P
Posted By
Peter
Feb 14, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS3 but all versions before that have the same issue.

There is no apparent way to make the stupid program maintain the most recent preference.

For example, I save an edited Jpeg in med quality and in c:\temp. But every time I try to save a file, the stupid program offers me High quality and some other directory.

Another example is resizing images. I often resize images to 8" wide, 72dpi. The stupid program always offers cm not inches in the menu.

Yet, seemingly randomly, it remembers some settings I used. I just never worked out the rules according to which it makes those decisions. Why isn’t there some simple config for these defaults?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
Lazarus
Feb 14, 2011
I don’t seem to be afflicted with the problem you describe. This PS7 appears to retain last used. If the last used directory (file or file folder) is deleted, the PS does default to a parent directory. But that’s as expected.

This isn’t probably related to your problem, but you could try:

(from menu bar) Window > Workspace > Save Workspace

This does retain the way PS tools/pallets are organized & displayed. Maybe creating a preference profile like this helps in other ways as well.

————-
"Peter" wrote:

There is no apparent way to make the stupid program maintain the most recent preference.

For example, I save an edited Jpeg in med quality and in c:\temp. But every time I try to save a file, the stupid program offers me High quality and some other directory.

Another example is resizing images. I often resize images to 8" wide, 72dpi. The stupid program always offers cm not inches in the menu.

Yet, seemingly randomly, it remembers some settings I used. I just never worked out the rules according to which it makes those decisions. Why isn’t there some simple config for these defaults?
P
Peter
Feb 18, 2011
It doesn’t work here.

Let’s say I want to change image size to 8" and 72dpi.

I do that. CS3 offers cm as the units so I change that to inches.

But it offers cm every time I do this.

"Kele" wrote

I don’t seem to be afflicted with the problem you describe. This PS7 appears to retain last used. If the last used directory (file or file folder) is deleted, the PS does default to a parent directory. But that’s as expected.

This does retain the way PS tools/pallets are organized & displayed. Maybe creating a preference profile like this helps in other ways as well.

————-
"Peter" wrote:

R
Rob
Feb 18, 2011
Have you tried Preferences – Units and Rulers?

On 18/02/2011 8:11 PM, Peter wrote:
It doesn’t work here.

"Kele" wrote

(from menu bar) Window> Workspace> Save Workspace
This does retain the way PS tools/pallets are organized& displayed. Maybe creating a preference profile like this helps in other ways as well.

————-
"Peter" wrote:

P
Peter
Feb 18, 2011
Rob wrote:

Have you tried Preferences – Units and Rulers?
Yes, but there is no apparently related config there.

In Photoshop 7 there was a config for inches/cm but CS3 doesn’t have it.

CS3 is currently set for pixels/points in Preferences but still offers cm.

The other, much more time-consuming, hassle is when saving files. With jpeg saves, there are various settings which PS can offer e.g. the image quality, and the directory to save to. PS7 used to save these settings but CS3 usually doesn’t so if you have edited 10 images and want to save them to a specific directory, you have to re-select the image quality and the whole directory path each time.

It’s basically a stupid program (a general lack of configuration options) but it’s not the only one. Premiere Elements does the same things. No way to make it save mpegs in c:\videos every time. Always wants to go into Docs and Settings\…etc\…etc\My Movies.

On 18/02/2011 8:11 PM, Peter wrote:
It doesn’t work here.

"Kele" wrote

(from menu bar) Window> Workspace> Save Workspace
This does retain the way PS tools/pallets are organized& displayed. Maybe creating a preference profile like this helps in other ways as well.

————-
"Peter" wrote:

F
fillyflash
Feb 18, 2011
go to ediit/preferences and change your units to inches. (pixels is the prefered unit by most users)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:11:46 +0000, Peter
wrote:

It doesn’t work here.

"Kele" wrote

————-
"Peter" wrote:

J
jaSPAMc
Feb 18, 2011
Peter found these unused words:

Right, that’s adobe’s way. They do the same with their other programs. Always their choice! Premier is especially bad in this, always defaults to ‘install’ directory.

It takes those from the jpeg you opened.

Edit ‘Preferences’

Edit ‘Preferences’,
…. except for file location – that will either be the install default or the location of the opened file. Anything else and you’ll have to track through the menus to get to your directory.

They haven’t learned that people like to work -=their=- way, not that of the programmer.
P
Peter
Feb 18, 2011
Sir F. A. Rien wrote

Peter found these unused words:

Right, that’s adobe’s way. They do the same with their other programs. Always their choice! Premier is especially bad in this, always defaults to ‘install’ directory.

Glad you agree 🙂

It takes those from the jpeg you opened.

How can it take the image-save quality from the opened file?

I can see it might do it with the open-file directory…

Edit ‘Preferences’

OK, thanks, I found that.

Edit ‘Preferences’,
… except for file location – that will either be the install default or the location of the opened file. Anything else and you’ll have to track through the menus to get to your directory.

They haven’t learned that people like to work -=their=- way, not that of the programmer.

That’s how it seemed to me.

The last thing I wonder about is where it gets the jpeg save file image quality from… It certainly does not get it from the last saved file. Unless there is some funny interaction between the last-saved file and whether it was saved into the same directory as the previous one…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections