T
Posted By
TammyJ
Aug 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason, I can’t crop! I get a pop-up window saying "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full". I have tried the Edit > Purge with no luck. The file does not exceed the scratch disk size either. I have a partitioned hard drive C:= 16GB of free space and E: = 30GB of free space. I have tried assigning the C drive and the E drives as my primary scratch disks…it still says it is full!

This is positively driving me nuts! I have to be able to crop!

Any suggestions would be great!

TammyJ

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RG
Roy G
Aug 14, 2006
"TammyJ" wrote in message
For some reason, I can’t crop! I get a pop-up window saying "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full". I have tried the Edit > Purge with no luck. The file does not exceed the scratch disk size either. I have a partitioned hard drive C:= 16GB of free space and E: = 30GB of free space. I have tried assigning the C drive and the E drives as my primary scratch disks…it still says it is full!

TammyJ

Hi.

Your Primary Scratch should be the empty partition not the "C" drive.

What size are your images??

Is there only one open in Ps at a time.

Just before you want to crop, Save, then close Ps. Check that the Temp File created by Ps on the Scratch is actually empty, if not just delete it.

Re-open Ps and the image you want to crop, and try cropping as the very first operation.

What you really need, is a much bigger HDD. Disconnect your old one, and then install all your programs onto the new one. This way it becomes "C".

Then reconnect the old one and copy your data from it onto the new one. Format your old one and use it as the Scratch Disc. Do not put anything onto the Scratch Disc.

In Ps preferences select your old disc "D" ? as the primary scratch disc and your new "C", (or a partition on it), as the second scratch disc.

Roy G
K
KatWoman
Aug 15, 2006

TammyJ

buy new hard drive
or take off files by CD or DVD
that is not enough space for any decent size image
right click on drive letter, properties, look at the pie make the free space larger than the filled
U
ushere
Aug 15, 2006
KatWoman wrote:

TammyJ

buy new hard drive
right click on drive letter, properties, look at the pie make the free space larger than the filled

16/30 GIG not enough space? what file sizes do you work with?

leslie
N
noone
Aug 15, 2006
In article ,
says…

TammyJ

TammyJ,

As others have stated, Scratch Disks are better being large, fast, separate * physical* HDDs. Also, a rough rule-o-thumb is that the Scratch Disk usage is ~ 5x the file size.

Hunt
MR
Mike Russell
Aug 15, 2006

You have plenty of free space, so I suspect the problem is in your crop tool settings.

Reset the tool by clicking the Clear button, and see if that fixes the problem. If you have an earlier version of Photoshop that does not this button, delete any numbers from the width, height, and resolution values for the crop tool.

If that does not fix the problem, it’s time for the three fingered salute . While restarting Photoshop, press ctrl, alt, and shift at the same time. This will reset Photoshop’s internal settings to default values. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
T
TammyJ
Aug 15, 2006
ushere wrote:
KatWoman wrote:

TammyJ

buy new hard drive

leslie

For the moment, I’m working with 10MB files. But I will have to deal with larger ones in the future…I knew that I would be pushing it with only a 80GB HD…What is a little strange is that all other complex filter work without a hitch! Strange.

Thanks Leslie
U
ushere
Aug 15, 2006
TammyJ wrote:
ushere wrote:
KatWoman wrote:
For some reason, I can’t crop! I get a pop-up window saying "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full". I have tried the Edit > Purge with no luck. The file does not exceed the scratch disk size either. I have a
partitioned hard drive C:= 16GB of free space and E: = 30GB of free space. I have tried assigning the C drive and the E drives as my primary scratch disks…it still says it is full!

TammyJ
buy new hard drive or take off files by CD or DVD that is not enough space for any decent size image right click on drive letter, properties, look at the pie make the free space larger than the filled
leslie

For the moment, I’m working with 10MB files. But I will have to deal with larger ones in the future…I knew that I would be pushing it with only a 80GB HD…What is a little strange is that all other complex filter work without a hitch! Strange.

Thanks Leslie

as mike wrote – three finger salute…. there’s obviously a problem with ps, not your computer…

leslie
K
KatWoman
Aug 15, 2006
"Mike Russell" wrote in message

You have plenty of free space, so I suspect the problem is in your crop tool settings.

Reset the tool by clicking the Clear button, and see if that fixes the problem. If you have an earlier version of Photoshop that does not this button, delete any numbers from the width, height, and resolution values for the crop tool.

If that does not fix the problem, it’s time for the three fingered salute . While restarting Photoshop, press ctrl, alt, and shift at the same time. This will reset Photoshop’s internal settings to default values. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

so I suspect the problem is in your crop tool
settings.

yeah make sure you are not putting the crop size at 768 inches instead of pixels
been there done that crashed
T
Tacit
Aug 16, 2006
In article ,
"TammyJ" wrote:

No, not strange at all. You have set your Crop tool incorrectly.

Click on your Crop tool. Look very closely at your Options bar at the top of your screen. You have probably accidentally typed numbers into the Width, Height, and Resolution boxes. Make sure these boxes are empty and have no numbers in them.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
F
friesian
Aug 19, 2006
TammyJ wrote:

Close photoshop. Look for large temporary files. If your computer crashes while photoshop is open, the temp file will be saved, taking space in your scratch disk.

I had this problem several years ago. Windows explorer would say the space was available, but Photoshop considered it used. Once I deleted the old temp files, the problem disappeared.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections