Use correct monitor calibration or what most people will actually see?

Posted By
1Swede
Sep 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I use a correctly calibrated monitor and my images look nice on my screen. But I would like some input regarding what monitor calibration to use when displaying my images on the web. Should I adjust my images with correct curves, levels, etc. when I know that most people don’t have the same (correct) monitor calibration as I do? This only concerns displaying images on the web in one form or another. Not printing them. On most computers (friends, at work, etc) I find that the monitors show my photos a touch to bright if they are correctly calibrated.
When you build a website or upload your photos to some site, which calibration do you go by? Do you adjust you photos so that they look good on your screen when the audience (most of them at least)will see them a bit brighter or darker? I seem to constantly struggle with this and of course I would like the photos to display correctly everywhere but that’s not possible.

I would be thankful for some input.

Hakan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don McCahill
Sep 4, 2003
A calibrated image will only look correct on another calibrated screen, or in print. It is for print production that the calibration is necessary.

If your aim is to produce work for the web, then you should not calibrate (or if so, switch the colorspace to sRGB). I suspect that less than 1% of the computers on the web are calibrated.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Sep 4, 2003
when I know that most people don’t have the same (correct) monitor calibration as I do?

probably not, but how would you know what theres is?

But as don sais sRGB is the way for you to go, the easy thing is save for web.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections