Why do I ALWAYS get a "Color Settings" dialog??

CB
Posted By
Cliff_Bickel
Nov 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Something weird seems to have happened to my PS CS setup in the last month…every single time I open the program, I get the same exact "warning" dialog:

"Color settings for Photoshop CS will be configured using default settings. Do you wish to customize your color settings now? You can choose Edit>Color Settings to customize them later" with the choices of YES and NO.

I’ve tried choosing NO, which dismisses the dialog, and I’ve tried choosing YES, which brings up the color settings, at which time I’ve tried picking the Photoshop default as well as numerous other presets.

But every time I close the program, and reopen it, I get the same warning dialog. Somehow, this "Color Settings" setting isn’t being saved somewhere. It never used to bring up this dialog, so somehing’s changed…but what?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Nov 3, 2005
Your preference file isn’t being saved or is being corrupted.

Could be permissions, or a bad disk or you’re shutting the machine down without first closing Photoshop or…
CB
Cliff_Bickel
Nov 6, 2005
Well, I’m the administrator on this XP Pro system, so permissions shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve run every disk test and defrag option I can think of, and I don’t shut the machine down with any program open. This problem just cropped up in the last month or so.
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 6, 2005
Have you tried trashing the Prefs (as per the FAQs)?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 7, 2005
Or have you (like I once did) restored prefereces back from a CD, in which case the files are Read Only?

It took me a while to discover the reason why my Recent File List didn’t change!

Rob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections