JH
Posted By
John_Horne
Mar 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running CS3PRO – WIN XPsp2 on a Dell6400 – 2G Ram and lots of disk space. I’ve got all the latest patches for XP & CS3. I open a 20kb jpg image. Select the text tool, draw and area then the screen blinks, all the menues are gone and I get the not responding message. I’ve tried closing all other apps including anti virus and firwalls. Anyone else have this issue and/or know of a fix? Not sure if it happens in other CS3 Apps? I really on ly use DW and PS. still learning all the other stuff. Don’t really know anything about video/graphic cards but I ordered the Dell with CS3 Installed so I assume it’s suppose to work? Not sure is this is the best forum to post this question?

Thanks
John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

S
Silkrooster
Mar 18, 2008
First thing is don’t assume. Just gets you into trouble. I know I do it all the time. lol. Second test out other images see if they load fine its possible the jpg file is corrupt. Third post the jpg here see if anybody else has problems with the image. Silk
G
gowanoh
Mar 18, 2008
Computer freezes can have multiple causes.
Video drivers are often blamed for what you describe and it is not difficult to download the latest drivers and reinstall them.
It is not clear from your posting if this only happens in Photoshop, if it only happens with one specific jpg file (which could be corrupt), if you are able to terminate PS or if you have to restart the computer.
CY
curt_young
Mar 19, 2008
Is that a 20k or 20 meg file? A 20 k file is like a thumbnail and should not cause any problems even if video card is undersized. I sometimes have a freeze problem with 1.3 meg files when I want to layer the 2 images. My video card has only 128 mb of memory and think that is the problem.
JH
John_Horne
Mar 19, 2008
The file is indeed only 20KB I used it as example only. The freeze occurs regularly on virtually any file and/or during any process. It’s just that I typically do load an image and modify it for the web. I basically use PS for creating web ready images. I don’t do or know how to do any advanced image/layout features. I suspect that once the freeze occurs the file may be corrupt because once it happens (freezes) it will happen (freeze) consistently during the same operation. In my original example I use a screen capture tool (Techsmith SnagIt) to capture something and save it as a jpg. I then open the jpg in PS erase an area of the image that has text on it, use the text tool to select the region I just erased so that I can type new text. I can select the region but that is as far as I get. PS blinks and I’m locked up.

I’ve been thinking of a re-install but that is a scary thought because I always have difficulty doing a truly clean uninstall and all the patches and updates will have to be reapplied…yuk
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 19, 2008
Before you uninstall:

Reset your preferences as described in the FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

If that doesn’t help, first try a repair install of Photoshop.
JH
John_Horne
Mar 19, 2008
John
Deleting the PSP File seems to have worked!! I was able to call up the file, and edit it as described in my posts. Thanks so much.
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 19, 2008
Glad to hear it!
JH
John_Horne
Mar 19, 2008
John
Actually I spoke too soon. I can open/create edit it but after a few edits the same freeze issue occurs and/or when I shut down PS I get the not responding message and the only way I get PS back is to delete the PSP file and start again, works for a bit then the freeze and/or not responding on close happens again. Oh well. I’ll deal with it like this until I can’t take it anymore then I’ll try a re-install. I’m guessing my computer is not really up to the standards PS needs to run?
Thanks John
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 19, 2008
I’m guessing my computer is not really up to the standards PS needs to run?

The hardware is perfectly adequate. There must be something dodgy on your system though.

You could try a registry cleaner like Registry Mechanic or a repair install of PS – or even a repair install of Windows.
JH
John_Horne
Mar 19, 2008
Interstingly I tried accessing the PS via Bridge and it has yet to freeze. At least it’s let me go in and out of PS to edit the file 3 times so far. I misspoke abut my computer memory. I only have 1G. I’ve ordered a 2G upgrade to see if that helps. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections