AR
Posted By
Andy_Rak
Jul 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have several stations set up globally in various offices using Photoshop CS…

Image files, no matter how small the file is… even a single small JPG takes a good 10-15 seconds to open (win xp) and we frequently need to work with hundreds of images. This seems to be a major problem and from what I find on Google, not uncommon…

I finally ran into this temporary ‘fix’ in the archives which involves setting up a LOCAL printer/driver as a DEFAULT…

While that DID alleviate that problem, I can’t see that adobe is just letting this be THE fix for the problem… I’ve done updates to our CS3 products and have a difficult time believing that there is no permanent fix for this yet.

It seems unlike adobe to expect so many clients to have to experience this problem, spending hours or days trying to figure out why their systems have slowed down and asking themselves questions mostly unrelated to the problem, such as ‘did i run out of swap space on my drive?’, ‘how are my history/cache settings?’, ‘is there some network drive causing the problem?’, ‘Is there some spyware slowing my box?’, etc…

And on top of that having to notify all the offices… ‘Okay guys, if you use photoshop you need to do this, this, and that… temporarily’

Please tell me there is a permanent fix soon…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 16, 2008
While that DID alleviate that problem, I can’t see that adobe is just letting this be THE fix for the problem… I’ve done updates to our CS3 products and have a difficult time believing that there is no permanent fix for this yet.

i’m guessing as they’re probably in the final throes of building cs4, that’s where the fix will be.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 16, 2008
I remember when Adobe were concerned about their customers’ experience, rather than just selling half-finished software and rushing off to prepare the bunch of bells and whistles for the next version, rather than patching up their mistakes!

It has been suggested that there should be a version number upgrade with no added features but just corrected bugs!
T
tom
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks to Andy Rak for starting this thread – I was experiencing the same behavior and found that the local printer fix does work, but what a hack! This is Adobe’s flagship product (one of them anyway) and they shipped it like this? Holy &*$^&(@@!!
AR
Andy_Rak
Jul 18, 2008
I’m thinking that with all the businesses, many of which have significant corporate licenses for adobe products such as this in use internationally… most if not all the them using networked, not local, printers…

How can they NOT address this… Is it such an obscure issue that they hope customers will simply give up and deal with that unbearable delay?

We (where I work) have been pulling our hair out trying to figure out this issue, thinking it was a hardware problem, and apparently, so has a vast community (many of whom haven’t even found this ‘fix’…

Adobe should address this topic in an official capacity… This IS their forum after all… Their ‘fix’ was adequate for a short term, but it should also have addressed a timetable for its permanent fix.

Adobe *knock* *knock*… anyone home?
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 18, 2008
Adobe *knock* *knock*… anyone home?

They don’t live here Andy. And, although some of the engineers used to give help and advice from time to time, it appears that the suits have warned them off fraternising with the mere customers.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 22, 2008
The problem with a networked printer, is that Photoshop needs to contact the printer to get its specs. By setting up a "generic default" printer, the specs are not accessed over the network, any longer, hence no delay. Adobe really cannot speed up a user’s network, though maybe a cache for default networked printers could be implemented.

On my Gigabit LAN, it was no problem, but my network is tiny. The time to Open the file was hardly noticable, but the lag disappeared completely, with a local printer selected, even if I was going to print on a networked one.

The "fix" is not really a hack, as it just speeds up the process of having to go onto the network. Now, it *should* be in a Read_Me file, or included in the StartUp/Installation quick manual. Maybe it’s there, but I’ve been installing PS for so many years, that I do not do a good job of reading these things anymore – note to self: read them more closely, plus any Read_Me files.

Hunt
AR
Andy_Rak
Jul 22, 2008
I don’t know which versions of photoshop need to check/contact the network printer…

For volumes of image processing via the batch commands I often need to use our old Photoshop 6 which, even with the network (a fairly large corporate network) the files open up almost instantly… every time… unless they’re huge print resolution images…

On the same network for such a task (batching hundreds of images) PS CS3 is unuseable to us unless we implement the local printer ‘fix’… and even so, there is more of a delay than with our old photoshop…

And why does it need to contact the printer for each file that is opened? For the first one, sure… check it, done… I’m not printing dammit, just opening files.

If it needs printer information the local OS already has drivers loaded up, couldn’t it check those? It shouldn’t have to look for other network devices on there unless it’s using them… but I’m no tech… so there must be a reason that it simply MUST do it…

And even so… why is this ‘fix’ so damn hard to find on the net? Tons of people with issues and a lone, difficult-to-find blurb as an obscure fix…?
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 22, 2008
I suspect Bonjour.
T
tom
Jul 23, 2008
I have to ask: Is ANYONE at Adobe working on a fix for this? Is ANYONE at Adobe even monitoring these forums? These are your customers, people!!!
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2008
Thomas these are user to user forums if you want to speak with Adobe you need to call them. If you just want them to know there is a problem submit a bug report.

Since its already been mentioned that Adobe people don’t frequent the forums asking "Is ANYONE at Adobe even monitoring these forums?" doesn’t portray you as someone who is very bright.
T
tom
Jul 23, 2008
Hey Buko, since you are an expert on all things Adobe, how do I report an inappropriate poster to them? According to their forum guidelines: "Personal attacks and insults are never appropriate."
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 23, 2008
Save it for the lounge, Buko.

Bob
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2008
Hey Thomas "The Forum Comments" Wow did someone personally attack you? that’s not right. Or did someone point out how ludicrous your question was?
AR
Andy_Rak
Jul 23, 2008
Well, I’m no genius, but I feel I’m fairly average in the intellectual assets department…

However, it was still a stone pain the behind just to find this… Maybe the purpose of the user to user forum was to let people vent… and I guess this question has come up enough to have it end up buried in the FAQ…

I’m working on getting a direct answer from a warm body there and I’m sure there will be some ‘talk around the issue’… but we’ll see… I still have *some* hope of a permanent fix before the next full upgrade.

It’s just very frustrating… Be honest… how many average users would have identified ANY association between file access delay and a default network printer…
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 23, 2008
Keep it on topic, please.

Bob
BC
Bart_Cross
Jul 23, 2008
The point with Adobe products is that the marketing people want ‘eye candy’ to increase sales, this problem is not ‘eye candy’. This is also true for Photoshop’s inability to use multi-procs efficiently. The engineers can do it, but they are told what to focus on.

I am hoping that CS4 will solve a lot of these issues because it will have to be re-written for 64-bit and hopefully the engineers can slide these in as being ‘necessary’.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2008
I am hoping that CS4 will solve a lot of these issues

didn’t nack say that cs4 would focus primarily on eye candy (interface) with not much in the way of new features? i’m pretty sure he did in one of his blogs.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 23, 2008
64 bit doesn’t qualify as just eye candy to me.

Of course for someone stuck in that 32 bit world of yours it’s sort of moot. <g>

Bob
J
jcates
Jul 23, 2008
If the features work, bugs are minimal, can access multiple cores and more RAM, that’d be good enough for me; I’ll make my own eye candy.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jul 23, 2008
I wasn’t talking about new features as much as improving existing ones, not necessarily because it is 64-bit but, while the code is being re-written, they can improve on ‘under-the-hood’ stuff.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2008
I hope that’s the case.
J
jcates
Jul 23, 2008
I wasn’t talking about new features

Neither was I.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections