B
Posted By
BJBBJB
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I never had this problem with PSE2. My issue is with PSE3, especially when I have multiple pictures opened and under edit, the pictures will scroll outside of the screen area after I have made a selection (say with the marquee tool) and if I pull down too fast.
I do not mean it scrolls to the bottom of the picture, but beyond, into a gray area that is not the canvas size either.

If there is only one image open, I can click on multi-window mode in the upper right hand corner, drag the image to fill the screen and it "sticks". However obviously if you have multiple images open, that choice gives you multiple small windows.

I can only assume this is some setting somewhere, I went in preferences and changed a few default view selections with no joy.

Hopefully this makes sense. There must be an easy solution.

BJBBJB

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BG
Byron Gale
Apr 28, 2005
This is addressed in the FAQ "Image jumps off the screen when dragging the crop tool in the Editor".
B
BJBBJB
Apr 28, 2005
Byron,
Thanks. Unfortunately, this confirms what I posted. The single-picture fix I noted was to choose multi-window mode option which is exactly what the faq says to do. And that freezes the image. However if you have multiple images open (not in-ve in elements, none of the solutions in the FAQ or tech bulletin seem to work.

The fit in window and zoom options may help, but they do not freeze the image.

I still do not see the logic of this new "feature"… BJBBJB
RW
Roger Whitehead
Apr 28, 2005
In article , wrote:
This is addressed in the FAQ "Image jumps off the screen when dragging the crop tool in the Editor".

Where do I find that, Byron? can you quote the URL, please?

Roger
B
BJBBJB
May 20, 2005
Does anyone have a workaround for this? I must be doing something wrong. If I have more than one picture loaded in Elements, there is no way I can use say a rectanglar selection tool and drag it up or down in a picture and if you go a hair too fast, it scrolls all the way down past the image.
I see the faq and the above solutions if you have only ONE image loaded (you just pick the multi-image icon) – makes no sense, but works. Keeps the image you are working on stable.

However, if you have more than one loaded it won’t work.

Perhaps I should ask the question a different way. For those that use PSE a lot, if you have more than one image open, how do you use say the rectangular selection tool to choose a portion of a image….say to crop….without the image scrolling way past you down the screen???

BJBBJB
BH
Beth_Haney
May 20, 2005
Can anyone else duplicate this person’s problem? I can’t, but I use a Mac, so the set up could be so different that it’s like comparing apples to oranges (And, yes, I did intend that pun, but if it gets the message across… hey, who cares?!)

I had three images open on my desktop and was able to maintain control over the rectangular marquee tool on each one. This computer isn’t a particular slouch, either.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 20, 2005
BJBBJB,

Is it possible your image are viewed at larger than what would be required to fit them all on the screen ? Try this. With any image, click on View / Fit on Screen. Then use one of the selection tool. Image shouldn’t scroll anymore.

I’m on a Mac as well (like Beth), and the only Windows version I have is PSE2. I don’t have PSE3 for Windows, so I can’t replicate your issue exactly, but I view my image (2048 x 1564) at their full resolution, when I make a selection, the image will jump quite rapidly to the bottom (or whatever direction I’m heading!)

Ray
B
BJBBJB
May 20, 2005
Raymond,

Thanks for getting back to me! Yes, I never noticed this behavior in PSE2. I just tried this again in PSE3. If I load 3 images (by this I mean they are in the photo bin), select the "maximize mode" little icon in the upper right hand corner (if you select tile, now way to get full screen)….
Then for the image selected I select "fit on screen" what happens is this: Both the horizontal and vertical scroll bars stay on the side, but the image jumps to the center. However, if you select something it will not "stick", it will just scroll up or down again.
It scrolls to the blank gray area above and below the image.

To differentiate, if I only open ONE image in PSE3, and choose the icon called "multi-window mode", I can then size that one image on the screen without the scroll bars. It will then "stick" where you put it. As you mentioned, in this mode, if the image is larger than the viewable area, you get the scroll bars, which makes sense….

However I think I found a workaround. If you have more than one image loaded… and you choose multi-window mode, and you actually minimize all of the other images, and re-size the one you are working on, it does stay!!! This is pretty non-standard window navigation but at least it does work.

BJBBJB
CW
Colin Walls
May 20, 2005
I think you have found the workaround to this "bug" [or is it a feature? If so, I don’t know what the designer was on at that time. :-)]. Use multi-image mode, select the image you want to work on and do CTRL/0 [zero].

BTW, I did figure out a "use" for this functionality. You can do negative cropping – make the image [canvas] bigger using the Crop tool. Since there are other ways to do this, I’m not convinced of its utility.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections