JH
Posted By
Jim_Hartley
Jun 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This may be an old subject but it is my first posting and question here and I haven’t found the answer by searching. I have used the original Elements for some time and in the Color settings, switched between limited management for the web…the sRGB and Full management for Adobe RGB (1998) for printing which I use most of the time. My problem is I also have several copies of Elements 2 which I have received with cameras and Epson printers and have installed and used. The issue is that on any copy of Elements 2 I have installed and tried, I cannot get Adobe RGB under the Full management option…it only has sRGB as the save option whether I select the limited or full option. Can anyone tell me how to get Adobe RGB using Elements 2…I am totally stumped!!!!

Thanks, Jim Hartley

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 11, 2005
I suspect that the issue is that you are working on an image that already has sRGB embedded as the color space. Elements 2 & 3 don’t give you the ability to convert between color spaces (directly). You can coerce the conversion by opening up a blank document with the target color space and dragging and dropping an image from "wrong" color space onto the blank image. It’s an annoyance, but not $500 worth. 😉
JH
Jim_Hartley
Jun 11, 2005
Thanks for your input…If that is the way it is then it is more puzzling that they took this feature away since it worked fine in Elements 1.0 as the images from the camera were sRGB but it was easy to save as Adobe RGB with the full color mgt checked…and I do mostly prints so I use Elements 1.0 most of the time. I now also have CS so I was mainly asking this question for a friend who only has Elements 2.0.

Thanks for your response. Regards, Jim.
BB
brent bertram
Jun 11, 2005
The issue here is that Elements 1 did not respect the EXIF colorspace, while Elements 2 does respect that tag ( similar to the way Photoshop 6 behaves, compared with Photoshop 7 ).
The solution is to download the "Ignore EXIF Colorspace Utility" at < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1963> .

Ignoring the EXIF colorspace will allow Elements 2 behave the same way as Elements 1, in this regard.

For a tiny bit of EXIF history, the EXIF colorspace in the early EXIF spec could only be sRGB or untagged ( the recent spec allows AdobeRGB as an option ). Most cameras imbed sRGB, although in reality their colorspace may be something more than sRGB, closer to AdobeRGB, in fact. It’s a crapshoot, whether or not your camera images are better interpretted at sRGB or AdobeRGB . With the Ignore EXif utility, you can switch back and forth, image by image, if you choose. Not as nice as the full capability of Photoshop, but it IS an option.

🙂

Brent
JH
Jim_Hartley
Jun 11, 2005
Brent

Thanks so much for the info…I will give it a try. Does the download have any draw backs as far as other features of use for Elements 2.0?

Again, thanks for the input!!

Regards, Jim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections