Extract tool is gone – what’s the best tool to use now ?

DZ
Posted By
David_Zeno
Jan 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone,

for those who extract subjects from backgrounds on a regular basis, what tool do you now using, seeing the Extract tool is gone in CS4 ?

Thanks you for tips,

Dave.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

FA
Frank Arthur
Jan 26, 2009
wrote in message
Hello everyone,

for those who extract subjects from backgrounds on a regular basis, what tool do you now using, seeing the Extract tool is gone in CS4 ?
Thanks you for tips,

Dave.

Copy it from CS3 and transfer it to CS4
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 26, 2009
Magic eraser?
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 26, 2009
Mask?
DS
Dennis_S
Jan 26, 2009
Quick Select tool works well for many cases. Secret is to use small brush size and mark both the selected areas (with the + tool) and the non-selected areas (with the – tool).

If you can’t find something that satisfies you, you can install Extract from the CS4 Extras. This will be on your PS install disk or in the Extras you downloaded if you purchased and downloaded online.

If you still can’t find it, Russell Brown has the extra files on his site. There are also good tutorials for just about any extract/masking/knockout method you can think of.

<http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html#CS4Tips>
P
Phosphor
Jan 27, 2009
Never used the Extract thing because it either sucked or I didn’t understand it well.

Considering how much time I experimented with it, and compared to how well I’m able to isolate selections with more conventional tools B.E. (read: Before Extract), I have to conclude that it sucks.

🙂
JM
John_Mensinger
Jan 27, 2009
Considering how much time I experimented with it, and compared to how well I’m able to isolate selections with more conventional tools B.E. (read: Before Extract), I have to conclude that it sucks.

True. Channel-Ops, Pen Tool, Polygonal Lasso, Layer Masks, and other techniques/combinations rendered Extract inferior prior to its existence. In fact, on the rare occasions when I used Extract, I only used it as a step in initiating a layer mask. I think it was supposed to be Photoshop’s answer to Knockout…a Knockout knockoff, as it were. I didn’t even know it was gone.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 27, 2009
I never used an extraction tool in production because they required more work than doing it other ways. The extract tool sucked as do the ‘Knock-out’ apps.
P
Phosphor
Jan 27, 2009
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Jan 28, 2009
You can still use Extract in CS4. Copy the ExtractPlus.8BF file from a previous version of Photoshop and put it in the Plug-ins/filters folder.
Geoff
JW
John_Waller
Jan 28, 2009
seeing the Extract tool is gone in CS4 ?

It’s not permanently retired yet.

You can download it as an optional plug-in here:
Win http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4048 Mac http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4047

See also John Nack’s discussion:
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/10/where_did_extra.html

Regards

John Waller
Mar 1, 2009
Phos±four dots – said: "Never used the Extract thing because it either sucked or I didn’t understand it well."

Seems to me that the problem was that you did not understand WHEN to use it.

I’ve once extracted a Dandelion seed head with the extraction tool and everybody thought I had used some incredible third party tool, but actually the whole reason why I posted the image was to show people that I could do the same extraction better in Photoshop than the one done with Fluidmask.
S
SDA
Mar 1, 2009
@John Waller Am I correct in assuming that ‘extractPlus’ is only available for 32bit mode ?

@M.Barnes Agree that the filter ‘extract’ in versions < PSCS4 was an excellent tool. Like anything good, it took a little time and effort to use well.

Cheers
PZ
Ping Zheng
Mar 2, 2009
ExtractPlus can also use on 64bit, please notice that there are both 32bit and 64bit in the plug-in folder
S
SDA
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks Ping.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections