P
Posted By
Pmm
Sep 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having a bit of an issue with my scratch disks. Photoshop, upon opening, displays the dreaded "Scratch disk almost full/scratch disk preferences" error, often followed by photoshop trying to open the document, then erroring out, (error 36, i believe), saying that the scratch disk is full.

I was not having these problems until installed a trial version of the latest version of Norton Antivirus and ran it’s "Full system scan". Before then, I was error free. Logic would say uninstall Norton, but, for the time being, that isn’t possible, (compay requirements). Have tried deleting any .tmp files and deleting my photoshop prefs, neither seems to work.

Am running Windows XP, 3 ghz Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of RAM, with 64 empty gigs on the harddrive, (of 80 gigs total). Scratch disk set to C:, my one and only harddrive.

any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 17, 2003
See this thread

Chris Cox "ERROR "36" OR "1" …SCRATCH DISC ..IRRECOVERABLE." 9/14/03
4:42pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/2>
P
Pmm
Sep 17, 2003
Thanks for the reply, but I’m afraid that’s not the issue. No harddrive problems, nor any warnings. Norton returns no errors on disk check, nor does Windows Error check. Drive behaves normally in all circumstances.

any other ideas?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 17, 2003
No harddrive problems, nor any warnings

Do a google search on error 36. Sumpin ain’t right in Denmark.

What happens if you temporarily disable, not uninstall, NAV?
P
Pmm
Sep 17, 2003
After a bit of frustration, i went ahead and uninstalled Norton, as well as deleted any .tmp files in my Temp directory, and photoshop seems to be purring now. Will wait and see if that truely fixed it. (which i find odd, as i know of many circumstances with Photoshop and Norton running happily, hand in hand).
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Sep 17, 2003
Have you checked with Norton people?
EI
Enrique Ivern
Sep 17, 2003
When PS ends normally, scratch disk is cleared. But if you have an abnormal end, such as in a Win crash, scratch disk retains garbage. Eventually you end with no space.
If you have a Win abnormal end be sure to empty your scratch disk manually and you should have no problem.
P
Pmm
Sep 17, 2003
Yeah, after uninstalling Norton, i’ve yet to have problems again. I cleared my Temp folder again, just for kicks, as well, and plan on reinstalling Norton to see if that was indeed the issue. if it starts bringing up errors again, i think i’ll have my culprit.
WK
William Kazak
Oct 20, 2003
Is Norton on the same drive as scratchdisc? If so, change that. Why not add another partition to your HD? Why not add an extra HD, as well?
AV
A_V_Ferrara
Nov 16, 2003
I am a beginer & still trying to use & understand P.S.6.2.2-> I would like to know how to empty scratch disk in which an error notice -36 tells me disk is full. Is there some place to read up on this, or learn the steps necessary to purge it? "Edit" menu pulldown "Purge" sellection is grayed out. Am using 1999- Mac G-4/512 megs/. I have taken all photos out of the G-4.,but no help.–> Is this idea possible??-> I also have a Lacie 2.5 gig HD that can be scuzzied up to mac G-4. What about putting/installing P.S.6.2.2 program into it to use it there?? Thank in advance.-> AVF
L
LenHewitt
Nov 17, 2003
It might be better to post in Photoshop_Mac forum…..

You’re amongst the Windows users here

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections