You are not allowed to continue because your account does not have the proper privileges.

AD
Posted By
Ajay_Dhunna
Apr 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just installed Adobe Photoshop CS2 on my Windows Vista Home Laptop.

When I try to run it, I get a message in a window titled "Adobe Activation" saying: "You are not allowed to continue because your account does not have the proper privileges. Please log in using an account with administrator privileges and try again."

I am logged in as an administrator and have installed all my applications using the same login. Though the version I have installed is not yet registered, I am unable to even get to the registation screen as once you click OK on the dialogue, Adobe Photoshop closes.

Could you please advise how I can get round this without opening up any security loop holes?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Apr 18, 2008
Windows Vista Home Laptop.

If it’s Home basic, you’ll need to upgrade to Home Premium.

Bob
AD
Ajay_Dhunna
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks for your reponse Bob. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium.
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 18, 2008
Turn off UAC and try again. If that doesn’t work try creating a new user account and use that.

Bob
AD
Ajay_Dhunna
Apr 18, 2008
Bob. Turning off UAC would open me to many security threats. So this would probably not be a suitable solution.

Creating another account would not be practical as all my other applications run under my current account.

Ajay
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 18, 2008
UAC is an intrusive PITA that I turned off and left off. If you really feel it needs to be on, then turn it off to activate and then turn it back on.

If that doesn’t work, then you really need to try creating a new account.

Bob
AD
Ajay_Dhunna
Apr 18, 2008
Though this seems to work I’m not convinced turning off UAC is the best solution. But thanks for your help in this anyway Bob as at least it will get me going for now.

ps. For those who want to know how to turn UAC off, please refer to

< http://www.askjaganything.com/ans.asp?i=2116&q=How_do_I_ disable_UAC_(User_Account_Control)_in_Windows_Vista>?
G
gowanoh
Apr 19, 2008
You are misinformed about UAC.
UAC does nothing except issue a generic text warning box that comes on before every new disc access operation. It does not evaluate whether or not there really is a threat or give any information about what that threat may be. All UAC does is try to legally transfer the onus to you, instead of Microsoft where it belongs, for any problems caused by using your computer. Turning off UAC does nothing with regard to actual computer security. UAC only slows down the use of Vista, which even with SP1 remains time by your wristwatch slower than XP for nearly all computer operations because UAC forces you to read and click through an absolutely useless warning screen. The problem you have is common in Vista installations because of the screwed up way Vista implements administrator versus other user rights. If you have not already done so try right clicking on the CS3 icon and choose "run as administrator."
If that does not work then you will have to contact Microsoft. They actually respond to emails about this issue. Alas I have not found their suggestions helpful. Reinstalling Vista and paying careful attention to passwords and other issues (don’t use any) may correct the problem. Then you will have to reactivate Vista, probably by begging someone in the Indian call center for a new code.
JT
John_T_Smith
Apr 21, 2008
installed Adobe Photoshop CS2 on my Windows Vista

I thought Vista support was added with version CS3?
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 21, 2008
You should be able to just right click on the CS2 icon and choose ‘run as administrator’ the first time to activate it and then run normally after that. I ran CS2 on Vista for a while and that’s what I did, leaving UAC on IIRC. —
Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
I
ID._Awe
Apr 21, 2008
I run CS2 with Vista 64bit without any problems. UAC isn’t worth the hassle.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 21, 2008
How do you stop it nagging you when it’s turned off?
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 21, 2008
UAC goes mostly unnoticed unless you are constantly installing software or modifying your registry.

Charlie…
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 21, 2008
It goes even more unnoticed with it turned off. 🙂

Bob
I
ID._Awe
Apr 21, 2008
JJ: Uhhhhhhh wat? By the way, how’s your Vista experience turning out?
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 21, 2008
I run my Linux box as root, but that doesn’t mean I’d recommend it for everyone. 😉 I had UAC off for a while but finally turned it back on because I found the warning that UAC was off more annoying than the infrequent pop ups. 🙂 —
Charlie…
RM
Rick Moore
Apr 21, 2008
I believe it was in the Security Center, something about how Alerts are handled.
BTW, I’ll be joining you boys in the Vista64 8GB RAM crowd when my parts arrive this week. Woohooo!
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 21, 2008
By the way, how’s your Vista experience turning out?

So far I like it. It took a couple of days to get used to the Explorer interface and customise it. The search function is pretty impressive too! Time has been short since it arrived because I was away for a few days. I haven’t done any serious work on it yet because the Eizo monitor hasn’t been moved across from the old one. I want to do a few comparative tests too.

(BTW, I found how you turn off that red shield in the notification area.)
I
ID._Awe
Apr 22, 2008
Charlie: You can turn off the warnings, in the Security Center, click the ‘Change the way Security Center alerts me’ and select the third option.
JT
John_T_Smith
Sep 9, 2008
Since this is a USER TO USER forum, not Adobe support, and as the only way another user could reply is if they had that EXACT problem and also had a solution, you may need to contact Adobe for help, or to report problems or ask for new features directly at Adobe, click <http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>

In the US – Adobe General support 800-833-6687
In the US – Adobe Install Problems 800-642-3623

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections