Posted By
Kelpie
Jan 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

Have a new notebook arriving tomorrow, the sole purpose for this machine will be processing pics while on the road. naturally I will partition the HD, but not sure where to install PS and which partition to make as the scratch disk.

Cheers,
Mark

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

A
Avery
Jan 18, 2006
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:42:10 +1100, "Kelpie" wrote:

Hi All,

Have a new notebook arriving tomorrow, the sole purpose for this machine will be processing pics while on the road. naturally I will partition the HD, but not sure where to install PS and which partition to make as the scratch disk.

Cheers,
Mark
Why will you partition the HD?

If you are looking for performance I really don’t see how this would be worthwile.
Of course I could be totally wrong.

Maybe someone out there could explain this concept.
LL
Leonard Lehew
Jan 18, 2006

Hi All,

Cheers,
Mark
I can’t think of any advantages to partitioning the HD. In some circumstances, it may slow the machine down. The best thing you can do for good PS performance is to get plenty of memory. I recommend 2GB or more. That will do more for PS performance than anything you can do with your hard drive.

Leonard
E
edjh
Jan 18, 2006
Kelpie wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers,
Mark
I think what’s recommended is that you install on the primary partition and reserve the entire secondary partition as the Scratch disk.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
K
Kelpie
Jan 18, 2006
"edjh" wrote in message
Kelpie wrote:
Hi All,

Have a new notebook arriving tomorrow, the sole purpose for this machine will be processing pics while on the road. naturally I will partition
the
HD, but not sure where to install PS and which partition to make as the scratch disk.

Cheers,
Mark
I think what’s recommended is that you install on the primary partition and reserve the entire secondary partition as the Scratch disk.

So if I intend to have ‘other’ stuff on the secondary partition, should I make a 3rd partition to dedicate for PS?

Comics art for sale:
N
nomail
Jan 18, 2006
edjh wrote:

Kelpie wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers,
Mark

It is recommended that you use a different physical hard disk as scratch disk if you do have more than one disk. I do not see the advantage of using a separate partition if you only have one hard disk.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
E
edjh
Jan 18, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
edjh wrote:

Kelpie wrote:

Hi All,

Cheers,
Mark

It is recommended that you use a different physical hard disk as scratch disk if you do have more than one disk. I do not see the advantage of using a separate partition if you only have one hard disk.
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327863.html
I don’t know; this is what they recommend and this is what we used to do at work. I think the idea is that a partition would give you more contiguous free space and be more efficient.

Comics art for sale:
A
adykes
Jan 18, 2006
In article ,
Avery wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers,
Mark
Why will you partition the HD?

If you are looking for performance I really don’t see how this would be worthwile.
Of course I could be totally wrong.

Maybe someone out there could explain this concept.

Ditto. Just keep the C drive cleanly defragged. There’s nothing else you can do with just one disk.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.
YD
yodel_dodel
Jan 18, 2006
Leonard Lehew wrote:

I can’t think of any advantages to partitioning the HD.

The classic configuration of a single drive PC is to have two partitions.

The first partition will hold the operating system plus all software you ever install.

The other partition is for all user data you ever create or collect, no matter what application.

The advantages are at least three:

1. You can re-install or upgrade your operating system or any application program without losing any of your data
2. You can limit your frequent and regular backup activities to the 2nd partition
3. If you ever work on a LAN and want to share your data, you can limit shared access to the 2nd partition – you don’t want anybody on the LAN to mess with your op system.

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
CJ
C J Southern
Jan 18, 2006
"Greg N." wrote in message

1. You can re-install or upgrade your operating system or any application program without losing any of your data
2. You can limit your frequent and regular backup activities to the 2nd partition
3. If you ever work on a LAN and want to share your data, you can limit shared access to the 2nd partition – you don’t want anybody on the LAN to mess with your op system.

Unfortunately …

By partitioning, you take a performance hit – the heads have to seek large distances between the partitions on a regular basis.

The "advantages" you mention can easy be accomplished simply by creating a common folder for your data (I use "C:\Data"). Since "C:\Data" isn’t a system created folder the OS won’t touch it if you have to reinstall (unless you choose to format the partiton – in which case your data should be backed up anyway). In terms of backups, you simply backup the "data" folder – and if you’re on a LAN you simply share the data folder (or whatever portion of it you wish).

Easy 🙂

The disadvantages of partitioning is that you never know in advance what the optimum size is – many laptops come configured this way and they’re a pain in the butt – I’ve lost count of the number of times a customer fills up the D partition with music or video content and (basically) screws up the machine) when they still have 20+ GB on the C partition available.
A
Avery
Jan 18, 2006
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:08:01 +0100, "Greg N." wrote:

Leonard Lehew wrote:

I can’t think of any advantages to partitioning the HD.

The classic configuration of a single drive PC is to have two partitions.
The first partition will hold the operating system plus all software you ever install.

The other partition is for all user data you ever create or collect, no matter what application.

All true, but it does nothing to increase performance.
A
Avery
Jan 18, 2006
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:53:41 -0500, edjh wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
edjh wrote:

Kelpie wrote:

Hi All,

Cheers,
Mark

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327863.html
I don’t know; this is what they recommend and this is what we used to do at work. I think the idea is that a partition would give you more contiguous free space and be more efficient.

As the Adobe page says -preferably on a different physical drive. Multiple partitions on a single drive will have zero improvement in performance and may increase average seek times and latency thereby reducing performance.

You will only have contiguous free space if you regularly defrag. the partition.

There are good reasons for having your data on different partition to the OS, but performance is not one of them.
YD
yodel_dodel
Jan 19, 2006
C J Southern wrote:

Unfortunately …

By partitioning, you take a performance hit – the heads have to seek large distances between the partitions on a regular basis.

The obsession with "seek time performance impacts" was justified decades ago on multiuser time sharing mainframes and slow stone age harddisks.

Today, even if it were still true, the hit is minimal on a single user system. And by the way, if you have enough memory, what accesses go to the opsys partition on a "regular basis"? In practice, it is more like "once in a while". Not enough to matter much, anyways.

The "advantages" you mention can easy be accomplished … (unless you choose to format the partiton).

That’s what I’m talking about.

– in which case your data should be backed up anyway

Well, sure, you should always have backups, but why you should need backups of your user data partition more badly when you format the opsys partition isn’t clear to me.

if you’re on a LAN you simply share the data folder (or whatever portion of it you wish).

And each time you create a new folder, you update your sharing permissions?

Easy.

Difficult.

The disadvantages of partitioning is that you never know in advance what the optimum size is…

Ever heard of a program called Partition Magic? But here I agree, if you don’t have that one, don’t partition your disk.

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
YD
yodel_dodel
Jan 19, 2006
Avery wrote:

All true, but it does nothing to increase performance.

The OP’s question did not ask how to "increase performance" but simply what’s best.

The post I replied to said, "I can’t think of any advantages to partitioning the HD.". I don’t agree. Partitioning has its merits, although maybe not mainly in the performance department.

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
D
Dave
Jan 19, 2006
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:05:18 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

I do not see the advantage of
using a separate partition if you only have one hard disk.

Hallo Johan

Let me add to the three advantages being mentioned by Greg. And why I will never work with a single drive.

I have got two different disks on my PC, by my main disk itself, is partitioned to two drives. And I find it of utmost importance because on the second drive is where I ALWAYS leave a image of the main drive (using Norton Ghost while there is quite a few alternatives for imaging drives).

If I lose for some or another reason my main drive, or pick up problems with viruses being difficult to get rid of, I simply replace my main drive with the image, on which I keep
things like virus definitions on the virus killer up to date.

A second partition and the necessary software of course, means turning over pages (or renewing
your main drive:-) in 15 minutes or less.

An image can be saved on a DVD as well, but (it is not practical) not if you update it as often as I do.

Dave
N
nomail
Jan 19, 2006
Dave wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:05:18 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

I do not see the advantage of
using a separate partition if you only have one hard disk.

Hallo Johan

Let me add to the three advantages being mentioned by Greg. And why I will never work with a single drive.

I have got two different disks on my PC, by my main disk itself, is partitioned to two drives. And I find it of utmost importance because on the second drive is where I ALWAYS leave a image of the main drive (using Norton Ghost while there is quite a few alternatives for imaging drives).

If I lose for some or another reason my main drive, or pick up problems with viruses being difficult to get rid of, I simply replace my main drive with the image, on which I keep
things like virus definitions on the virus killer up to date.
A second partition and the necessary software of course, means turning over pages (or renewing
your main drive:-) in 15 minutes or less.

An image can be saved on a DVD as well, but (it is not practical) not if you update it as often as I do.

I obviously meant that I do not see the advantage for PHOTOSHOP to have its swapfile on a different partition on the startup drive. That won’t speed up anything. Your personal reasons to use partitions do not interest me.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
D
Dave
Jan 19, 2006
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:32:49 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

I obviously meant that I do not see the advantage for PHOTOSHOP to have its swapfile on a different partition on the startup drive. That won’t speed up anything. Your personal reasons to use partitions do not interest me.

I visit this newsgroup once or twice a week, Johan. Therefore I am guilty of not knowing you were talking about the swap file on another partition; and only reacted on the sentence I quoted.

More than only once or twice I read your helping replies on problems, and this sarcastic answer on what was meant to be informative, was disappointing and not expected.

Dave
YD
yodel_dodel
Jan 19, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

I obviously meant that I do not see the advantage for PHOTOSHOP to have its swapfile on a different partition on the startup drive.

What’s good for my computer is good for any of its applications and data.

That won’t speed up anything.

There are tons of potential merits in computer optimization beyond speeding things up.

Your personal reasons to use partitions do not interest me.

Fine. But don’t confuse what interests you with what matters.

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
N
nomail
Jan 19, 2006
Dave wrote:

I visit this newsgroup once or twice a week, Johan. Therefore I am guilty of not knowing you were talking about the swap file on another partition; and only reacted on the sentence I quoted.
More than only once or twice I read your helping replies on problems, and this sarcastic answer on what was meant to be informative, was disappointing and not expected.

Even if you visit a newsgroup only once or twice a week, there is no reason not to read the entire thread before reacting. If you react ‘out of the blue’ on something, without knowing in what context it was said, you run the risk of getting a sarcastic answer. I felt that I was lectured about the use of partitions in general, and I didn’t like that, hence my reaction. Sorry if I offended you.

N
nomail
Jan 19, 2006
Greg N. wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

D
Dave
Jan 19, 2006
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:25:09 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Dave wrote:

Even if you visit a newsgroup only once or twice a week, there is no reason not to read the entire thread before reacting. If you react ‘out of the blue’ on something, without knowing in what context it was said, you run the risk of getting a sarcastic answer. I felt that I was lectured about the use of partitions in general, and I didn’t like that, hence my reaction. Sorry if I offended you.

I’ll never doubt that you were lectured about partitions and the use of it, and there is little chance that I would try to teach you anything. But answering somebody on Usenet, is most of the time meant for the wider audience, which has also been the case here. And maybe you will be surprised if you find out how many experienced people is only specializing on one or two subjects and do not know about something like the program I mentioned. What did you say to Mike? Backup!

Sorry if I offended you.

Not keeping it against you:-)

Dave
D
Dave
Jan 19, 2006
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:31:04 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Greg N. wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

Fine. But don’t confuse what interest you with what matters.

Dave
YD
yodel_dodel
Jan 19, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

who you’re talking to doesn’t interest me.

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 19, 2006
"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:31:04 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Greg N. wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

Zing!

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
CJ
C J Southern
Jan 20, 2006
"Greg N." wrote in message

The "advantages" you mention can easy be accomplished … (unless you choose to format the partiton).

That’s what I’m talking about.

I’m not sure how often you format your partitions to reload – for me it’s about once every 3 years.

– in which case your data should be backed up anyway

Well, sure, you should always have backups, but why you should need backups of your user data partition more badly when you format the opsys partition isn’t clear to me.

Because it’s guaranteed to be "up to the minute" – and the fact that restores can (and do) fail.

if you’re on a LAN you simply share the data folder (or whatever portion
of
it you wish).

And each time you create a new folder, you update your sharing
permissions?

If the folder is created within your shared data folder you don’t have to – the permissions are inherited from the parent folder by default.

The disadvantages of partitioning is that you never know in advance what
the
optimum size is…

Ever heard of a program called Partition Magic? But here I agree, if you don’t have that one, don’t partition your disk.

Yes I have – I’m not sure what the later versions are like but there was a risk with the earler versions when used on NTFS partitions. But in my case I don’t need it because I don’t partition my disks – for me it has 2 distinct disadvantages (performance and the ‘rigid curtain’) and no advantages.

Over and out.
N
nomail
Jan 20, 2006
Dave wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

*PLONK*

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections