layer or the original layer that you jumped the highlights from Control+Alt+~ (will select highlights)
Control+Shift+I (will invert the selection)
Control+J (will jump the shadow values to a new layer)

I have no idea how to get the midtones however!
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jul 14, 2004
You could use Levels, Curves, or Threshold on those selections (via Quickmask Mode), and then combine them in various ways with Calculations.

Just Curves alone on a selection would give you tons of control.
GA
George_Austin
Jul 14, 2004
Ron,

With the IF…Then…Else command in Filter Factory you can select color values or combinations of color values in different channels within ANY limits you want.

George

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections