Posted By
Kyrre_Nyg
May 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!

I have a few designs I’ve done here, all in different colors.

How do I make everything (except their white backgrounds) black?

Thanks,
Kyrre

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

I
ID._Awe
May 9, 2008
Convert to grayscale.
DM
dave_milbut
May 9, 2008
choose a channel from the channels menu and work with that.

image> adjustments> threshold.
image> adjustments> channel mixer – select greyscale. in cs3 there’s a convert to greyscale tool.

or as id says: image> mode> grayscale.
KN
Kyrre_Nyg
May 9, 2008
much obliged gentlemen!

but once i get it grey, how do i make it pure black?
I
ID._Awe
May 9, 2008
Use levels or curves dialog box and select the lighter pixels using the black eyedropper.
DM
dave_milbut
May 9, 2008
or use threshold!
May 10, 2008
you could just use the Magic Wand, de-selecting the "Contiguous" option, to click in the white you want to keep. you may have to reduce the tolerance and try the selection over if it does not get enough of. If it gets areas that you want turned black, clean up the selection with the lasso tool or whatever selection tool works the best for you.
once the selection is made, use the Select->Inverse menu option (CTRL+SHIFT+I). now, use the Layer->New Fill Layer..>Solid Color menu option click OK on the default options, and then choose the color (black, for instance) that you want to fill this selection.

HTH
GS
gladys_saan
May 12, 2008
convert file into cmyk then go to image/adjustments/hue and saturation. check colorize and then set the hue and saturation to 0.
after doing this, check channels and you’ll see that only black will remains.
JM
Jonas_M._Rogne
May 13, 2008
Show us the image in question? If it’s an image with 100% white background and an object in the middle, then you have what you need now.
This is what i would do:

Non-destructively:
Adjustment layer -> hue/saturation: saturation = 0
Adjustment layer -> curves (or levels)
Move black point inwards until what you want black is black. Move white point inwards as well if the background wasn’t 100% white.
If any white points inside the object remains: add new layer, paint with a black brush.

Destructively:
Image->Adjustments->desaturate
Image->Adjustments->curves (or levels)
Move black point inwards until what you want black is black. Move white point inwards as well if the background wasn’t 100% white.
If any white points inside the object remains: paint with a black brush.

Comment to other solutions:
* ** Ignore the suggestion by gladys saan (no need to convert to cmyk). It will basically leave you with a similar result as simply converting to greyscale…
* ** Fred M. Stevens suggestion will create very ugly edges as it is the "magic" wand… * ** Dave milbut: Don’t use threshold unless you want a 1-bit result (without any anti-aliasing)… You might get away with it if you have a VERY high resolution image…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections