J
Posted By
jimmanning
Sep 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to upgrade my computer, it is used mostly with PS 7.0. What would be the best built or homebrew computer less moniter for under $1000. Thanks, Jim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Sep 4, 2003
<http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/default.htm>

They knock off $150 or more on the refurbished computers. And a quick search showed thousands of refurbs in stock.

Or you can go down the street and get mom&pop to build you a system.
NB
Natalie Busch
Sep 4, 2003
I just purchased a brand new Dell PC along with a monitor etc for under $750. (tax & shipping incl) I also use PS 7.0 and I was mostly concerned with how much hardrive, RAM, and whether it came with an integrated graphics card or an upgraded graphics card. The processor is 2.4ghz, 256RAM, 80 GB hardrive and a non-integrated 64MB GEForce graphics card w/ TV-Out. This exceeds the limits I was aiming for and didnt break the bank either. I chose a DELL b/c that is what we use at work and I use 3 different graphics software at once to perform my job and the Dell PC performs incredibly.
P
Phosphor
Sep 4, 2003
Whatever you get, make sure you get XP.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2003
Crap. That’s twice he said that. I’m toast.
BC
bart.cross
Sep 4, 2003
Well Chris wasn’t always XP friendly, so don’t sweat it.

WIN2K doesn’t have any bugs that cause my system to fail. The system is on at least 14 hours a day, seven days a week (I have two of these machines). My only complaint with XP is that it just does not respect ‘manual’ settings for networking. My backup computer has XP so it always seems to be missing from the network occassionally where the two WIN2K computers are always there.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2003
ID,

My backup computer has XP so it always seems to be missing from the network occassionally where the two WIN2K computers are always there.

Funny you should say that. I have a laptop running XP on the network, but mostly to share the DSL. It can’t be seen, nor can it see, other puters on the network either. I always figured that one day I’d muscle through it and figure it out, it’s just that that day hasn’t arrived yet <grin>. I’m still in win98SE btw; I’ve been stable as heck, I reboot once a day and haven’t seen a BSOD in about a year. I know it’s time, but I’d rather wait until I have enough dough to upgrade PC’s instead of having to try to upgrade 7 PC’s to XP with a license pack. So I’m nervous about PS8 – if it doesn’t run (or run well) on Win98, then the upgrade costs me significantly more.

Sigh.

Peace,
Tony
PH
Photo Help
Sep 4, 2003
You do have the NetBios protocol in your network configuration don’t you?

I have had no problems with XP shares on my networks.

I still don’t like the default look of XP and won’t be happy if they do away with the classic settings but it is just as fast and stable as 2K ever was with more driver compatibility.

jimmanning,

Go with a Dell Dimension (4600 or 8300) or Dell Precision workstation 360 if you want more memory a more business like configuration (XP Pro) and a longer warranty. Be sure to check both the home and the small business configurations if you go with the Dimension Series. Always customize the featured systems you can save $100 or more that way.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2003
Photo,

You do have the NetBios protocol in your network configuration don’t you?

I’ve never spent the time in XP to play, which is what I was saying – one day I’ll muscle through it, but that’s where I’d look first. So the short answer is "no, not in XP, only in my existing win98 PtP".
PH
Photo Help
Sep 4, 2003
Tony,

About upgrading to a new OS. It just isn’t worth it anymore. These days it is cheaper and easier (all things considered) just to buy a new computer with the newest OS. Brand new everything with warranty as well as still having the old one as a spare.

I have seen far too many people spend way too much money on OS upgrades, new CD recorders, etc. only to have the old original hard drive crash or a power supply die on their old slow computer. The sad part is they could have kept the old computer and bought a new one for the same price of doing minor upgrades that don’t do a lot to improve performance on older systems anyway.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2003
Photo,

Yeah, I know – but for me that means five new units, so I’m holding off until I absolutely MUST make the change, and PS8 MAY be it.

Then I’ll have to buy at least 4 new PC’s and probably upgrade the dog machine that just runs simple routines (non PS) in the background.

Point is, once you NEED to make the move, if you have more than one PC, it gets very pricey. In the long run, it’s a better investment, and I sure would like to move from 700 MHz to something (shall we say?) from this century in terms of processor, but cash is King if ya know what I mean.

Peace,
Tony
PH
Photo Help
Sep 4, 2003
Tony,

I fully understand. We need about 50 new systems here and the powers at be don’t want to spend the money.

If you have employees using those systems and you are paying them overtime or taking in less work due to the slow systems you currently have it is much easier to justify a monthly payment to get some new computers.

It is nice to save the money in advance, but sometimes the extra cost of a lease is less than the cost of extra wages if you wait.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2003
Believe me bro – already there. It’s a priority/outlay issue. At some level it’s "Rent or PC’s" – not that bad, but you get the point. Don’t get me wrong, it’s going to happen, just not today. And as I say, since Photoshop is a mission critical app for us, if there are problems running PS 8 on Win98, then the priorities change.

Appreciate the commentary though.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave milbut
Sep 4, 2003
if you’re upgrading and can keep some componants, check out <http://www.googlegear.com> ‘s barebones systems. i just got a p4 2.8c hyperthreaded w/intel d865perl mobo 800mhz bus w/a gig of pc3200 ddr (400mhz) ram for 759 bux. a baaaaahgan.

threw in a 160 gig serial ata seagate drive and samsung dvd/cdrw combo and w/shipping it came out to ~1100.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections