Posted By
Matthew_I_Hodge
Oct 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew a way in which i could create realistic shadows.

The drop shadow just places them behind upright. If i have a source of light in the image and i add another imgae how can i create a shadow that i can rotate as in corel draw?

Cheers

Matt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Oct 7, 2008
Not sure I understand. You can change the angle to whatever you want in the Layer Styles dialog. If you want different angles on different objects uncheck Global Lighting.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 7, 2008
You can also put the drop shadow on its own layer and skew, rotate, scale, fade, etc, etc.

Right-click on the Drop Shadow in the layers palette and choose Create Layer.
MI
Matthew_I_Hodge
Oct 7, 2008
I cant’t get it to create the shadow as a seperate layer as i can’t right click on the drop shadow option…
P
Phosphor
Oct 7, 2008
In the Layers palette, not the dialog. Or from the main Menu under Layer.

But it probably is not necessary.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 7, 2008
But it probably is not necessary.

No, I was just giving another option.
MI
Matthew_I_Hodge
Oct 7, 2008
My shadows always look as though they are behind the object I want my light source to be behind the object so that my shadow is on the ground coming towards the viewer how do i do this?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 7, 2008
here’s one:

< http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/cast_shadow/cast_shad ow.htm>

just flip the layer the shadow’s on…
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 7, 2008
(google create a shadow photoshop)
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 7, 2008
Nobody reads Post #2!
M
Mylenium
Oct 7, 2008
* lol* True, the bane of all forum activity – skipped posts. 😉 And once more humankind looses a few bytes of knowledge every day.

Mylenium
MI
Matthew_I_Hodge
Oct 7, 2008
I did actually and pointed out that i couldn’t get it to do that…
P
PeterK.
Oct 7, 2008
Why not? We need more info about what you’re trying to do if you want help, because you’re obviously doing something wrong. Once you’ve made your drop shadow from a layer style, there should be no reason why you can’t right click on it to create a layer.
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 8, 2008
Sometimes you just have to draw your own shadows. The drop shadow feature is quick and easy but it’s also really lame when it comes to making realistic looking shadows. Start looking at how real shadows look. It often takes two or more shadow layers to make a realistic looking shadow. Many times you have to build up density close to your object or subject in order to sell it as a shadow. Here’s one I did a few weeks ago for Robert Earl Keen. It was the subtle shadow coming at the camera that adds the believability to the image. For the record, it’s supposed to look like it’s studio lighting outside.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=19eDL0LJuX2UqgJyXQ WChoxfq2TtjE0>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections