GB
Posted By
Guy Burns
Mar 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, it’s not really a shadow. It appears to be a sample of where I OPTION-CLICK. All good and fine and I guess it must be thought of as an improvement, but for me it makes the clone tool unworkable because the ‘shadow’ shadows my clone cursor everywhere, blocking out what’s underneath so I can’t see what I want to select and where I want to clone to.

Q: How do I turn off the shadow?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Mar 24, 2009
In the Clone Source-Panel one can turn off »Show Overlay«.
GB
Guy Burns
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks Christoph. I never would have found such an esoteric option by myself.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Mar 24, 2009
I don’t know if that setting is maintained after restarting though. Maybe You could create a Clone Stamp-Preset.
B
Buko
Mar 24, 2009
this feature is so you can line up the sample point exactly. I have found it to be very handy when lining things up.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 24, 2009
Tool settings are always saved after restart, and this one is no exception.

Yes its a useful feature for certain types of work, but it probably shouldn’t be the default. There should also be a check box in the Options Bar for this, and maybe a keyboard shortcut toggle also. On high res files it slows things down quite a lot.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 24, 2009
There should also be a check box in the Options Bar for this

Errr … there is!

Look further along the Options Bar for the Toggle Button — on the right.
PT
Phil_Taz
Mar 24, 2009
You can temporarily toggle it on with option-shift.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 24, 2009
Ann, that button is for ignoring adjustment layers, he’s talking about a button to disable the clipped overlay

Phil, option+shift only works if you have the overlay option deselected in the clone source panel
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 24, 2009
The button on the Options Bar, opens or closes the Clone Panel (in which you can turn Show Overlay On or Off).
PT
Phil_Taz
Mar 24, 2009
Zeno… yes… that is the answer to the question…
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 25, 2009
I actually didn’t know about the Option Shift shortcut! thanks Zeno. That’s nearly there, but it would still be useful to be able to toggle Show Overlay on or off with a shortcut permanently.
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
Tool settings are always saved after restart

Just to be more specific and clear:

Tool settings are always saved upon an orderly quit of the application.

If the application crashes, tool settings won’t be saved and a restart is not going to create them magically.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections