J
Posted By
Janice
Jul 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have had Photoshop Elements 2.0 installed on a Windows XP system for a year now. Until today it has worked fine. Now suddenly when I run it I get an error message at program startup saying that the currently selected scratch disks are almost full. I only have one hard drive, and it has 128 GB free so it is definitely not full. The system has a 3 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 1 GB of RAM so it exceeds the minimum requirements for the program. The files I work with are very small, below 1 MB in size.

Defragging the hard drive did not help and chkdsk did not find any errors on it. I’ve tried renaming the Photoshop Elements preferences file and even the entire preferences folder and letting them be recreated but that did nothing to help. Clearing the system temp folder doesn’t help either. Photoshop Elements creates a 340 MB .tmp file in the temp folder at startup and this always is deleted automatically on exit. I haven’t installed any new software since the last time the program ran correctly, which was within the last couple of days.

Any suggestions besides adding another hard drive? I’m only a casual user of the program and that’s more trouble and expense than I’m willing to go to since what I have was perfectly adequate until today. Other graphics programs that I have installed such as Paintshop Pro aren’t giving me any problems.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RG
Roy G
Jul 4, 2006
"Janice" wrote in message
I have had Photoshop Elements 2.0 installed on a Windows XP system for a year now. Until today it has worked fine. Now suddenly when I run it I get an error message at program startup saying that the currently selected scratch disks are almost full. I only have one hard drive, and it has 128 GB free so it is definitely not full. The system has a 3 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 1 GB of RAM so it exceeds the minimum requirements for the program. The files I work with are very small, below 1 MB in size.

Defragging the hard drive did not help and chkdsk did not find any errors on it. I’ve tried renaming the Photoshop Elements preferences file and even the entire preferences folder and letting them be recreated but that did nothing to help. Clearing the system temp folder doesn’t help either. Photoshop Elements creates a 340 MB .tmp file in the temp folder at startup and this always is deleted automatically on exit. I haven’t installed any new software since the last time the program ran correctly, which was within the last couple of days.
Any suggestions besides adding another hard drive? I’m only a casual user of the program and that’s more trouble and expense than I’m willing to go to since what I have was perfectly adequate until today. Other graphics programs that I have installed such as Paintshop Pro aren’t giving me any problems.

Hi.

Don’t know for certain, but have you checked in Elements "Preferences" which HDD is selected as First Scratch Disc. In your case it should be "C", or whatever your main drive is called.

It could be that if your machine is Shop Bought it might have a Restore Partition for re-installing your Operating System, and perhaps Elements is trying to use this as its Scratch Disc. That Partition might, only might, show up in My Computer as "Restore D:" or similar.

Roy G
J
Janice
Jul 4, 2006
On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 15:31:12 GMT, Roy G wrote:

"Janice" wrote in message
I have had Photoshop Elements 2.0 installed on a Windows XP system for a year now. Until today it has worked fine. Now suddenly when I run it I get an error message at program startup saying that the currently selected scratch disks are almost full. I only have one hard drive, and it has 128 GB free so it is definitely not full.

{snipped}
Hi.

Don’t know for certain, but have you checked in Elements "Preferences" which HDD is selected as First Scratch Disc. In your case it should be "C", or whatever your main drive is called.

It could be that if your machine is Shop Bought it might have a Restore Partition for re-installing your Operating System, and perhaps Elements is trying to use this as its Scratch Disc. That Partition might, only might, show up in My Computer as "Restore D:" or similar.
Roy G

Hi, there is a hidden restore partition but the only choices for scratch disk in Preferences are Startup and C: The error message appears no matter which of those I select.

The message mysteriously stopped appearing for awhile last night, then it came back again the next time I turned on the computer and tried the program.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections