Changing <what> Windows <thinks is> monitor ppi.

JL
Posted By
J Leonard
Feb 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My laptop has an 11.8" wide screen. At a horizontal resolution of 1280, that gives ~108 ppi. The vertical ppi works out to ~106. Vista recognizes the monitor as "default monitor" which works well enough for most purposes. PC Wizard 2008 reveals that the monitor is a SAMSUNG SEC4942. I have tried to find drivers for this monitor or its equivalent but haven’t succeeded.
Photoshop Elements reports screen ppi as 72 and its print size calculations are off accordingly. I would like to know what I could do to correct this. I think it would either amount to updating the display driver with something more specific, changing something in Vista or else making a change somewhere in Elements settings. Anyone know how to deal with this problem?
John L.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
surfer
Feb 5, 2009
In message
, J
Leonard writes
Photoshop Elements reports screen ppi as 72 and its print size calculations are off accordingly.

72dpi was assumed to be the screen resolution many years ago and has sort of stuck. What are you trying to do? Remember that when an image is displayed in a web page, for example, the dpi in it is completely ignored. Remember also that different screens have different dpi so what works on one screen (for whatever you are doing) may well not work on another.

Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections