P
Posted By
Peter
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok now I’ve read and read, so now the big decision. I’m currently doing mostly portrait and landscape photography. My current camera (Nikon D70) is set to sRGB1966 III. Now I’m working with Photoshop CS and it is currently set to sRGB1966 under the heading of "north America general purpose defaults". Should I be in "U.S. prepress default Adobe 1998 setting? I mainly do photography with some advertising layouts (nothing spectacular, yet)

Need some advice.

Thanks

Also for printing photographs I currently go to local printers. My 4×6 proofs are usually just done at Costco "Fuji".

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
dplank
Jul 23, 2004
I suggest that you do NOT use sRGB.

The reason
To ensure consistent color on multiple computers, sRGB leaves colors out of its space. It is the lowest common denominator. I suggest that you use Colormatch or Adobe RGB. Both include a wider range of colors.

dp

Peter wrote:

Ok now I’ve read and read, so now the big decision. I’m currently doing mostly portrait and landscape photography. My current camera (Nikon D70) is set to sRGB1966 III. Now I’m working with Photoshop CS and it is currently set to sRGB1966 under the heading of "north America general purpose defaults". Should I be in "U.S. prepress default Adobe 1998 setting? I mainly do photography with some advertising layouts (nothing spectacular, yet)

Need some advice.

Thanks

Also for printing photographs I currently go to local printers. My 4×6 proofs are usually just done at Costco "Fuji".
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 23, 2004
Peter wrote:

Need some advice.

Thanks

The Fuji Frontier systems are calibrated to sRGB. Start with your current sRGB workflow as your base, and experiment with Adobe RGB to see for yourself if the "extended gamut" pays off with better looking images. Just as you might try different film emulsions before settling on one for the majority of your work, do give Adobe RGB a try.

Adobe RGB does have a downside: the colors will look drab if your images are viewed outside of Adobe Photoshop.

Having said all that, what you do in the way of color correction, curves and so forth, is more important than the particular color profile you choose as your working space. Get your highlights, shadows, and neutrals lined up, in Adobe RGB or sRGB and your images will look much better. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
SS
scott.southerland
Jul 23, 2004
My current camera (Nikon D70) is set to sRGB1966 III.

If you’re shooting in sRGB then there is very little benefit to using a larger working space such as Adobe RGB, ColorMatch or ProPhoto. If you do decide to begin shooting in a larger space such as Adobe RGB or switch to RAW then the U.S. Prepress Defaults preset would work well for you.
J
Jim
Jul 23, 2004
"Peter" wrote in message
Ok now I’ve read and read, so now the big decision. I’m currently doing mostly portrait and landscape photography. My current camera (Nikon D70)
is
set to sRGB1966 III.
AdobeRGB has a wider gamut; you can set the D70 to output that color space.
Now I’m working with Photoshop CS and it is currently
set to sRGB1966 under the heading of "north America general purpose defaults". Should I be in "U.S. prepress default Adobe 1998 setting?
There is little advantage to changing the color space out of sRGB in PS. Now, the answer might be different if you set the camera to output AdobeRGB.
I
mainly do photography with some advertising layouts (nothing spectacular, yet)

Need some advice.
sRGB is good enough for this task. After all, why knock yourself out for a shot that most people will only give a passing glance?

Jim
H
Hecate
Jul 24, 2004
On 23 Jul 2004 05:05:08 -0700, (Scott
Southerland) wrote:

My current camera (Nikon D70) is set to sRGB1966 III.

If you’re shooting in sRGB then there is very little benefit to using a larger working space such as Adobe RGB, ColorMatch or ProPhoto. If you do decide to begin shooting in a larger space such as Adobe RGB or switch to RAW then the U.S. Prepress Defaults preset would work well for you.

I disagree. If you are outputting in CMYK, AdobeRGB is a far better match despite being having a wider gamut.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
SS
scott.southerland
Jul 27, 2004
Hecate wrote in message news:
If you are outputting in CMYK, AdobeRGB is a far better
match despite being having a wider gamut.

I’d be interested to hear your reasoning. If the image is captured in sRGB, what benefit is there to converting to Adobe RGB?
H
Hecate
Jul 28, 2004
On 26 Jul 2004 20:11:36 -0700, (Scott
Southerland) wrote:

Hecate wrote in message news:
If you are outputting in CMYK, AdobeRGB is a far better
match despite being having a wider gamut.

I’d be interested to hear your reasoning. If the image is captured in sRGB, what benefit is there to converting to Adobe RGB?

Any alterations to hue/saturation that you make in the Adobe colour space may or may not be available in the sRGB colour space and are more likely to be in gamut in the CMYK colour space.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
W
Waldo
Jul 28, 2004

Converting: none, assigning: a lot. I have some example pictures if you don’t believe it…

I am not aware of any camera that is so bad that it can only capture colors that fall in the sRGB gamut.

Waldo

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections