H
Posted By
Hallvard
May 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got an idea for a header image for use with my website, but I need some pointers on how to get it done (I’m using Photoshop elements 2.0 in Windows).

I have a 640×400 black/white screenshot (IMG, from an Atari ST, but I can easily convert it to GIF or whatever), and I’d like to make it look like it’s being seen at a sideways angle, and to make it even more "3D" It would be nice to make it have an edge as well, so that it looks like a thicker piece of paper or something.

Is this possible with Photoshop elements 2, and if so, how? (Preferrably explained in a simple way so that even I, as a newbie, can understand).

Since a picture says more than a thousand words I’ve drawn a very rough sketch of my idea (sorry about my drawing skills -it ain’t easy with a mouse). It’s here: <http://home.c2i.net/w-460389/3d_like_perspective.gif>

PS: I’m also open for other ideas regarding this -other effects etc. I can add to make it even better.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
May 11, 2005
I suggest you try, from the menu, Image > Adjust > Perspective or Image > Adjust > Free Transform…

Both allow you to distort a selection or image to suggest a vanishing point perspective.

For the page "thickness", you might try using a short, sharp drop-shadow.

Just a couple of thoughts…

Byron
H
Hallvard
May 11, 2005
Wow!! That’s absolutely awesome!! 🙂
Thanks!
I’m very new to PSE, and I’ve been putting off trying to learn it, but seeing how powerful a tool this is, and how much can be done with very little work however I’m more motivated than ever.

PS. the menu choice was slightly different from what you wrote. I managed to do what I wanted by going to:

Image – Transform – Perspective

Thanks again!
BG
Byron Gale
May 11, 2005
wrote
Wow!! That’s absolutely awesome!! 🙂
Thanks!….
PS. the menu choice was slightly different from what you wrote. I managed
to do what I wanted by going to: Image – Transform – Perspective

Hallvard,

I’m glad the advice got you going in the right direction, even though I munged the menu location!!

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 11, 2005
Hallvard ..

I used that technique on this weeks "Grant’s Challenge" … take a look at my No 3.

Whilst you are there look around the entries and you will get an idea of what can be achieved using Elements 🙂

<http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Present/index6.html>

Wendy
C
Corey
May 12, 2005
Something else you might try is to transform the image as Byron suggests and then add a sharp Bevel & Emboss. Then copy this layer and nudge it a pixel or two up/down and left/ right depending on your lighting angle. Link these two layers and merge together (CTRL+E) and repeat the process of copying and nudging.

I’ve done this with text, but without the transform for another poster some time ago. You can see the text at
http://home.comcast.net/~oneravenlunatic/adding_dimension.jp g

see bottom version.

Peadge 🙂

wrote in message
I’ve got an idea for a header image for use with my website, but I need some pointers on how to get it done (I’m using Photoshop elements 2.0 in Windows).

I have a 640×400 black/white screenshot (IMG, from an Atari ST, but I can easily convert it to GIF or whatever), and I’d like to make it look like it’s being seen at a sideways angle, and to make it even more "3D" It would be nice to make it have an edge as well, so that it looks like a thicker piece of paper or something.
Is this possible with Photoshop elements 2, and if so, how? (Preferrably explained in a simple way so that even I, as a newbie, can understand).

Since a picture says more than a thousand words I’ve drawn a very rough sketch of my idea (sorry about my drawing skills -it ain’t easy with a mouse). It’s here:
<http://home.c2i.net/w-460389/3d_like_perspective.gif>
PS: I’m also open for other ideas regarding this -other effects etc. I can add to make it even better.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections