NW
Posted By
No Way
May 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone have a trick to share regarding using the lasso tool to select a complex area in a photo? I’m trying to select the foreground subject and apply a gaussian blur to the background. Every time I start the selection process around my subject, I can’t seem to maintain precise control over outlining the border. The selected areas often depart from the edges I’m trying to trace and I don’t see a way to adjust specific points without having to start the process all over again.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
MCC
May 14, 2006
On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:21:55 -0400, Ric wrote:

Does anyone have a trick to share regarding using the lasso tool to select a complex area in a photo? I’m trying to select the foreground subject and apply a gaussian blur to the background. Every time I start the selection process around my subject, I can’t seem to maintain precise control over outlining the border. The selected areas often depart from the edges I’m trying to trace and I don’t see a way to adjust specific points without having to start the process all over again.

What I do is increase the contrast as high as I can and then use the *magnetic* lasso tool – this helps to distinguish the object being selected. Once I’ve made the selection I re-set the contrast and carry on as normal.

MCC
M
MyVeryOwnSelf
May 14, 2006

Instead of starting all over, you can modify the selection. Among the lasso-tool choice buttons are these four:
New selection
Add to selection
Subtract from selection
Intersect selection

You can start a new selection with one tool and add/subtract/intersect using a different selection tool.

Also, look up "defringe" in PSE4’s built-in Help for a feature that might help.
H
HiJack
May 14, 2006
Also, remember you can save your selections. that can really help if for some reason you lose your work.

Jack

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:40:33 -0500, MyVeryOwnSelf
wrote:

Instead of starting all over, you can modify the selection. Among the lasso-tool choice buttons are these four:
New selection
Add to selection
Subtract from selection
Intersect selection

You can start a new selection with one tool and add/subtract/intersect using a different selection tool.

Also, look up "defringe" in PSE4’s built-in Help for a feature that might help.
L
luk
May 14, 2006
MCC wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:21:55 -0400, Ric wrote:

What I do is increase the contrast as high as I can and then use the *magnetic* lasso tool – this helps to distinguish the object being selected. Once I’ve made the selection I re-set the contrast and carry on as normal.

I find it helpful to set the magnetic lasso at
10 pixels. Also when mistakes are made, the
delete key will get you back to a spot of your
choosing.

Luk
S
sam
May 17, 2006
increase magnification to 500% and you can see easier

"Ric" wrote in message
C
chris
May 17, 2006
Also, note that if you start to go off your course you can use the backspace key to undo the last anchor point – you can keep repeating this. It took me a while to pick up on this little but essential trick.

Cheers

Chris

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections