Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to shrink a 300KB gif file
to < 50 Kb .

Can you enlighten me ?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Sep 26, 2003
Bryan,

Are you prepared to:

A) Reduce the image dimensions?
B) Reduce the number of frames?
C) Reduce the number of colours?

I suspect to decrease the file size by a factor of 6 you will need to do all
3…..
DM
dave milbut
Sep 27, 2003
don’t you hate how those smileys sneak in there… check out this thread via a browser len.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 27, 2003
Simplify the image. Use repeating horizontal patterns and long runs of a single color. Replacing two unique horizontal pixels with one repeated will save nothing, but replacing about four will.

Watch out for subtle color changes; if you don’t need that subtle gradation, replace it with a single blob of color.

Use the same limited palette in all frames. Each color in the palette is three bytes in the output file–a 256-color GIF will have a 768-byte palette; 16-colors make a 48-byte palette. Anything less than 16-colors may cause problems with antique browsers (none that anybody uses anymore).
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 27, 2003
The other option is to minimize the area of the animation. If only 1/4 of the image needs to be animated, then you can optimize it this way.

But for 300>50, what Len says applies as well.
L
LenHewitt
Sep 29, 2003
Dave,

don’t you hate how those smileys sneak in there<<

I do indeed! (But I’ve fooled the bugger now!)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections