Photoshop CS3/Windows VISTA is incredibly slow.

F
Posted By
fichtelzwerg
Oct 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hey all have the same problem as jonathan. installed photoshop and everything went fine. next time i started it, it took 1-2 seconds to respond for all the tools and so on. dont have any printer installed yet since its a new machine. so i reinstalled photoshop and everything was fine again.
then after rebooting the same problem occured again. everything has a delay of 1-2 seconds again. pls if anyone had the same problems please tell me.

my system is a dualcore with 4gb ram, gfprce 8600gt, vista home ultimate, ps cs3

thanks in advance

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
dfa2
Dec 7, 2007
Same here guys – It was mid november when suddenly PSCS3 started to slow down no matter what size my psd file. 2 sec delay on everything… and I’ve tried every suggestion here!!
HP
homer_pez
Dec 18, 2007
Running the following system:

Vista 32 Ultimate
4GB Ram (only 3.some noticed, obviously)
500GB HD + 160GB HD
Q6600 processor (QUAD CORE)

I still get this no matter what I try, and only in CS3.

I still use Photoshop 5.2 for some tasks (it runs nice and quickly with low overhead), and CS2 for others. Both run almost "at will" for me on this system. Meaning, I can open up 10-20 files in just a second or two, and when I perform actions, they occur almost faster than you can see it happen.

In CS3, however, files are easily TEN TIMES slower to load, work with, and close, and it goes downhill from there. Even scrolling with the mouse wheel seems to lag (and only moves the picture slightly, no matter how many lines I have the mouse set to scroll at one time).

I have tried playing with the RAM settings, preferences, 3D acceleration off and on, turning on printers, turning them off, changing the default, scratch disks, compatability mode. Every fix suggested here provides NO help for this. I have also tried to install, uninstall, and use both the disc version AND then the updated 10.0.0.1 version. Both have this problem.

Vista and CS2 or previous Photoshop versions = runs super fast.

Vista and CS3 = totally broken.

Someone let me know when someone arrives at a real fix. Thanks.
VA
Valentino_Aditya
Jan 3, 2008
hi, i have a strange problem, on my previous installation of windows vista and the same CS3, my photoshop run fast. then i installed windows vista again coz i kinda messed up with my registry and wanted a fresh copy.

then i installed CS3 on the same machine and same OS, flash etc runs fast, but photoshop is VERY slow, everything is delayed for about 2 sec to execute.

tried everything i read in this forum or another website, but none is working.

it’s definitely not a hardware problem. it’s a bug. used to work on flash and illustrator and photoshop while listening to musics in WMP, while still opening outlook and any messengers for receiving my job, it was fast. but now i open only photoshop without any other software running, it’s still very very slowwwwwww man…
VA
Valentino_Aditya
Jan 3, 2008
strange, i use "programs and feature" from control panel to remove photoshop only. then i reinstall photoshop AND server cue (i didn’t install the server cue when the photoshop was slow).

now it’s fast as my previous vista installment. strange…

maybe it’s the network printer bug (but requires re’installation), coz in my previous vista installment i have a printer but on 2nd vista installment i didn’t so the default printer was on network.

maybe it’s server cue bug,

don’t know…
but it’s fast after i reinstall the photoshop.
JD
Jus_Dreamin
Jan 3, 2008
installing a postscript printer (linotronic)as default, cleared up my "slow" problem
JJ
John_Joslin
Jan 4, 2008
You can just install the Adobe Generic Postscript Printer driver and set it to default. It is downloadable at:

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=p drv&platform=win>

All part of the fascinating world of Photoshop CS3.
SU
Seth_Ulrich
Feb 6, 2008
I have a similar delima. I’m running Adobe PS CS3 on a Dell XPS M1330 running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OS w/ 3 GB of RAM, NVIDIA Graphics card, and a Intel Core Duo @ 2.2 GHz. When I try to open a file while connected to the web via wireless, it take soooo long that it becomes unresponsive that I give up and close photoshop. However, when I turn my wireless card off, the files open in less that a second. Is there a solution to this or is turning of the wireless card the only workaround?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 6, 2008
select a local printer.
SU
Seth_Ulrich
Feb 6, 2008
I see, using a printer over the network as a default printer is a big no no. That fixed my problem instantly. Thnx Dave…
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 6, 2008
no prob seth. odd, but you gotta do what you gotta do! 🙂
GB
Gene_Burch
Mar 15, 2008
I have a fairly fast HP laptop running Vista Home Premium and CS3 and it was taking 15-18 seconds to open a simple jpg files. By accident, I found out if I turn of the wireless card, the jpg’s open very fast. A wireless card problem or a Photoshop problem?
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 15, 2008
a networking problem. do you have a remote printer assigned as default? set a local one (even though one doesn’t exist).
KT
King_Tommy
Apr 15, 2008
Martin V Madsen

I’m sitting here in class helping my girlfriend fix her laptop. She’s had similar problems in Photoshop where the brush tool lags frequently. Running Vista with Aero ON actually fixed this problem, and I thank you for the solution. It’s also being run as an administrator, but there was no noticeable difference until Aero was turned on.

This seems like the most backward solution ever, but it does work. And it boggles my mind even further because in order for her to run Macromedia Flash 8 smoothly she has to run it with Aero OFF. Vista is indeed a tricky one.
I
ID._Awe
Apr 15, 2008
King: Actually when you start Flash 8, Vista will turn off the Aero interface automatically.
LR
Lauren_Roth
Apr 22, 2008
Goal: Use the Adobe CS3 Design suite more efficiently. Program lags are demoralizing.

Question: Which OS to get?

I am currently running the Adobe CS3 Design Suite on an XP Professional SP2 IBM Thinkpad T42 with a KVM switch and a monitor. I acquired two servers that I want to re-appropriate for use with my Adobe Suite, since they are higher performance, have more RAM, etc…

Here is the quandry: Do I bother with Vista, which I can get for less than $100 at Costco, or get XP Professional for up to $300 somewhere online?

I could get a Macbook Pro (sorry, any hardcore PCers), but then I would have to re-buy my suite. Ug.

Thanks!
D
DGWaters
Apr 22, 2008
Lauren,
Don’t believe all that stuff you hear about Vista. It was never a bad OS, it was just that xp was so good that many people never saw any need to replace it. Most reported problems are either UAC (which you kick out the door first thing) or some early-release problems that have by now been fixed.

But I would advise you to plan for the future and go with Vista x64. That’s what I have, and I love it. CS3 Design Standard runs smooth as silk. Photoshop launches in two seconds flat from a fresh boot, I’m not kidding-
ML
Maciej_Lisiewski
Apr 22, 2008
I’d hate to start yet another OS flame, but Vista is the very first Windows Millennium of the 21st century. It’s not that XP is great, it’s vista that is very, very bad.
I have vista because of directx 10 – I run a gaming website and don’t have much choice. If not that I’d stay with XP. If not that and there was Photoshop for Linux I wouldn’t even have XP.

There are two jokes that pretty much sum this all up:
– How many Micro$oft programmers does it take to write a good program? – More.

2. The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners
I
ID._Awe
Apr 22, 2008
Well you are starting an OS flame, it is un-informed opinions like yours that make Vista seem bad. I’ve been using Vista for quite some time without any problems. If you read the blogs, you’d know that Vista has had fewer updates than XP for the same time frame.

Vista 64 is rock solid. You made a blanket statement without any specifics and stating something to the effect that "they are too numerous to mention" is a cop-out.

PS: You obviously missed the ‘Wine’ thread here about needing testers to help make PS run on Linux.
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 22, 2008
I’d hate to start yet another OS flame

All evidence to the contrary.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 22, 2008
even I’M not going to bite on that one. (although vista bites fine on it’s own! 😛 )
ML
Maciej_Lisiewski
Apr 22, 2008
I wouldn’t call my opinions uninformed, since I do have some knowledge of various OSes I have used for last 15 years or so starting from ye olde MS DOS and secondly I have been using windows vista as my primary OS since May 2007. In that 10 months I have became quite familiar with it’s performance issues (even thou I have quite good hardware), the new and annoying security confirmations (not that I have something about windows security – it would be a great idea 😛 – but "confirm averything. twice." approach only promotes clicking without reading), lower stability (compared to xp sp2), backwards compatibility issues and more.
Honestly once I’ve turned off the features I don’t use, features that annoy me and the ones that are purely eye-candy which decreases usability I was left with noticeably slower and less stable windows xp. The only thing I do like about vista is the new file browser dialog.

As for wine it is an acceptable solution if you use PS from time to time – if it is among your primary work tools the performance and, more importantly, stability issues are a showstopper here.
D
DGWaters
Apr 22, 2008
The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners

It’s a good joke, I’ll give you that-
N
none
Apr 22, 2008
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 05:37:08 -0700,
wrote:

I wouldn’t call my opinions uninformed, since I do have some knowledge of various OSes I have used for last 15 years or so starting from ye olde MS DOS and secondly I have been using windows vista as my primary OS since May 2007. In that 10 months I have became quite familiar with it’s performance issues (even thou I have quite good hardware), the new and annoying security confirmations (not that I have something about windows security – it would be a great idea 😛 – but "confirm averything. twice." approach only promotes clicking without reading), lower stability (compared to xp sp2), backwards compatibility issues and more.
Honestly once I’ve turned off the features I don’t use, features that annoy me and the ones that are purely eye-candy which decreases usability I was left with noticeably slower and less stable windows xp. The only thing I do like about vista is the new file browser dialog.

As for wine it is an acceptable solution if you use PS from time to time – if it is among your primary work tools the performance and, more importantly, stability issues are a showstopper here.

With all that OS experience, perhaps you recall the original XP release too? True to MS form, it was pretty horrible. It took two SPs before it was stable.

Vista just got SP1, and with that it’s pretty stable. I have several computers running 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. In spite of the warts you speak of (security confirmations most notably), it is more reliable than XP was in the same time-frame.

The eye-candy doesn’t bother me too much, considering one alternative is MAC’s OS, which has more eye-candy than anything other OS.

I’m definitely no fan of Microsoft, since I curse them nearly every day for something. On the other hand, I curse all the other OS makers I’ve used as well – not to mention the application makers which includes MS of course, but also includes Adobe.
BG
Brooks_Gelfand
Apr 22, 2008
Flames off, please.

Maciej is trying to run games on his Vista system. Vista, and DX10, are having the normal teething problems with games. Game authors and programmers are known for taking "shortcuts" and using "undocumented" programming techniques. When Microsoft closes the holes, they get caught, and have to re-program. Oops!!

If you have a computer running XP and it meets your needs, stay with XP. (Me, I am still running Windows 2000; it meets my needs and runs CS2. However, when I upgrade hardware, I will install Vista)

If you get a new computer, run Vista as long as the third party vendors have provided Vista drivers for you "must have" hardware e.g. scanners, cameras, etc.

Last year I built a new computer for my Significant Other to replace her very old Windows 98 machine. I chose Vista as the operating system. To date, almost 10-months later, Vista has been running solid as a rock – no failures. Applying SP1 was painless.

If you must run games … get an XBox? (Just joking, Maciej. I can sympathize with your frustrations running games on a new operating system and new DX release. If I remember correctly, gamers were cursing XP when it first came out.)
I
ID._Awe
Apr 22, 2008
I knew it would be a matter of time before people, rather begrudgingly, admitted that Vista isn’t that bad. But it is difficult to EAT CROW!
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 22, 2008
If you get a new computer, run Vista as long as the third party vendors have provided Vista drivers for you "must have" hardware e.g. scanners, cameras, etc.

bingo!

get an XBox?

Wii for games, and a get a PS3 for blu-ray! what’s an xbox? 😛
JN
Jelf_Nehra
Oct 8, 2008
ok, I’ve have similar problems as most of you… Agonizingly slow operability with CS3 and Windows XP. I have followed the advice on disabling visual effects… However I noticed that it was optimized to run with Win 95! I tried to select XP, but the most recent option was Win 2000 (or NT, or ME, or 95). I have run the updater and everthing is supposedly up-to-date. Does anyone have advice to offer?
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 9, 2008
Maciej is trying to run games on his Vista system. Vista, and DX10, are having the normal teething problems with games. Game authors and programmers are known for taking "shortcuts" and using "undocumented" programming techniques. When Microsoft closes the holes, they get caught, and have to re-program. Oops!!

I know some people who work in the games industry and the pressure to meet deadlines nearly always comprises the finished product….also a lot of game designers are really blagging it – and some won’t even touch vista…..
NS
Norma_Sheffield
Oct 18, 2008
Hi I just bought a new laptop w/ vista 32 bit. have installed my photoshop from my first and upgraded to cs3. each one of the previous photoshop opened up fine, got to cs3 and it will not open. It trys to open, up comes the big screen but nothing will happen. I dont know how to fix this does anyone have a solution. thanks
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 18, 2008
each one of the previous photoshop opened up fine

Your message is not very clear – are you trying to run them at the same time?

Have you activated CS3?
NS
Norma_Sheffield
Oct 18, 2008
no only one at a time. when I try to open cs3 which I just installed it will not open up. I get the big screen but nothing will load. thanks for your help
NS
Norma_Sheffield
Oct 18, 2008
I just downloaded and installed the update for cs3 and it is still doing the same thing. I just cant seem to figure it out. cs2 worked and then upgraded to cs3 and nothing. It also took away some features of my touch pad on the laptop
NS
Norma_Sheffield
Oct 18, 2008
I can not activate it because it will not open up. I did activate it on my old laptop.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 18, 2008
Where did you purchase the upgrade from? It may be defective.

Also installation support is free from Adobe (but not at the weekend).
NS
Norma_Sheffield
Oct 18, 2008
thankyou. I purchased it when it first came out and worked on my other computer fine. I did finally get the menus to come up by turning something off under admin. but still doesnt respond.
I even got it to ask for the serial number entered it and still nothing. maybe now I will deactivate the other computer and see if that is a problem if not than I can reactivate on the origianl right? thanks for your help
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 18, 2008
You need to turn off UAC in Vista when you install it. At least, that’s what I did.
NS
Norma_Sheffield
Oct 18, 2008
thanks I did that. I unistalled and did that after someone suggested that for another program I was trying to install. I have got the screen and the menu bar but nothing else. I have gotten the activate screen and entered the numbers but still nothing. I deactivated on my other computer so at this point I have no photoshop ugh.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 18, 2008
Re-activate it. You can activate up to two installations!

If you look at Properties > Compatibility with a right-click on the PS Short-cut Icon you could try running in a different compatibility mode.
NS
Norma_Sheffield
Oct 18, 2008
Thank you John for your help
I will need to wait until Monday I guess, I have gotten as far as trying to activaTE and now it tells me I have to activate by phone.
Maybe it will be ok once it is activated now. I have only installed and uninstalled 3 times.
BS
Bryan_Stelling
Jan 11, 2009
I found a fix from Warren Pearson to speed up Photoshop CS3 when using Vista and a network printer. If your default printer is a network printer, photoshop will take forever to open a file. A work around this is to fool photoshop by adding a local printer with network capabilities. Here’s how: 1) Start the Add printer wizard 2) choose to add a Local printer. 3) Select "Create a New Port" and use the drop down menu to choose "Standard TCP/IP Port". 4) Next type in the IP address of your networked printer–you can find this in your printer’s set up under wireless network information settings. 5) Then choose the brand of printer in the left box and the model in the right box to install a driver. Whala! You installed a network printer that is recognized as a local printer by Vista and Photoshop. Photoshop CS3 will now open files instantly. Thanks to Warren Pearson for this fix.

I did not discover this fix for months and was so frustrated with the lag time of opening jpeg files, I almost stopped using Photoshop altogether.

Good luck!
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 11, 2009
Which is why my Xerox 8550 network printer is not creating any problems for me. Good to know.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections