D
Posted By
d23
Apr 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Those keychain sized flash drives are being sold for less and less. Since they are all electronic–no moving parts– shouldn’t they be faster than a regular hard drive? Shouldin’t I be able to use one (pluged into a USB 2 port) as the scratch disk and gain some speed?
Thanks in advance.
Charles Portland OR

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
SpaceGirl
Apr 8, 2005
d23 wrote:
Those keychain sized flash drives are being sold for less and less. Since they are all electronic–no moving parts– shouldn’t they be faster than a regular hard drive? Shouldin’t I be able to use one (pluged into a USB 2 port) as the scratch disk and gain some speed?
Thanks in advance.
Charles Portland OR

You’d think so, but no. Take a compactFlash memory card for example. Single speed is 150kb/ps. Only the really high-speed stuff (60x or faster) even comes close to hard-disk speed, and even then they have no cache or queing so the write speed is only really relevant to linea stuff (such as photos). Random access is very slow.

I have some 66x CF memory in my Canon Digital Rebel camera to runs about 9,500kb/ps on reads, and 8,000kb/ps while writing. The hard drive in this computer runs at 244,000kb/ps on read and write. As you can see, quite a difference!

You then have to look at the BUS speed – USB 2.0 is limited to 2mbit I think – that’s not even as fast as some broadband internet these days. You wouldn’t want to write your scratch files at internet speed 🙂

Solid state memory is the way to go, but we’re not quite there yet. The average hard disk is 10 times faster than a fast memory stick.

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
# remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
D
d23
Apr 8, 2005
Thanks spacegirl! Charles

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections